• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
NCN is a real issue for the team.

On the one hand you obviously value that sort of striking at No.8. On the other hand, he's just a fairly vanilla, slapable bowler. Does nothing with the ball, predictable back of a length perfect hitting pace.

If he is to make that spot his he just has to provide more value with the ball.

Nonetheless a terrific innings last night.

And my god while there's all the carnage going on, Smith just looks completely at ease and in control.

With talk of another spinner coming in for the game against India will he replace NCM.OR should it be Stoinis.A tough decision for the selectors.

gtrxuone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 20, 2014
W.A.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Black Ducks
What a horrible decision the Chris Gayle dismissal was.Spoilt a wonderful game of CwC ODI cricket.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
I didn't watch it all, but what a great win by the Aussies. For all of the problems you guys have had over the last year or so, they were always going to be a threat once the world cup came around. Smith was magnificent last night. Showed how missed he has been.

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
He actually bowled better at the death but just two out of the first 46 overs is unacceptable for a bloke picked because he can bowl, like marsh in the tests either back the bloke and bowl him or don't pick him.
Ill give you that - his last 2 overs were very good.

I personally would have gone with MMarsh or at least had him in the squad as a backup. I can see us carrying Stoinis throughout the tournament.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
What a horrible decision the Chris Gayle dismissal was.Spoilt a wonderful game of CwC ODI cricket.

The actual lbw was out and anybody who thinks it was unlucky is full of it, it looked dead live.

You might mean the missed no ball before it though which was very poor .

was still a dodgy innings from Gayle but people act like he was on fire, Starc got him to glove one which the keeper just missed he basically got clean bowled but the bail didn't come off and then he was nailed by Starc lbw.

gtrxuone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 20, 2014
W.A.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Black Ducks
The actual lbw was out and anybody who thinks it was unlucky is full of it, it looked dead live.

was still a dodgy innings from Gayle but people act like he was on fire, Starc got him to glove one which the keeper just missed he basically got clean bowled but the bail didn't come off and then he was nailed by Starc lbw.
Yep the missed no ball not the lbw.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
I think people would be surprised just how many no balls are uncalled now, they only told us about the Starc one because it was before a vital wicket but how many missed no balls which didn't get followed by a wicket have they missed so far?

Some umpires clearly don't watch at all anymore which is why when they check after wickets some will be a foot over some will be a foot behind the umps just don't watch it live.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

The bowled thing was lucky but no luckier than any batsman who has a ball go a mm past the outside edge which happens basically every innings. The lbw was acceptable though I was still a little surprised he gave it after such a massive misjudgement of the swing and leg stump the over before it.

The thing with the guy is, even when he’s scratchy he’s still doing damage, ie. the over against Cummins. He blasts 60 off 45 and it’s probably a long way back for Australia.

It was hitting the stumps! How was that a howler? Would have sent leg stump cartwheeling

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
The bowled thing was lucky but no luckier than any batsman who has a ball go a mm past the outside edge which happens basically every innings. The lbw was acceptable though I was still a little surprised he gave it after such a massive misjudgement of the swing and leg stump the over before it.

The thing with the guy is, even when he’s scratchy he’s still doing damage, ie. the over against Cummins. He blasts 60 off 45 and it’s probably a long way back for Australia.

Yeah, given how wrong he was with the LBW the over before, to have another one swinging down that way, I was surprised it was given too. I can't stand Gayle, but he can go from scratchy to incredible pretty quickly.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I think people would be surprised just how many no balls are uncalled now, they only told us about the Starc one because it was before a vital wicket but how many missed no balls which didn't get followed by a wicket have they missed so far?

Some umpires clearly don't watch at all anymore which is why when they check after wickets some will be a foot over some will be a foot behind the umps just don't watch it live.

Umpiring would be a great job these days. Don't have to check for no-balls, get the 3rd umpire to decide on run outs, refer catches upstairs, get the 3rd umpire to check for boundaries, make a call on snicks and LBWs which may or may not be overturned from reviews, etc. All you really have to do is count to 6 and hold the bowler's hat and jumper.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
The umpires were rubbish yesterday and deserved criticism but live I thought Gayle's LBW looked pretty good to hit leg. On replay not as out as it looked first up but still shown to be hitting the stumps, imo absolutely nothing wrong with that decision at all in isolation.

Didn't stop Holding whinging about it though.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
It was pretty poor batting at times from both sides, I mean windies bowled very well early but four of the first five still basically gifted them their wickets.

Games like though just make Smith look even better just calm and clear headed while the other batsman panic over a few well directed short balls.

Yes. 1,2,3 are all fine players but look shaky early against genuine pace. From the number of 145+ bowlers around ATM, does this mean we're getting off to poor starts in most of our matches?

Back