Socceroos World Cup Qualifiers Third Round - Australia V Oman/Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be massive if we can sneak a draw (or even win) against Japan but gut feeling is we'll get a bit of a reality check against a good team with their backs against the wall at their own home ground.

If we can finish the year with a few games in Australia we'll be well placed to qualify regardless of the result on Tuesday night. If we play the majority of games in the middle east with only one or two in Sydney we might fall away.

Throw enough money at it (I know... the FFA throwing money at something... :rolleyes:) and OPTUS could be a good venue. Doubt it'd happen. I'd love to have our home game against Saudi Arabia actually be a home game. Middle east against them is a lot harder.

It would be massive if we can sneak a draw (or even win) against Japan but gut feeling is we'll get a bit of a reality check against a good team with their backs against the wall at their own home ground.

If we can finish the year with a few games in Australia we'll be well placed to qualify regardless of the result on Tuesday night. If we play the majority of games in the middle east with only one or two in Sydney we might fall away.
Are Japan that good? Have already lost to Oman (at home) and Saudi Arabia.

In fairness, we are probably due for a loss and Japan in Japan I feel that's the most likely scenario given they are desperate for points.

Escaping with a point would be a fantastic result for us.

Great test to see where we are at though, given this opponent is a step up in class from recent wins.

In fairness, we are probably due for a loss and Japan in Japan I feel that's the most likely scenario given they are desperate for points.

Escaping with a point would be a fantastic result for us.

Great test to see where we are at though, given this opponent is a step up in class from recent wins.
A point would be great. Japan lose and they’re almost out of the World Cup entirely.
This and Saudi Arabia will tell whether we automatically qualify or fight for second

Yep. But you just know AFC will try and force this in Doha, in the sweltering November heat.

How does it work with deciding if games are played in a hub? Japan went for a home game this round as they are ok with our squad staying within a bubble and playing the fixture.

I would hope if the NSW govt gives the ok for this to happen then the Saudi game goes ahead here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does it work with deciding if games are played in a hub? Japan went for a home game this round as they are ok with our squad staying within a bubble and playing the fixture.

I would hope if the NSW govt gives the ok for this to happen then the Saudi game goes ahead here.
You would think NSW would be fine after hitting 80% vaccination by next month. Australia really need that support, forcing Saudis to fly across. The heat is just to brutal. Gives Saudis a leg up in an ‘away leg’.

You would think NSW would be fine after hitting 80% vaccination by next month. Australia really need that support, forcing Saudis to fly across. The heat is just to brutal. Gives Saudis a leg up in an ‘away leg’.

It makes sense absolutely to play the game here. I actually think Canberra is probably the best bet if restrictions are still on in mid Nov, Can limit who goes easily just to ACT residents (it's a bit s**t that everyone else would miss out but so be it).. The game will easily sell out Bruce Stadium. Teams can use all of the national sporting facilities for training bubbles. Canberra airpot also accepts international flights, would be easy for the Saudis to fly direct on a charter flight.

Bit of value here, could go either way considering the form lines. I'd expect Japan to slice us up though, we may get a consolation spot kick goal though.

245466193_10159969482387028_9090372232431589445_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back