Socceroos World Cup Qualifiers Third Round - Australia V Saudi Arabia/China

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not a fan of Arnold, but:

- Would a top class manager really do better with this squad?

- Who is out there that we could get that is better?

Again, I understand people don’t rate Arnold but I also plainly just don’t rate our squad.

You‘ve gotta have at least something to work with.

Arnold playing favourites with Grant, who can’t defend nor cross, Sainsbury who’s playing for a farm league ahead of Degenek, who only played due to Souttar out.
Irvine has been woeful last three games.
Arnold doesn’t deserve a World Cup squad, if we get through.
Belgium's a farm league but Serbia isn't?

Garbage 2nd half,Arnold was happy with 1-0,didnt change the game with his substitutions they were all like for like and no formation or tactics change.
Arnold is clueless.

I think at some point we have to realise we just don't have the cattle. Under Ange at this same stage we had 10 points from 6 games coming off draws with Thailand and Iraq. And that team had Cahill still pulling goals out of his arse. Once he quit we were then no better under Van Marwijk.

I think at some point we have to realise we just don't have the cattle. Under Ange at this same stage we had 10 points from 6 games coming off draws with Thailand and Iraq. And that team had Cahill still pulling goals out of his arse. Once he quit we were then no better under Van Marwijk.
We have more depth than we have had in years. Yet we keep picking the same old same old that don’t get the job done.

Disagree. Definitely believe there’s enough talent there to at least play fast attacking football. Mabil and Boyle provide excitement, Boyle in particular always looking to face goal and take on the game.
Centre midfield is actually pretty solid. Irvine box to box, with Jeggo classy as hold up play and Hrustic a creative passer.
However, the problem is the tactics and attacking is bland and old. Not one shot on target in the second half. 30+ crosses with hardly more then two or three even getting close to threatening. Instructing players to attack the box waiting for a cross. It’s clear Arnold is out of his league. No link up play with the forwards and midfield.
Honestly believe a solid oversseas experienced coach can produce a better standard and results then this

There was no way I was going to stay up to watch that and glad I didn't.

3 games ago qualification looked like a romp, now in the shite big time.

Arnold is a poor choice for coach but I do agree it is mostly cattle. Ryan is a star, Boyle is a good player and Hrustic has looked pretty handy but that is about where it ends really from the available players. Not a single player would make the 06 team starting XI for example.

Team is cooked, Arnold is cooked! If we qualifier we will get pants in Qatar!

Development is our biggest problem has been for a very long time, Where is our next Viduka or Kewell? We should have had a pipe line full of em by now, I understand every generation is different but the lack of anyone coming through is concerning. I mean I look at a lot of these youth players from the A-League and I can't see anyone of them standing out that would be a potential solid Socceroo.

Something is terribly wrong.

There was no way I was going to stay up to watch that and glad I didn't.

3 games ago qualification looked like a romp, now in the sh*te big time.

Arnold is a poor choice for coach but I do agree it is mostly cattle. Ryan is a star, Boyle is a good player and Hrustic has looked pretty handy but that is about where it ends really from the available players. Not a single player would make the 06 team starting XI for example.
The problem is every Australian fan wants Australia to be 2006. It may never reach those heights, nor have 11 players on the pitch at one time in the top 5 leagues in the league, either starting or first squad.
Is it the administration/development fault? Value politics ahead of Grassroots? Who knows. But honestly ever since 2006, Football Australia has missed a golden opportunity to promote the sport as well as have thousands of potential youngsters lining up to compete in Europe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team is cooked, Arnold is cooked! If we qualifier we will get pants in Qatar!

Development is our biggest problem has been for a very long time, Where is our next Viduka or Kewell? We should have had a pipe line full of em by now, I understand every generation is different but the lack of anyone coming through is concerning. I mean I look at a lot of these youth players from the A-League and I can't see anyone of them standing out that would be a potential solid Socceroo.

Something is terribly wrong.
Starts with the early development pathways tbh

How many potential Socceroos are we losing because fees to be 'in the system' are $1500+ per child?!

Soccer is a cheap sport. Look how many stars have come from the favelas yet our expensive facilities/coaches/clubs/fees never produce anything? We aren't keeping the best, only the ones who can afford...

Starts with the early development pathways tbh

How many potential Socceroos are we losing because fees to be 'in the system' are $1500+ per child?!

Soccer is a cheap sport. Look how many stars have come from the favelas yet our expensive facilities/coaches/clubs/fees never produce anything? We aren't keeping the best, only the ones who can afford...

Yes - the highlighted part is all true. What I'd add is that those very same societies still identify and integrate their greatest 'street' talents by a young age; Messi was in the club system by the time he was 10.

The affordability of soccer - and the lost coaching nexus that previously occurred in the old NSL clubs - is a massive structural issue. No government or corporate sponsor in Australia wants to subsidise a national youth program - there's no equivalent to Cricket Blast or Auskick and I don't think that can be discounted as being crucial in driving talent elsewhere. We won't develop kids in greater numbers while the base of the pyramid is privatised and unregulated.

I've no idea how people can look at the current national team - populated by people who have in some instances never been to Australia, let alone been part of our junior club/national program - and think that there's a great depth of talent available. We're literally phoning people up to play for the Socceroos! Nor do I understand how people can expect great flowing play all the time from players who are largely unfit due to little club football and stringent travel demands.

Graham Arnold might not be the answer, but neither is he the biggest problem.

The problem is every Australian fan wants Australia to be 2006. It may never reach those heights, nor have 11 players on the pitch at one time in the top 5 leagues in the league, either starting or first squad.
Is it the administration/development fault? Value politics ahead of Grassroots? Who knows. But honestly ever since 2006, Football Australia has missed a golden opportunity to promote the sport as well as have thousands of potential youngsters lining up to compete in Europe

I think it's deeper than that - federal and state governments don't trust the sport to use money well. That's probably unfair to the current admin, but it's a historical legacy that's really hard to overcome. And they have little interest in investing in a sport where private ownership means that there's little chance of return on investment.

I think it's deeper than that - federal and state governments don't trust the sport to use money well. That's probably unfair to the current admin, but it's a historical legacy that's really hard to overcome. And they have little interest in investing in a sport where private ownership means that there's little chance of return on investment.
That's a pretty fair assumption TBF

I'm pretty sports crazy and I only saw via sportsbet the aleague started this friday! None of mates knew when I asked them when it started. It's such incompetence managing the sport here and has been for years/decades

That's a pretty fair assumption TBF

I'm pretty sports crazy and I only saw via sportsbet the aleague started this friday! None of mates knew when I asked them when it started. It's such incompetence managing the sport here and has been for years/decades

Yes. Marketing budgets have been shot for years and it won't be the hero content that gets Paramount+ moving on subscriptions.

Although what I was getting at is that they don't trust the endemic corruption within the game. Which - with modern day Aussie governments - is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black, but it still applies.

Embarrassing. Absolutely embarrassing. 2 from 9 last three games.
Better hope Oman holds Japan. Not going to qualify second in the group.This is what you get for rehiring an absolute dinosaur of the game. Couldn’t do it with such a talented squad in 2007. fu** off Arnold
Shitting the bed in Asia and Graham Arnold, name a more iconic duo.

Even after the release of the Crawford report.
International sports don’t get any recognition or budget such of AFL And NRL. That’s no surprise. Plus financial backing of football is low compared to AFL’s TV rights for example. It’s a losing cause.
Unless there’s a significant investment stream from say Andrew Forrest or Gina Rinheart- who already both have investments in Swimming and Rugby, just can’t see the marketing being increased.
There’s limited state acadmies for example. WA only just got approval for a state development centre last year. There’s talent out there but due to bureaucratic reasons, its not advantageous for young kids at times

The penalty was harsh, but they do generally give them don’t they?

Wasn‘t our penalty against Denmark at the World Cup virtually the same?

Disappointing result but I’m just fairly resigned to the fact that we’re just not very good.

I’m expecting we’ll need to qualify through the playoffs again.
Is the playoffs for all third placed countries? Or best of them? If Australia do get through to that stage, is it a two legged play off against CONCACAF?

Is the playoffs for all third placed countries? Or best of them? If Australia do get through to that stage, is it a two legged play off against CONCACAF?
It hasn't been decided yet and I think it's random selection. It'll be one of 4th place CONCACAF (currently Panama), OFC (New Zealand unless there's a huge upset) or 5th place CONMEBOL (currently Peru).

It's a two-stage process. Firstly we would play a two-legged tie against the third placed team in AFC - Group A (UAE, Iraq or Lebanon) then the winner progresses to the continental play-off (featuring a play-off winner from each of AFC, CONMEBOL, CONCACAF and Oceania).

The great uncertainty is that FIFA haven't stated which confederation will play which in the single-leg final play-offs. We know they'll take place in June, but they won't decide the draw until after Oceania completes its qualification campaign in March. Realistically I think they'll do a system based on international rankings - South America v Oceania and AFC v CONCACAF being the most likely split (i.e. the same format as 2018 World Cup Qualification).

If all positions held true to form and FIFA decided on that division, then it would be: Australia v UAE (two legs) followed by Australia v Panama (final held on neutral soil).

Would an international manager cost $$$$$$& more than arnie or a local?
I mean you usually get what you pay for. We went cheap, and went from a strong qualifying position to relying on other results. Its now becomes "watching Japan matches and hope they drop points" rather than "watch Japan matches for shits and giggles."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back