World Cup Day 6 Afghanistan v Sril Lanka @ Sophia Gardens.

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We save our best cricket for the real stuff. No point winning meaningless series when you can’t back it up at World Cup’s like Eng-er-land.

Tests don’t mean anything?

Kudos for australia’s ridiculous ability to rise for a World Cup, it’s uncanny (though to be fair for 3 of the 5, they’ve been miles better than basically any other team around anyway) but when it’s all said and done players are rarely going to be judged at the end of their careers purely on a one day trophy cabinet.

Australia have been ordinary for a number of year you won't get an argument here, batting especially has been flimsy and a bunch of flat home track bullies.

I'm taking nothing away from Sri Lanka, but South Africa minus ABDV just isn't the same. Miss watching ABDV at the top level.

Look it leaves a f***ing huge hole in their line up for sure and at the moment aside from Markram and De Kock they don’t look like they’ve found any young guys that can fill the entire Smith-Kallis-AB-Amla hole that has developed. But I’d hesitate given how good their bowling production line is, to say that they are going to plummet down the ladder

Look it leaves a f***ing huge hole in their line up for sure and at the moment aside from Markram and De Kock they don’t look like they’ve found any young guys that can fill the entire Smith-Kallis-AB-Amla hole that has developed. But I’d hesitate given how good their bowling production line is, to say that they are going to plummet down the ladder

Depends how many bowlers they lose to the UK via the Kolpak thing already have lost a gun in Oliver.

Tests don’t mean anything?

Kudos for australia’s ridiculous ability to rise for a World Cup, it’s uncanny (though to be fair for 3 of the 5, they’ve been miles better than basically any other team around anyway) but when it’s all said and done players are rarely going to be judged at the end of their careers purely on a one day trophy cabinet.
I’m talking about ODI cricket, not test cricket. There is a lot of experimenting with different players in between each World Cup. I will take stinking it up in the years between if it means we’re at our best for the real deal.

They have but looking through their domestic wicket takers there’s no shortage of others. Don’t know if any were as good as him though. He looked fearsome at times last summer

Hopefully they manage to get him back somehow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could be set for a washout. Better now than near the end of the round robin stage. Better now than in a match that could have semi final permutations.

Is there really any need to add at ODIs to the end of that post? What we saw in the summer suggests they are pretty putrid at Tests as well and would probably have lost to Afghanistan in a test match...

They proved that with their 2-0 win away from home over South Africa.

As opposed to England who proved their pedigree by losing a series to the West Indies

We could be set for a washout. Better now than near the end of the round robin stage. Better now than in a match that could have semi final permutations.

At least it's in one of the least important matches, that's a positive from a tournament point of view.

The rains stopped, covers off and the umps are currently inspecting the ground.
Hope they get back on and Afghanistan get a chance to win the match.
At least it's in one of the least important matches, that's a positive from a tournament point of view.
I'd argue a potential WC win for Afghanistan is actually quite important to the future of international cricket.

Back