World Cup Final New Zealand v England Sunday July 14 @ Lords

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This really sucks, 2015 was heartbreaking and took a long time to get over but this is just as painful in a whole different way. We had it, our one chance, literally touching the trophy, to have it slip it away like that I don't know what to say! I don't believe we'll will ever get another chance like that again at least not in my lifetime, the odds of making another WC final, let alone actually winning the ******* thing are just far too slim. To know you'll never see your team win the big prize, well that is a bitter pill to swallow! I mean what is even the point now? Watch us lose every WC for the next 40 years till I die? I guess sometimes in life it's just not meant to be.
This is why we dont go to the Kiwis forums, they are far too dignified in defeat. Fair play, pretty gutted for your lads, they played a great tournament, really classy side. Sincerely hope you can get your hands on the trophy before too long.

This really sucks, 2015 was heartbreaking and took a long time to get over but this is just as painful in a whole different way. We had it, our one chance, literally touching the trophy, to have it slip it away like that I don't know what to say! I don't believe we'll will ever get another chance like that again at least not in my lifetime, the odds of making another WC final, let alone actually winning the ******* thing are just far too slim. To know you'll never see your team win the big prize, well that is a bitter pill to swallow! I mean what is even the point now? Watch us lose every WC for the next 40 years till I die? I guess sometimes in life it's just not meant to be.
Welcome to the life of a StKilda supporter

Where i have no sympathy for New Zealand is you can't expect to win with a 1st innings total of 241. They needed to bowl and field brilliantly, which they did for the most part but that's just not enough runs to play with. At the innings break, i felt they were 20 short. In the end, they were 1 run short, not once, but twice.

Well - you can't expect England to win either, if all they can make is 241. Maybe the Poms 'bowled and fielded brilliantly' as well.

I know I've commented a bit upon the luck the Poms had - but in the end, that's part of sport. Sometimes the ball bounces your way, or the umpire makes an interpretation that favours your side - and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a snick goes straight to 2nd slip, and sometimes it splits 1st and 2nd, and is uncatchable. My team(s) have won plenty of matches through getting the rub of the green at the end, and they've also lost plenty as well. It's why you come back next week.

In a close finish, all you can do is keep yourself in the game with a chance, and see how the ball bounces at the end.

Has there been any discussion on the decision to send out a guy who hasn't made a run all tournmanent for the super over?

Surely Williamson would of done better with the last ball than Guptill who played it like he was to scared to try and hit it to the boundary.

The World Cup Trophy handed to the wrong team due to an umpiring mistake.
Unbelievable.
I love how the English still want it though. And they call us convicts.

'Yet England’s director of cricket Ashley Giles said that he was not bothered by the issue and did not believe an extra run was crucial to the outcome.'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given you signed up to this forum originally just to troll us about sandpaper-gate you'll have to forgive me if I take an element of schadenfreude from this.

That’s always a 6, not a 5 at all. I dont know why people are arguing it as a 5; they don’t understand cricket at all. That is always a 6 when that happens. Always.

I can understand that arguments for another super over, but not for it to have been 5 runs from the deflection.
I thought so to but actually there is an explanation as to why it should have only been 5. The play starts at the time the fielder goes to throw. If the batsman have not crossed for the second run only the first counts. And this is the case apparently. Must admit another over would have been a simple solution.

That’s always a 6, not a 5 at all. I dont know why people are arguing it as a 5; they don’t understand cricket at all. That is always a 6 when that happens. Always.

I can understand that arguments for another super over, but not for it to have been 5 runs from the deflection.
So Simon Taufel is wrong and you are right?

Must admit I always worked off the assumption CricInfo followed the ICC.

Does the ICC keep a list of their official records online?

I can't find the playing conditions for the world cup. Does it say most boundaries "shall be the winner of the match" or "shall be the winner of the trophy/tournament/cup"?
Playing conditions here.

Relevant bit in this pic - particularly clause 14.

super over.JPG

The only thing that feels fair to me is to continue to "play cricket" until a winner is actually decided. Super over repeat until a winner is found seems the only "reasonable" outcome.

Seems reasonable and it would be a very easy change to make. But like many sporting contests the cricket world cup is designed for entertainment over fairness. There's a league system where all the teams play each other. Then it reverts to straight knock out for the finals. In a game where the toss can be crucial, or the weather, or an umpires call, a best of three in the semis and final would be fairer - but less dramatic.

Back