World Cup Day 17 Australia v Sri Lanka @ The Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly Khawaja wasn’t helped but he seems to have only one viable position and it’s taken. Marsh had excelled with an average near 50 at 3 and 4. He only lacks ‘adaptability’ if you try to turn him into a late time set big hitter.
Yep, reminds me of when they put Paine in at seven for some reason when he got a run in the ODI side. Trying to shove a square peg into a round hole.

Mitch Marsh in form would solve a lot of our problems.

Lower middle order hitter. One of Khawaja and S.Marsh goes out and the other has to bat at #3. Stops them from clogging up the end our innings with the bat.

5th bowling option. Maxwell becomes our 6th option where he is more suited. If they have a seam all rounder they will also go back to picking a spinner. 20 overs from M.Marsh, Maxwell & spinner > 20 overs from Maxwell and 4th quick bowler.

Then we would have to work out the preferred #3, the preferred spinner, the preferred third quick and tell Warner to up the s/r or GTFO. All solve able in the remaining group games.

So hurry up and rule Stoinis out please. Mitch Marsh in is a Hail Mary but our only chance of getting the structure right.
I'd rather have Stoinis, Marsh, and our 3 best bowlers - get through 20 overs between Stoinis, Marsh, and Maxwell. But that isn't an option unfortunately

If we scored as a team at the rate Warner's been scoring, we'd average 230.1 per innings. We'd be 0 - 5 or 1 - 4 at best. What frustrates me most is,he's doing it deliberately. Blocking and leaving, not swinging and missing. Swinging and missing I could handle.

Haven't seen too many leaves except for maybe at the very start of his innings. A few blocks yes, mainly of yorkers, which I wish a few of our bowled out batsmen would've done. I'm sure he'll prove invaluable before the end of this tournament. Come to think of it, his century the other day at about a run a ball was pretty important.

Just saw on Twitter that people were complaining about Finch being given not out LBW on the review by Sri Lanka.

It shouldn't have even been umpires call, it was outside the line of off stump and the decision was one hundred percent correct.

I think there are many people out there who really don't understand the LBW rule ..... including players who should know better.

If we scored as a team at the rate Warner's been scoring, we'd average 230.1 per innings. We'd be 0 - 5 or 1 - 4 at best. What frustrates me most is,he's doing it deliberately. Blocking and leaving, not swinging and missing. Swinging and missing I could handle.

50 over cricket doesn't seem to suit Warner as much as Test cricket and T20. Not sure why that is, but it seems to be the case. Not sure why that would be the case when you consider the powerplays which encourages the batsman to hit over the top. I really have no idea why he plays so many dot balls.

50 over cricket doesn't seem to suit Warner as much as Test cricket and T20. Not sure why that is, but it seems to be the case. Not sure why that would be the case when you consider the powerplays which encourages the batsman to hit over the top. I really have no idea why he plays so many dot balls.
Test cricket, the field is permanently up, so there's plenty of room in the outfield. T20 you with with abandon and play recklessly with impunity. OD cricket should be the best of both worlds, but for warner it seems to be the worst of both worlds.

Haven't seen too many leaves except for maybe at the very start of his innings. A few blocks yes, mainly of yorkers, which I wish a few of our bowled out batsmen would've done. I'm sure he'll prove invaluable before the end of this tournament. Come to think of it, his century the other day at about a run a ball was pretty important.
Except, if we played against anyone who was better than a club cricketer at fielding,, he woudn't have had the century. Was a poor innings.

Khawaja wasn't helped by his role a couple of times either. Considering he was the best in 2019 coming into the cup as an opener, he should be allowed to flourish in his best role like Marsh, no? Why should he be dropped entirely and Marsh massaged into his best position when both have shown a lack of adaptability?
Khawaja has batted at no.3 three times this tournament, once at no.4 and once at no.5 and still hasn’t made a half-century.

Marsh has batted twice. Once at no.5 and once at no.6. Marsh deserves at least one shot coming at no.3 or no.4 where he averages in excess of 40 in both positions.

Except, if we played against anyone who was better than a club cricketer at fielding,, he woudn't have had the century. Was a poor innings.

Bit harsh I think. If you think his innings was poor what does that say about the rest of the Aussie batsmen in that match? In only his 4th international match since his return he was the only batsman bar Finch to pass 50.

Test cricket, the field is permanently up, so there's plenty of room in the outfield. T20 you with with abandon and play recklessly with impunity. OD cricket should be the best of both worlds, but for warner it seems to be the worst of both worlds.

Once again, a bit harsh. If he was in such regard at the long form of the game in comparison to one day matches, why is it that he didn't make his Test debut until 2 years after his ODI debut? For international players who have played at least 50 innings for their country his strike rate in ODI's is the 6th highest ever FFS. He's also 25 places higher than Finch in terms of batting average in ODI's too.

Once again, a bit harsh. If he was in such regard at the long form of the game in comparison to one day matches, why is it that he didn't make his Test debut until 2 years after his ODI debut? For international players who have played at least 50 innings for their country his strike rate in ODI's is the 6th highest ever FFS.
He really only got a run in the ODI side because of his T20 dominance but he was horrendous in ODI's at the start of his career.

In those two years between his ODI and Test debut Warner averaged 21 at a SR of 78 in ODI's. I agree that he was the best ODI opener in the world for a long period, but he has struggled at times in the format and seems to struggling this WC to the detriment of the side.

I agree that he was the best ODI opener in the world for a long period, but he has struggled at times in the format and seems to struggling this WC to the detriment of the side.

I wouldn't call a century at a run a ball or thereabouts in only his 4th game back struggling. I'm prepared to cut him some slack TBH.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't call a century at a run a ball or thereabouts in only his 4th game back struggling. I'm prepared to cut him some slack TBH.
I'd call losing us the game against India struggling. Don't understand why I should cut the guy slack for being dead weight in two out of three contests (don't really count the Afghanistan game since the bowlers already had it won before Warner padded up).

It's the biggest tournament in the sport, not a time to be giving a guy the time to settle in.

I Don't understand why I should cut the guy slack for being dead weight in two out of three contests ...
In one of those two he scored a 50 .. used up a few too many balls yes but no one gave us much chance of chasing that total. A total we should never have been chasing had we bowled and fielded better. Haven't seen you call any bowlers dead weight but I stand to be corrected. In any case, I think the time in the middle stood him in good stead for the following match where he scored a ton.

Can we apply your standards to Usman khawaja? He didn't get past 20 in two of the matches that you're counting and again in the other match you're not counting. So surely by your rationale he's dead weight also and should be cut.

... (don't really count the Afghanistan game since the bowlers already had it won before Warner padded up).

And yet I'm sure had he failed you would be counting that game.

It's the biggest tournament in the sport, not a time to be giving a guy the time to settle in.

You mean like Zampa et al? At this stage of the tournament we only need to make the semis, which we've just about guaranteed. No panic stations.

Last edited:
In one of those two he scored a 50 .. used up a few too many balls yes but no one gave us much chance of chasing that total. A total we should never have been chasing had we bowled and fielded better. Haven't seen you call any bowlers dead weight but I stand to be corrected. In any case, I think the time in the middle stood him in good stead for the following match where he scored a ton.
His slow 50 as an opener tanked the innings and pretty much guaranteed a loss. Super-slow runs are worse than no runs in modern ODI cricket.
Can we apply your standards to Usman khawaja? He didn't get past 20 in two of the matches that you're counting and again in the other match you're not counting. So surely by your rationale he's dead weight also and should be cut.
Khawaja in the middle order should be cut, could be worth a run opening but Warner replaced him.

And yet I'm sure had he failed you would be counting that game.
Yeah, just like how I counted the West Indies game?

In any case he isn't getting dropped so it's kind of a moot point. Would like to see Khawaja opening and Warner a bit down the order so he doesn't put the middle order under pressure if he's a bit stodgy (Khawaja can be stodgy but has been consistently solid opening more recently than Warner).

Last edited:
In any case he isn't getting dropped so it's kind of a moot point. Would like to see Khawaja opening and Warner a bit down the order so he doesn't put the middle order under pressure if he's a bit stodgy (Khawaja can be stodgy but has been consistently solid opening more recently than Warner).

Agreed.

Maybe you can sand it back a little on defending him, and just see how it pans out. He played for himself in both innings and didn't give a damn about his team mates and their attempts to win the match.

Maybe you can sand it back a little on defending him, and just see how it pans out. He played for himself in both innings and didn't give a damn about his team mates and their attempts to win the match.
Bullshit. If anything he has sacrificed his own game for the sake of his team. He is trying to get them off to a solid start and has achieved this. They have won four out five and made three scores of over 300 and one close to 300. If he had teed off early and got out cheaply, you would bag him as well. He just can't win with people like you.

'Sand it back' never heard that one. Maybe you can sand it back a little in advancing the case for his prosecution and see how it pans out yourself.

He is a piece of garbage that should never have been brought back into the side without first proving form. He is a selfish piece of detritus one might wipe off their shoe before entering a public toilet, who bats solely for himself and deserves every piece of criticism the commentators fire at him. Hope this helps.

You seem to have an insight into his thought processes and motivations. Got him on speed dial or just an uncanny ability to read his mind?

Let's just agree to see what happens eh? If he starts playing out of his skin and we win the World Cup maybe you'll start praising him again like you used to (e.g. below).

Steve smith is in good form as is warner. The rest of the batting lineup are just that - a rest.

Last edited:
********. If anything he has sacrificed his own game for the sake of his team. He is trying to get them off to a solid start and has achieved this. They have won four out five and made three scores of over 300 and one close to 300. If he had teed off early and got out cheaply, you would bag him as well. He just can't win with people like you.
Couldn't agree more Gordo. Finch was going well and we were off to a solid start to launch from there.

Actually I think the Sri Lankans bowled better to Warner - he didn't get a few of those wide half volleys Finch did. They bowled fairly straight to Warner.

Certainly willing to cut him some slack. What counts is what happens towards the later rounds. Seems a few people in here are willing to stick the boots in very early. We were 0-80 after 16. Hardly a need to panic at this stage.

Back