Socceroos World Cup Qualifier Intercontinental Play-Off Peru V Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even given how experienced and incredible our previous squads were- still didn’t make the World Cup.
Much rather make World Cups with lesser squads then miss altogether.

97 and 2001 really puts that into perspective. Talented and the whole XI represented in the best leagues of Europe. Wasted generation tbh

The reason we struggle to score goals in general play is that apart from Boyle and Rogic when there we have no one to take players on. At this elite level individual defensive ability and structured defence are only broken down by someone that does.

Boyle splitting defenders and making a cross..... Behich beating one on one and getting a strike on goal. Incidentally he should have pressed hard another two places and cut back on his left to then shoot. He didn't get a clear look where he was. The last line defender was on the edge of box and couldn't jockey any further. In other words he was open to be taken that way. Easy for me to say...was a WC playoff. lol

Tilio does it. That's why I would fast track him to that ultimate purpose.

A lot has been spoken about lacklustre play of some players with only work rate to offer eg Duke. I'm with Arnie. I think he is good and his high press fills a critical role in our strive for possession.

Pretty good twitter thread breaking down Redmayne's approach to penalties against Peru, including the work he did with Australia's penalty-takers in between taking his turn between the posts.

Pretty good twitter thread breaking down Redmayne's approach to penalties against Peru, including the work he did with Australia's penalty-takers in between taking his turn between the posts.

Spot on.
Wonder if FIFA will crack down on penalty intimidation soon. Really not much referree can do but push things along. Giving out cards is pointless, and even a red would cause significant uproar from the coaches and players of that team.
It’s becoming a psychological game within penalties itself.

Spot on.
Wonder if FIFA will crack down on penalty intimidation soon. Really not much referree can do but push things along. Giving out cards is pointless, and even a red would cause significant uproar from the coaches and players of that team.
Ok, I’m gonna bring Redmayne along to Hawthorn games.

At the start of each quarter, I’ll send him behind the goals to the end the opposition is kicking to with the following instructions.

1. Find and isolate the opposition ‘Target Man’ supporter. Chuck his water bottle higher up into the stand, forcing him to flee the scene.

2. When an Opposition player’s lining up a set shot, dance, wiggle and do your thing, screaming at them ‘Who do ya think you are, Will Langford?’

3. Enjoy the Hawks win when the Opposition kicks 1 26 32.

To be honest I can’t see this not working.

Even given how experienced and incredible our previous squads were- still didn’t make the World Cup.

97 and 2001 really puts that into perspective. Talented and the whole XI represented in the best leagues of Europe. Wasted generation tbh

Even 1993 was pretty decent. Lucked out having to play Argentina in the playoffs but still came ever so close.

Spot on.

I reckon a new tactic for penalties should be used. Sub on a keeper in the 120th minute. But don't take the other keeper off - take an out field player off.

Then for the shootout alternate every kick between both keepers.

Even 1993 was pretty decent. Lucked out having to play Argentina in the playoffs but still came ever so close.
Always thought Maradona was off his face that game in Aus . They has some fantastic players though , and we gave as good as we got . No disgrace going out to that team .

Always thought Maradona was off his face that game in Aus . They has some fantastic players though , and we gave as good as we got . No disgrace going out to that team .

I went to the Sydney game as a little kid. Great game.

Maradona after the second leg apparently offered lines to the socceroos and loads of models to party with.

I went to the Sydney game as a little kid. Great game.

Maradona after the second leg apparently offered lines to the socceroos and loads of models to party with.
Watched it on TV. The sound when we scored was insane . The Iran game , we should have scored 6 before half time , ah well its all history now . To make this world cup with our squad is pretty outrageous , but after the antics the Uruguayans got up to when we knocked them out , i think we expect fun and games when we play a South American team now , and are ready for anything . Am still having a chuckle watching Redmayne's antics , i bet they weren't expecting that from us . I wasn't .

Watched it on TV. The sound when we scored was insane . The Iran game , we should have scored 6 before half time , ah well its all history now . To make this world cup with our squad is pretty outrageous , but after the antics the Uruguayans got up to when we knocked them out , i think we expect fun and games when we play a South American team now , and are ready for anything . Am still having a chuckle watching Redmayne's antics , i bet they weren't expecting that from us . I wasn't .
If you ever watched or was at the Perth Sydney Grand Final, you would know him coming on he would do the exact same. Chuckled to myself when he subbed on.

Uruguay were horrible towards us in 2001. Even in 2005 they changed the kick off time to later so we couldn't get a commercial flight back until the next day.

That backfired on them spectacularly as we simply chartered a Qantas jet for ourselves. And because they pushed the kickoff back the only tickets they could get were for economy class tickets lol. We arrived fresh in Sydney while they arrive tired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uruguay were horrible towards us in 2001. Even in 2005 they changed the kick off time to later so we couldn't get a commercial flight back until the next day.

That backfired on them spectacularly as we simply chartered a Qantas jet for ourselves. And because they pushed the kickoff back the only tickets they could get were for economy class tickets lol. We arrived fresh in Sydney while they arrive tired.
2005 , banging drums outside the hotel all nite over there , team being spat on when getting off the bus over there , the shenanigans in the tunnel before the Sydney game etc. I have never heard an Australian crowd boo during a visiting teams National anthem before , and i hope i never do , but that one time just seemed appropriate .

2005 , banging drums outside the hotel all nite over there , team being spat on when getting off the bus over there , the shenanigans in the tunnel before the Sydney game etc. I have never heard an Australian crowd boo during a visiting teams National anthem before , and i hope i never do , but that one time just seemed appropriate .

Yeah they were a bunch of campaigners that team. Honestly the atmosphere at 2005 vs Uruguay was the best I've experienced at any sporting event I have been to and that includes Liverpool games I've attended. The fans were out for blood with Recoba's public displays of arrogance and as you said the way we were treated over in Uruguay.

What an awesome summary of the shoot out. I was curled up in the foetal position about to throw up when watching it whilst Redmayne was auditioning for the Wiggles. Reading about how everything was planned out by the coaches has been enlightening. There was method to the madness. Massive, just massive stakes here so any tactic however ’unsporting’ is fine by me. In soccer it’s kind of accepted, getting one over your opponent by taking things to the limit. I bet every football country in the world would have silently nodded their heads at our shoot out tactics whilst bullshitting about it not being sporting etc. As someone who has lived through every WC campaign since 1977 I’ve experienced enough crap and disappointments from opponents, ref’s, officials, governments, media etc in big games. Yesterday was a bit of a square up.

Absolutely as much as most of us don't like the man coaching, it's always better to make it than not.

That's cause we bought them all up apparently.

Uruguay got everything they deserved in that 2005 game.

I reckon a new tactic for penalties should be used. Sub on a keeper in the 120th minute. But don't take the other keeper off - take an out field player off.

Then for the shootout alternate every kick between both keepers.

Both might be required to take kicks.

England’s euro final substitutions before penalty shoot out (outfield players) were a disaster

Moving from Oceania to Asia has worked wonders for Australia. We’ve made every single World Cup since 2006 although going the long way to make both Russia and Qatar having qualified for South Africa 2010 and Brazil 2014 automatically.

Last edited:
Both might be required to take kicks.

England’s euro final substitutions before penalty shoot out (outfield players) were a disaster

Only if you get up to kicker no 10 and 11.

In any case taking a penalty should be a doddle for any professional footballer. All the challenge is mental. Stick the ball in the corner and up high with power = goal 97/100 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back