Socceroos World Cup Qualifiers Third Round - Australia V China/Vietnam

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith is clogging up the left side of our attack . Some rather comical attempts to dribble through a packed defence and that yet 1-0 up . Some of the passing is over ambitious as well . Leave here with 3 points should be the only ambition .

Mabil isn't helping him much on that side to be fair.

Not sure who is on the bench tonight, But I would sub someone in for Taggart
Vietnam are defending the middle well which is pushing us wide to swing balls into the forwards. Taggart, McGree and Mabil aren't exactly towering headers though. Need a taller presence in there

Not sure who is on the bench tonight, But I would sub someone in for Taggart
Vietnam are defending the middle well which is pushing us wide to swing balls into the forwards. Taggart, McGree and Mabil aren't exactly towering headers though. Need a taller presence in there

Duke bring him on

I know these minnow Asian teams always sit back against us, but there is no reason why we should always be this boring to watch.

There's no urgency, no-one prepared to take on the Vietnam full backs and get a cross in. Could easily concede here and walk away with a draw.

Uninspiring win, but 3 points all the same

Always going to be boring when minnows sit 9 players behind the ball, played in horric heat and on a goat track

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know these minnow Asian teams always sit back against us, but there is no reason why we should always be this boring to watch.
The reason is philosophy. Unfortunately Australians are not coached or developed to play with flair and attack. We're a very bland, safe, do the team thing, don't be a hog, don't risk looking like a fool footballing nation.

We're reluctant/unable to switch the ball across the pitch to open the game up in the free space.

Countless times we're working down the left trough traffic and you see 5 defenders in a line all squashed towards the left side.

The long switch just opens up the play or forces them to spread creating more space.

1-0 to the away teams in group b overnight.

Oman 0 Saudi Arabia 1
China 0 Japan 1 (in Doha)
Vietnam 0 Australia 1

Upon reflection, whilst it was a tough watch, WC qualifying campaigns are littered with these results and banking 6 points to start means we're under way and no dropped points!

Japan only bagged one against China, after we could have had 6 or more against the same team at the same venue - so things could be much worse.

Next matches are Oman (hopefully in Covidney) and Saudi Arabia away. 2 wins there would be huge. Even 4 points would have us on the right path.

1-0 to the away teams in group b overnight.

Oman 0 Saudi Arabia 1
China 0 Japan 1 (in Doha)
Vietnam 0 Australia 1

Upon reflection, whilst it was a tough watch, WC qualifying campaigns are littered with these results and banking 6 points to start means we're under way and no dropped points!

Japan only bagged one against China, after we could have had 6 or more against the same team at the same venue - so things could be much worse.

Next matches are Oman (hopefully in Covidney) and Saudi Arabia away. 2 wins there would be huge. Even 4 points would have us on the right path.
We play Oman 7/10 than Japan 12/10
Very much doubt our next match will be in Australia in fact I'm 100% certain it wont be. Simple thing to do at this point is reverse the fixture with Oman than straight onto Japan. Who the * knows really both fixtures may be played at neutral venues nobody knows what will happen tomorrow let alone next month.

Very much doubt our next match will be in Australia in fact I'm 100% certain it wont be. Simple thing to do at this point is reverse the fixture with Oman than straight onto Japan. Who the fu** knows really both fixtures may be played at neutral venues nobody knows what will happen tomorrow let alone next month.
The Daily Tele are reporting the match is more likely to go ahead in Sydney than not go ahead.

Very much doubt our next match will be in Australia in fact I'm 100% certain it wont be. Simple thing to do at this point is reverse the fixture with Oman than straight onto Japan. Who the fu** knows really both fixtures may be played at neutral venues nobody knows what will happen tomorrow let alone next month.

Probably both games played in a hub. Not so good vs Oman but good for the Japan game. Middle East seems to be the go to place for the moment with hubs.

The only other option is reverse the Oman fixture and Japan game held in Japan with no crowd.

Japan actually has very favourable COVID conditions atm (10k cases per day in a country with 126,000,000 population & approaching 40% of the population fully vaccinated), a hub there would be a good idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back