World Cup Day 8 Australia v West Indies @ Trent Bridge

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
Biggest thing to take away is how good drs is. People can whinge about umpires call all they want but once in a while the umps totally lose it and make awful calls and drs solves it in seconds.

P.s. I always say I have a lot of older pre drs videos and anybody who thinks stuff like last night never happened in those days is kidding themselves it happened it ruined series and became the main talking point.

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
On the positive side, this might get the ICC to finally get the third umpire to be responsible for calling no balls. Put a signal on the sight screen so the batsman can respond as if the o field umpire had called it, and stop waiting for a wicket to do anything.

Spursfan

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
DRS did its job in saving some wrong decisions being upheld last night,but they should be checking no balls every ball outside DRS IMO. It's just not good enough at the moment to have what happened to Gayle happen to someone else.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Would be interesting to see the footage of this wc and no balls, I remember just one test match in england where they missed something like 9 no balls from stokes you would have to assume dozens of no balls and potential free hits have been missed in the first week of this comp.

The ridiculous thing is, and I've been saying this for years, the whole situation could be rectified. Umpires are wired for sound. All it needs is for the 3rd umpire to watch close up footage of the line as the bowler's foot comes down and call "no ball" to the officiating umpire who then calls "no ball". Surely it wouldn't be that hard.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
On the positive side, this might get the ICC to finally get the third umpire to be responsible for calling no balls. Put a signal on the sight screen so the batsman can respond as if the o field umpire had called it, and stop waiting for a wicket to do anything.

They dumped it due to camera costs but surely they can pony up the money once every four years?

Fair enough it might be cost prohibitive for every series but they are all raking in that Indian tv money from this comp and could spare a few bucks for the technology.

They dumped it due to camera costs but surely they can pony up the money once every four years?

Fair enough it might be cost prohibitive for every series but they are all raking in that Indian tv money from this comp and could spare a few bucks for the technology.

nah it's got to be redistributed to the bcci (and the ecb, and ca) :drunk:

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Wides didn’t help the Windies either. 13 extra runs to the Aussies. Not sure if the run differential on extra deliveries bowled but it certainly didn’t help their cause

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Yup. Most of the bad calls in this match happened in the same over - Gaffaney got frazzled.
All within the space of 7 balls at Gaffney's end.
2.5 Gaffney hears a woody noise and thinks it's an edge. Turns out it grazed the stump.
2.6 Gaffney gives LBW. Tbh I thought it was closer live. I saw it hitting the back pad and Gave it out, without realising it hit the front pad before that.
4.5 correctly gives Gayle out LBW.
After having decisions reversed twice it's not surprising that he would choose to focus more on the LBW/Edges rather than the no ball line.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Gayle is the luckiest sonoffabich I've seen to have a 150km thunderbolt hit a stump so hard it is audible 22m away and still not have a bail displaced? Hardly say he's hard done by. Also re the no ball... the flipside is the Windies bowling literally dozens of bumper wides not pinged. At least 20+ free runs and 20+ fewer balls we didnt get.

Last edited:
Gayle is the luckiest sonoffabich I've seen to have a 150km thunderbolt hit a stump so hard it is audible 22m away and still not have a bail displaced? Hardly say he's hard done by. Also re the no ball... the slipside is the Windies bowled a bunch of bumper wides bu got away with as many as they were pinged. Thats 20+ runs and 20+ fewer balls we didnt get.

Exactly were a number of joke non called wides

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Gayle is the luckiest sonoffabich I've seen to have a 150km thunderbolt hit a stump so hard it is audible 22m away and still not have a bail displaced? Hardly say he's hard done by. Also re the no ball... the flipside is the Windies bowling literally dozens of bumper wides not pinged. At least 20+ free runs and 20+ fewer balls we didnt get.

Considering he’s the third batsman at this tournament to have his stumps hit - and his was the least solid contact of the three - id say others have been luckier

The windies got pinged for heaps of wides mate and if anything I could find you a handful that were perfectly legitimate that were called

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

You're right, it doesn't have to be every series. Hotspot isn't used for every series. If the camera is there for the TV networks, or if it's the WC, they should use it. Better to have some games that use it than none.

Last edited:
Considering he’s the third batsman at this tournament to have his stumps hit - and his was the least solid contact of the three - id say others have been luckier

The windies got pinged for heaps of wides mate and if anything I could find you a handful that were perfectly legitimate that were called
I thought that they felt they going to roll us cheaply and got a bit loose with the discipline.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I thought that they felt they going to roll us cheaply and got a bit loose with the discipline.

Honestly there was a lot to criticise about the WI performance but I dont think overconfidence was one of them. Holder really did try and be more aggressive than normal (which is my biggest gripe with his leadership) and went back to Thomas and cottrell twice at the right times during the Carey-Smith stand and then the NCN-Smith stand. He was about taking wickets rather than containment, it didn’t work but I liked the approach. Holder and to a lesser extent Braithwaite aside, it’s not a group that relies on discipline with the ball.

The batting discipline wasn’t great though

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood

I fail to understand why it entail more camera costs. When there's a review, they always show if there's a no-ball, so there's a camera in place already.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
I fail to understand why it entail more camera costs. When there's a review, they always show if there's a no-ball, so there's a camera in place already.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...rged-to-keep-eye-on-ball-20181211-p50li0.html

This is the article that explains the ICC position which basically seems to be there aren't that many no balls so stuff paying out for somebody to watch for them, it does seem odd though aren't the side cameras there for most big series anyway? Why does an extra umpire need to do this job when the third umpire could do it?

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
So, how many more chances does Khawaja get? For some reason he struggles at no.3 in the ODI’s.

I think he should get one more chance if he scores under 30, as he looked rattled against the West Indies.

Marsh should be batting no.3 but he might not even play a game.

Ohitsthatguy

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They don't want to bring in camera for no balls because they're worried about the on-field umpire having too little to do and from there they think it's a slippery slope to automated umpires. Guarantee it.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
So, how many more chances does Khawaja get? For some reason he struggles at no.3 in the ODI’s.

I think he should get one more chance if he scores under 30, as he looked rattled against the West Indies.

Marsh should be batting no.3 but he might not even play a game.

Look I like Shaun Marsh, but I don't think he's likely to do better than Khawaja. He's a bloody nervous starter, that's for sure.

Back