World Cup Day 22 Australia v Bangladesh @ Trent Bridge

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Out with side strain, MMarsh in if I remember correctly

Wrong. Stoinis has been declared for a couple of days ago. Wish he was replaced by Mitch Marsh though

Yeah I think Mitch's bowling is a big upgrade and you lose nothing with the bat the form Stoinis is in.

Don’t get why when Jhye Richardson went down we didn’t just pick Marsh...instead Kane Richardson somehow got a spot!

My schadenfraude is torn. On the one hand, an Australian win would show this bad format for what it is by virtually locking-in the top four.

On the other, a Bangladesh win would be a great kick in the pants for those who still think Bangladesh is a 'minnow' or some such.

:think:
You want to stack the WC with all the smaller nations, how has the absolute best of them in Afghanistan gone again?

In saying that I think 2015's format was the best, just that quarter finals needed to be removed and instead just the top 3 from each group of 7 advance.

You want to stack the WC with all the smaller nations, how has the absolute best of them in Afghanistan gone again?

Sorry, would that be full member nation Afghanistan whose internal politics have resulted in a poor squad selection and terrible internal dynamic, to the point where the current coach has taken to twitter to attack his board?

Yeah, not really relevant to Scotland or the Netherlands, who currently lead the way in Associate cricket.

Agreed. This is an unusual WC where South Africa are terrible, SL are easybeats and even Pakistan are relatively poor. Adding more poor sides won’t suddenly improve it. We don’t need 10+ smaller nations

Sorry, would that be full member nation Afghanistan whose internal politics have resulted in a poor squad selection and terrible internal dynamic, to the point where the current coach has taken to twitter to attack his board?

Yeah, not really relevant to Scotland or the Netherlands, who currently lead the way in Associate cricket.
They are still a smaller cricket nation which is what I said, and use whatever excuses you want but they have been poor bordering on embarrassing at times especially in the field.

They are still a smaller cricket nation which is what I said, and use whatever excuses you want but they have been poor bordering on embarrassing at times especially in the field.

They've been shocking so far - though I wasn't too big on them in the lead up, the only team I thought they were a good chance of beating was Sri Lanka and they stuffed that up - and Scotland would've put up a much better showing.

And guess what? If we had a different format, they'd be gone from the tournament already. Instead they have to play another four games, even though they will likely be mathematically out of the running after tomorrow's match.

They've been shocking so far - though I wasn't too big on them in the lead up, the only team I thought they were a good chance of beating was Sri Lanka and they stuffed that up - and Scotland would've put up a much better showing.

And guess what? If we had a different format, they'd be gone from the tournament already. Instead they have to play another four games, even though they will likely be mathematically out of the running after tomorrow's match.

At least though those extra 4 games gives them experience. They need more experience and these games will help. Limit it to 1-2 smaller sides and give them more games. See that as a good thing.

At least though those extra 4 games gives them experience. They need more experience and these games will help. Limit it to 1-2 smaller sides and give them more games. See that as a good thing.

They're going to get plenty of games during the CWC Super League, which they will hopefully use to good effect in bringing in their actual best players rather than some of the ones they've picked for this one, in preparation for 2023.

But having this many games in a cup tournament that will be dead rubbers is ridiculous. More teams playing less games is better for everyone.

They're going to get plenty of games during the CWC Super League, which they will hopefully use to good effect in bringing in their actual best players rather than some of the ones they've picked for this one, in preparation for 2023.

But having this many games in a cup tournament that will be dead rubbers is ridiculous. More teams playing less games is better for everyone.

That’s where we disagree I genuinely feel the more games these teams play against the better sides the more they improve. Limit it to 1-2 maybe 3-4 in the t20 WC and get them playing more against the good sides.

The qualification tournament should be longer too get them playing more. The more they play the better they are.

Personally having 5+ smaller nations who are largely uncompetitive isn’t the right way. We will get to a stage where they are competitive but that's 20 years time not now. They need more experience. Let’s not go Rugby Union style and have Namibia getting flogged by a 100+.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just read a few weather reports for Nottingham. They are not that decisive but from what I can gather there may be some rain but probably mainly clear and a full match or near full match is likely.

Back