World Cup Day 24 Afghanistan v India @ Southampton, New Zealand v West Indies @ Old Trafford

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
Did it though?

NZ recovered from 2-0 to post basically 300, and recovered from 2-140 to have the game basically sewn up barring one freak innings. And their fifth bowler held his nerve.
Yes, they were 2 meters away from losing against an average West Indies side who had one of their batsmen hurt.

They are far too reliant on too few with the bat. Their good fortune will not last forever. Semis is where it ends for them.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes, they were 2 meters away from losing against an average West Indies side who had one of their batsmen hurt.

They are far too reliant on too few with the bat. Their good fortune will not last forever. Semis is where it ends for them.

Average WI side that actually DOES have a tonne of ability and got 80-odd at a run a ball from a bone fide limited overs legend and a century that was of a quality that you might see once every 2-3 years.

To be fair almost his entire (brief) odi career has been spent batting at 7 or lower (basically two thirds of his innings have been at 8) and he’s almost invariably been coming in after we’ve done our usual 4-24 collapse

In which case he should have a higher average with a lower strike-rate, trying to rebuild the innings.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
In which case he should have a higher average with a lower strike-rate, trying to rebuild the innings.

You don’t know how West Indies innings work do you.

Because of that damned T20 innings he’s been tasked with batting the same way all the time. The only times I can recall him actually coming in post collapse and batting properly, he’s nearly dragged his side to an improbable win - once when he made 50-odd at 7 in the series against england (he and Nurse resurrected a chase) and this morning.

The guy hit back to back half centuries in his first two tests, against a strong Australian attack. He can be a genuine asset if he’s not expected to just blast all the time.

You don’t know how West Indies innings work do you.

Because of that damned T20 innings he’s been tasked with batting the same way all the time. The only times I can recall him actually coming in post collapse and batting properly, he’s nearly dragged his side to an improbable win - once when he made 50-odd at 7 in the series against england (he and Nurse resurrected a chase) and this morning.

The guy hit back to back half centuries in his first two tests, against a strong Australian attack. He can be a genuine asset if he’s not expected to just blast all the time.

I know exactly how they work, and he has, after plenty of innings, failed to go either one way or the other. I think he's underrated in some ways, but his ODI batting has been awful and completely unreliable at scoring runs in any way.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I know exactly how they work, and he has, after plenty of innings, failed to go either one way or the other. I think he's underrated in some ways, but his ODI batting has been awful and completely unreliable at scoring runs in any way.

I don’t disagree but my point is he’s expected to go out and blast. He’s not that sort of player. Sure, he CAN do it. But not dissimilar to Gayle (only he takes a bit longer) he usually needs to build his way into an innings to do it.

The planning that goes into this side isn’t exactly smart - they spent 40 overs bowling short to Bangladesh ffs when it was clear after 5 overs that it wouldn’t work.
I am basically certain the Braithwaite has been told that his role is to bowl his 5-6 overs and bash thing when he bats.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Big Carlos has guaranteed his ODI spot for life now.

Unless it's going to swing heavy, stick with Henry.

Yes, Henry went to water in that penultimate over but on the whole has been a very good bowler for them for a while now. Would back Southee to nail more yorkers, but he's hardly a guarantee to not go the journey in short form cricket these days either.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The gap between talent and game awareness in the West Indies side is bigger than the pacific.
I’m watching the highlights now, f*** it’s frustrating

While the West Indies guys are probably the worst culprits, it's pretty endemic right through any side going around now as everyone is trying to push the boundaries.

Back