Crankitup

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
I agree that he was the best ODI opener in the world for a long period, but he has struggled at times in the format and seems to struggling this WC to the detriment of the side.
I wouldn't call a century at a run a ball or thereabouts in only his 4th game back struggling. I'm prepared to cut him some slack TBH.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richard Pryor

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I wouldn't call a century at a run a ball or thereabouts in only his 4th game back struggling. I'm prepared to cut him some slack TBH.
I'd call losing us the game against India struggling. Don't understand why I should cut the guy slack for being dead weight in two out of three contests (don't really count the Afghanistan game since the bowlers already had it won before Warner padded up).

It's the biggest tournament in the sport, not a time to be giving a guy the time to settle in.

Crankitup

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
I Don't understand why I should cut the guy slack for being dead weight in two out of three contests ...
In one of those two he scored a 50 .. used up a few too many balls yes but no one gave us much chance of chasing that total. A total we should never have been chasing had we bowled and fielded better. Haven't seen you call any bowlers dead weight but I stand to be corrected. In any case, I think the time in the middle stood him in good stead for the following match where he scored a ton.

Can we apply your standards to Usman khawaja? He didn't get past 20 in two of the matches that you're counting and again in the other match you're not counting. So surely by your rationale he's dead weight also and should be cut.

... (don't really count the Afghanistan game since the bowlers already had it won before Warner padded up).
And yet I'm sure had he failed you would be counting that game.

It's the biggest tournament in the sport, not a time to be giving a guy the time to settle in.
You mean like Zampa et al? At this stage of the tournament we only need to make the semis, which we've just about guaranteed. No panic stations.

Last edited:

Richard Pryor

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In one of those two he scored a 50 .. used up a few too many balls yes but no one gave us much chance of chasing that total. A total we should never have been chasing had we bowled and fielded better. Haven't seen you call any bowlers dead weight but I stand to be corrected. In any case, I think the time in the middle stood him in good stead for the following match where he scored a ton.
His slow 50 as an opener tanked the innings and pretty much guaranteed a loss. Super-slow runs are worse than no runs in modern ODI cricket.
Can we apply your standards to Usman khawaja? He didn't get past 20 in two of the matches that you're counting and again in the other match you're not counting. So surely by your rationale he's dead weight also and should be cut.
Khawaja in the middle order should be cut, could be worth a run opening but Warner replaced him.

And yet I'm sure had he failed you would be counting that game.
Yeah, just like how I counted the West Indies game?

In any case he isn't getting dropped so it's kind of a moot point. Would like to see Khawaja opening and Warner a bit down the order so he doesn't put the middle order under pressure if he's a bit stodgy (Khawaja can be stodgy but has been consistently solid opening more recently than Warner).

Last edited:

Crankitup

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
In any case he isn't getting dropped so it's kind of a moot point. Would like to see Khawaja opening and Warner a bit down the order so he doesn't put the middle order under pressure if he's a bit stodgy (Khawaja can be stodgy but has been consistently solid opening more recently than Warner).
Agreed.

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure if we won that game or Sri Lanka lost it, one thing's for sure if you make 330 batting first you're always going to be hard to beat.

grumbleguts

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tully FNQ
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Maybe you can sand it back a little on defending him, and just see how it pans out. He played for himself in both innings and didn't give a damn about his team mates and their attempts to win the match.

frankrizzo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
I was sure warner had to open at this world cup as he usually makes good use of those early overs but if he does continue to be scratchy i don't see why he couldn't bat at 4 and have khawaja open the batting.

gordo2016

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Maybe you can sand it back a little on defending him, and just see how it pans out. He played for himself in both innings and didn't give a damn about his team mates and their attempts to win the match.
Bulls**t. If anything he has sacrificed his own game for the sake of his team. He is trying to get them off to a solid start and has achieved this. They have won four out five and made three scores of over 300 and one close to 300. If he had teed off early and got out cheaply, you would bag him as well. He just can't win with people like you.

Crankitup

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
'Sand it back' never heard that one. Maybe you can sand it back a little in advancing the case for his prosecution and see how it pans out yourself.

He is a piece of garbage that should never have been brought back into the side without first proving form. He is a selfish piece of detritus one might wipe off their shoe before entering a public toilet, who bats solely for himself and deserves every piece of criticism the commentators fire at him. Hope this helps.
You seem to have an insight into his thought processes and motivations. Got him on speed dial or just an uncanny ability to read his mind?

Let's just agree to see what happens eh? If he starts playing out of his skin and we win the World Cup maybe you'll start praising him again like you used to (e.g. below).

Steve smith is in good form as is warner. The rest of the batting lineup are just that - a rest.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woody15

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2010
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
********. If anything he has sacrificed his own game for the sake of his team. He is trying to get them off to a solid start and has achieved this. They have won four out five and made three scores of over 300 and one close to 300. If he had teed off early and got out cheaply, you would bag him as well. He just can't win with people like you.
Couldn't agree more Gordo. Finch was going well and we were off to a solid start to launch from there.

Actually I think the Sri Lankans bowled better to Warner - he didn't get a few of those wide half volleys Finch did. They bowled fairly straight to Warner.

Certainly willing to cut him some slack. What counts is what happens towards the later rounds. Seems a few people in here are willing to stick the boots in very early. We were 0-80 after 16. Hardly a need to panic at this stage.

Top Bottom