World Cup Final New Zealand v England Sunday July 14 @ Lords

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's correct. Guptill threw the ball in before they crossed. Should only have been 5 and Rashid should have been on strike. Taufel was one of the world's best umpire's, he'd sure know the rules. Watching the replay he clearly threw the ball before they crossed. Wasn't even close.

Correctamundo. Kiwis were robbed.

However, according to law 19.8 - Overthrow or wilful act of fielder - of One Day International Cricket rules on the ICC's website, there is a strong argument that the second run that Ben Stokes attempted to get off the delivery should not have counted.
This is the wording of the law: "If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side, and the allowance for the boundary, and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act."

Replays of the ball show that when Guptill threw the delivery in from the boundary, Stokes and his partner Abdul Rashid had not crossed over for the second run when running down the pitch, nor had he reached the crease at the striker's end when the ball deflected off his bat, meaning that according to the law, England should have been awarded five runs, not six.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/sport/394419/cricket-world-cup-final-contentious-overthrow-explained

Last edited:

The ball is definitely not dead on an overthrow. Even if it comes off the batsmen - as it did yesterday with Stokes.

There is a gentleman's agreement in cricket not to run on an overthrow when the ball hits the batsmen. However, once it reaches the boundary, the umpires hands are tied and they need to award the four overthrows.

The batsmen are within their rights to run if the ball deflects off the batsmen, however you would be supremely unpopular with the opposition, and if you did so in the dying stages of a world cup final, the wider cricketing public.

Be interesting though if it was the final ball and you needed the extra run...

I found it funny at the time and it isn't getting less funny. Cricket is such a bizarre sport. It's so arbitrary, the rule could have been which team made the most catches in the circle or which team bowled the least wides or whatever. Would have made as much sense.

I know it was legal under the rules but it almost seemed like they had no idea how to separate both the teams after the end of 50 overs and the super over tie, but they had to have a winner because it was the world cup final and so they decided it based on some completely random rule.

Imagine explaining this game to your grandkid.

"It was the greatest game of cricket that had ever happened"

"Tell me more about it grandpa.."

"New Zealand and England scored the same number of runs and New Zealand picked two wickets more after 50 overs"

"So New Zealand were the winners right?"

"No England became the world champions"

"What.. But how?"

"Because England scored more boundaries in their batting innings"

"I'll stick to Fortnite thanks"

AFL’s golden point for a tied final after extra time is not that different for potential to be a debacle. Where it has been used, the players were not aware extra time was over and were just told ‘right its over this team won’

AFL’s golden point for a tied final after extra time is not that different for potential to be a debacle. Where it has been used, the players were not aware extra time was over and were just told ‘right its over this team won’
Didn't realise that was a thing.

Is this still the same rules?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-06/new-extratime-rules-clarified-to-end-finals-ties

If scores are tied at the end of normal time, there will be two periods of additional time played of five minutes each way, plus time-on.
Teams will have a new rotation cap of 15 interchanges.
If scores remain tied at the end of additional time, the siren will NOT be sounded and play will continue until the next score has been confirmed.
The siren will then immediately sound to end the match.

Has potential for a hell of a lot of confusion.

I found it funny at the time and it isn't getting less funny. Cricket is such a bizarre sport. It's so arbitrary, the rule could have been which team made the most catches in the circle or which team bowled the least wides or whatever. Would have made as much sense.
Or which team bowled the most dot balls

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very interesting with Taufel confirming that the umpires should have awarded 5 runs instead of 6... obviously the one run could have made all the difference, but imagine if Erasmus and Dharmasena had made the right call and then (correctly) told Stokes that he had to go down to the non-strikers end.

England would have been up in arms, and its an interesting debate as to whether they would have preferred to take the 5 and have Rashid on strike, or just settle for the 2 (agreeing that the ball was dead after hitting Stokes) and allow Stokes to have the strike? And would they have even been allowed to do that (decline the overthrow boundary)?

So disappointing that the umpires let us down there at that crucial juncture. Not that I had any idea about that rule, but you'd expect them to seeing as Taufel is so across it. From a cricket nerd point of view I am happy to now know exactly how it works in terms of overthrows and the definition of a wilful act by the fielder distinguishing between the initial runs and the overthrown runs. Previously I'd often wondered how an umpire would rule on someone "deliberately" (in the AFL sense) tapping the ball over the boundary to turn an all-run 5 into a 4.

That's cricinfo, not the official records though.

ICC playing conditions say the team with the most boundaries "shall be the winner". England won the game.
Must admit I always worked off the assumption CricInfo followed the ICC.

Does the ICC keep a list of their official records online?

I can't find the playing conditions for the world cup. Does it say most boundaries "shall be the winner of the match" or "shall be the winner of the trophy/tournament/cup"?

Back