World Cup Final New Zealand v England Sunday July 14 @ Lords

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The Stokes deflection was just bad luck, but that can happen. That it was wrongly counted as 6 instead of 5 is a mistake, but that can also happen. The main problem is that the match was decided by such a random metric. Most fours hit? Why not 1s, 2s, 6s, dot balls. Why not most wickets—that would have some actual meaning.

Here's a few better alternatives:
Play another super-over.
Have a re-match on another day.
Award the trophy to the team that won the most games over the duration of the tournament, i.e., finished higher on the table.

As it stands, the game was a tie with ENG being the only side entirely bowled out. Yet ENG won the world cup. That's pretty farcical.

ENGLAND, 2019 WINNERS OF THE MOST FOURS HIT IN A WORLD CUP FINAL.

Last edited:
Actually the rules weren't bent. The ECB brought their qualification period into line with the ICC's existing regulations.
Don’t let facts get in the way of a good old whinge. One thing the Aussies are still world champions at.

Say what you want about Morgan and Archer, Morgan has two English parents and Archer one. Just one of the benefits of once having a World Empire I guess.

Aussies need to quit whinging and get their sport back on track.

While I don't like the concept of players leaving their home countries to play elsewhere, at the heart of it is financial security for themselves and their family. In general, these aren't on an obvious pathway to test cricket (Morgan quite possibly was) but teens seeing a multi year contract in front of them with a county incorporating opportunities at university or alternate employment interests.

The media will always sensationalise with their comments basking in the glow of winning the world cup, but in this day and age it's pretty churlish to begrudge that guys like Archer and Morgan being held up as positive role models.

Don’t let facts get in the way of a good old whinge. One thing the Aussies are still world champions at.

Say what you want about Morgan and Archer, Morgan has two English parents and Archer one. Just one of the benefits of once having a World Empire I guess.

Aussies need to quit whinging and get their sport back on track.

Thats all you have contributed since the game ended...

Welcome to the life of a StKilda supporter
Imagine being both...can we have a count back on 2010 decide it on the most goals? Seriously, what a debacle. You'll never see a team get more lucky. The Roy LBW sums it up, along with the "overthrows" of course. If they got the call right, Stokes is not on strike.

Imagine being both...can we have a count back on 2010 decide it on the most goals? Seriously, what a debacle. You'll never see a team get more lucky. The Roy LBW sums it up, along with the "overthrows" of course. If they got the call right, Stokes is not on strike.

We only got a single off the next ball, Rashid is no bunny, I’m sure he could have managed a single

The Stokes deflection was just bad luck, but that can happen. That it was wrongly counted as 6 instead of 5 is a mistake, but that can also happen. The main problem is that the match was decided by such a random metric. Most fours hit? Why not 1s, 2s, 6s, dot balls. Why not most wickets—that would have some actual meaning.

Here's a few better alternatives:
Play another super-over.
Have a re-match on another day.
Award the trophy to the team that won the most games over the duration of the tournament, i.e., finished higher on the table.
For mine the tie breaker should have been previous result, then position on table. Ultimately same winner, but by a method that actually means something.

I was never a fan of super over deciding the SF and/or F. Too much of a crapshoot. Should be 5 overs each way - reduced down as required in case of rain affected matches. Then go with the tie break from above.

Facing his first ball against Trent Boult with the field in. Doubtful. But we'll never know the true winner. We do know the best team on the day does not have the trophy.

lol, Boult was bowling pies and I doubt they bring the field in given a boundary wins England the game.

But if NZ were the best team they'd have the trophy, but they don't which just proves England are the best one day team in the world and NZ has another thing to bitch about for the next 4 years!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so glad it was these two.. right half prominent and those two are still working hard to right the wrongs of the lessons learnt..

stifling the laughter of it being a kiwi and a blues kind of right near miss..

Still contemplating this result a week on.

Even after everything that went against NZ in the Final, I'd feel much more comfortable with the result if England had been declared winners of the World Cup based on finishing higher on the table or defeating NZ earlier in the tournament - not a boundary count back. Both teams scored 241 + 15 and it should not matter how those runs were accumulated.

Not that it will probably ever happen again, but the ICC needs to change this.

lol, Boult was bowling pies and I doubt they bring the field in given a boundary wins England the game.

But if NZ were the best team they'd have the trophy, but they don't which just proves England are the best one day team in the world and NZ has another thing to bitch about for the next 4 years!

We would have defended the edges but Rashid would have been very unlikely to get a run. And if you try to tell me he's a good player, perhaps I'll defer to Ben Stokes who would rather turn down runs than have him on strike.

Not that it will probably ever happen again, but the ICC needs to change this.

You would think they will, there has been enough negativity over the result to force a change.

Happy if it's a washout that the higher place team gets the trophy but a winner of the actual final must be decided on the day, a ground that hosts the final should have good enough lights to keep playing super overs until there is a result.

You would think they will, there has been enough negativity over the result to force a change.

Happy if it's a washout that the higher place team gets the trophy but a winner of the actual final must be decided on the day, a ground that hosts the final should have good enough lights to keep playing super overs until there is a result.

If it was a washout, the trophy would be shared under current rules

Back