World Cup Day 18 India v Pakistan @ Old Trafford

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clearly the plan was to see through two of the world's best ODI bowlers and cash in elsewhere. Thought that was pretty obvious.

You can see a bowler off but use some intent, use a straight bat, get it into the gaps, should comfortably in the first 10 be getting 4.5 an over as an absolute bare minimum.

We thought Warner's innings was bad..

You can see a bowler off but use some intent, use a straight bat, get it into the gaps, should comfortably in the first 10 be getting 4.5 an over as an absolute bare minimum.

We thought Warner's innings was bad..
Look at their batting attack beyond Azam. They couldn't afford to lose Imam early. Unfortunately they did anyway.
Very confusing. Slow S/R for openers is OK or not?
Depends how long they're in for.

Look at their batting attack beyond Azam. They couldn't afford to lose Imam early. Unfortunately they did anyway.

Depends how long they're in for.

I'm sorry but a bloke going at under 40 S/R in a ODI when you can go over the top early isn't great. Would you see the Englaand openers going at under 40? If the batting depth is an issue, play an extra bat. I don't think their batting is bad anyway, Hafeez and Malik are very solid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers. I just remember an aussie bloke getting hammered for a low s/r against these same bowlers.
He was out there for 6x as many balls and saw through the new bowlers. If he had shown intent after Bumrah and Kumar were out of the attack it'd have been fine. He didn't.
I'm sorry but a bloke going at under 40 S/R in a ODI when you can go over the top early isn't great. Would you see the Englaand openers going at under 40? If the batting depth is an issue, play an extra bat. I don't think their batting is bad anyway, Hafeez and Malik are very solid.
You also often see the English batting line-ups rolled for 200. That strategy isn't for everyone and it's still yet to be seen whether it will win a World Cup. Virtually meaningless how they play if they don't win the World Cup.

Both Hafeez and Malik average <35. I wouldn't be confident if they needed to make lots of runs.

Sep 29, 2003
far queue
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NSW Blues
He was out there for 6x as many balls and saw through the new bowlers. If he had shown intent after Bumrah and Kumar were out of the attack it'd have been fine. He didn't.

Sorry. I didn't realise you were one of those bagging Warner. I don't usually take much notice of who the poster is these days, just what is posted. I thought you must have been one of the Warner defenders. Carry on.

What a shot. Big for Pakistan if India need to get almost 40 overs from Shankar, Jadhav, Pandya, Yaday and Chalal. Gotta target 2 of those bowlers. Gee they have plenty of bowling options though.

You also often see the English batting line-ups rolled for 200. That strategy isn't for everyone and it's still yet to be seen whether it will win a World Cup. Virtually meaningless how they play if they don't win the World Cup.

Both Hafeez and Malik average <35. I wouldn't be confident if they needed to make lots of runs.

That's the gamble you take, the England side also score a lot more 340+ scores. You aren't winning this tournament plodding along to 280 at a max. You sort of have to push it early and get on with it.

If Malik and Hafeez stay in especially Hafeez who is in form, they are dangerous.

That's the gamble you take, the England side also score a lot more 340+ scores. You aren't winning this tournament plodding along to 280 at a max. You sort of have to push it early and get on with it.

If Malik and Hafeez stay in especially Hafeez who is in form, they are dangerous.
You seem to have this misconception that you have to approach your innings like England. Not every team has England's aggressive batsmen. Every team is going to structure their innings differently.

Hafeez's form is good. Not that great that I'd have much confidence in him though. They need wickets in hand if they want to chase this down.

You seem to have this misconception that you have to approach your innings like England. Not every team has England's aggressive batsmen. Every team is going to structure their innings differently.

Hafeez's form is good. Not that great that I'd have much confidence in him though. They need wickets in hand if they want to chase this down.

To win the tournament (in these conditions) you need to be similar to England, or India. We have the right way too with Warner and Finch even though you don't see it. You need a strong first powerplay. There is a good reason those three sides and you can add NZ who have Guptill, etc up the top...there is a reason they are the top 4 by a mile.

To win the tournament (in these conditions) you need to be similar to England, or India.
Why? You can only work with what you've got. Play to your strengths. Don't just copy other good teams.
We have the right way too with Warner and Finch even though you don't see it. You need a strong first powerplay. There is a good reason those three sides and you can add NZ who have Guptill, etc up the top...there is a reason they are the top 4 by a mile.
You harp on about how we have to attack early yet continue to defend our opener that has one of the lower strike rates in the whole tournament lol. I disagree anyway. Our wins in India showed our best chance is by structuring the innings rather than just throwing the bat. That's how we'll win. For the most part, that's what we've been doing. But there is room for improvement.

Wouldn't surprise me if England make the final and get rolled for 250 tbh.

Why? You can only work with what you've got. Play to your strengths. Don't just copy other good teams.

You harp on about how we have to attack early yet continue to defend our opener that has one of the lower strike rates in the whole tournament lol. I disagree anyway. Our wins in India showed our best chance is by structuring the innings rather than just throwing the bat. That's how we'll win. For the most part, that's what we've been doing. But there is room for improvement.

Wouldn't surprise me if England make the final and get rolled for 250 tbh.

If you don't try and be similar to the top 4, you are only going to be a middling team.

I'd be backing Warner to turn that S/R around. That one poor innings aside and it was terrible, the rest of his innings he has had a good enough S/R anyway. Our one issue is that we don't need both Khawaja and Marsh, one or the other. Replace Figjam Stoinis with Mitch Marsh, that immediately creates better balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back