Socceroos World Cup Qualifiers Third Round - Australia V Oman/Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

Same old story against the better teams though. Outside of penalties or set pieces we don't look close to scoring.
We could have scored a few tonight.

Japan has players playing regularly in club football or those at competitive European teams.
Australia had probably half starting XI not even playing. That’s the different in class.
Matt Ryan isn’t getting a game. Sainsbury is playing at a lower level in Israel. Behich has completely gone backwards.
So? We could have easily drawn the game if not won it.

A 2-1 away loss to Japan isn't the end of the world.

Still top of the table.

Australia will qualify for the world cup and get booted out after the group stage.

May beat a minnow European or African team and end on 3, maybe 4 points, and then pack the bags for the flight home.

You know this.

Yes IMO this recent era is the most talent devoid Socceroos squad I can remember.

We’ve been on a slow steady decline since the 2006 World Cup.

We just aren’t creating quality players any more.

I’m not a huge fan of Arnold but I also just don’t see the point in bashing him - the talent just isn’t there.

Still top of the table.

Australia will qualify for the world cup and get booted out after the group stage.

May beat a minnow European or African team and end on 3, maybe 4 points, and then pack the bags for the flight home.

You know this.
Our last WC win was vs Serbia in 2010. Anyone would take a win of some sort, even if it's against someone like Canada.

Still top of the table.

You know this.
If we could unearth a defence we'd be bloody good.

It's 4 players ffs how hard can it be?

So? We could have easily drawn the game if not won it.
So if you don't have players playing in the best high performing environments and you're playing against players who are, you're generally not going to win.

We only got close because they let us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least still 3 points clear of Japan. Saudis will thrash China tonight. So it’ll be 3 points between them. Really need to play games here in Australia. Get some crowd as familiarity behind the squad.

It's funny reading this thread and then reading this from Richard Hinds:

He is a big Ange stan though.

I think we look very dangerous with the ball and can set up opportunities, the concern is we can't allow a team to attack us.
Are you watching the same team I am? We are one of the least creative/dangerous sides going forward in the group. Our strikers are nobodies for club or country.

Spot on. We've got no natural insinctive forwards. It also seems like we coach attacking intent out of our players.
I though Arzani was going to be great and look what happened to him..
We are missing probably our two best attacking players in MacLaren and Leckie tbf.

That's Behichs worst Socceroos game but he does have a few credits in the bank. He spent a fair few of them tonight though.

I'm a Sainsbury fan from way back but I've got to say his defending for the second goal had me a little bewildered. Maybe it was the angle we saw it on but I thought he could have got to the ball in the air fairly comfortably?

Are you watching the same team I am? We are one of the least creative/dangerous sides going forward in the group. Our strikers are nobodies for club or country.
In our group? We have the most goals. Comfortably too.

Makes the Saudi Arabia home game pretty crucial. A win there is a must after tonight or we're tight back in a tussle for 3rd and the inevitable South American playoff
Wouldn't be the worst outcome. Those playoffs used to be excellent entertainment back in the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back