World Cup Semi Final 1 Tuesday 9 July; India v New Zealand @ Old Trafford.

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

And what's with the bulls**t stat showing that if he is not out at the end, they almost always win, and saying that makes him the "finisher"?

It conveniently ignores run chases that are out of reach, or times when Dhoni's efforts aren't enough but he loses his wicket as things become more desperate.

It's a useless misleading stat.

A classic example of being able to come up with or manipulate a stat just to suit whatever you want to say!

Virat Kohli's 2019 World Cup semi final was almost identical to his 2015 World Cup semi. He's let his team down 2 World Cups in a row by being too adventurous too early.

He got into trouble playing across the line early versus England in the test matches last year.

He is too arrogant to adapt to the conditions.

What a suprise, what a game! Definitely one of the best Odis I’ve seen in a while. At the start of day 2 I thought this we be a walk in the park for India, this is what makes world cups great.

Spot on, even when Dhoni got out whoever the fool was commentating said "He knew he could win it " WTF - it was a joke. Dhoni had to push and was leaving balls with 3 overs to go.
Literally Dhoni left a ball and the commentary said "This shows how experienced he is, he's not getting flustered" or something to that effect.

Representing the winning team should not be a prerequisite for being awarded the Man of the Match.

Jadeja made 77(59) in a bowler's game, took 1-34 (opening batsman), took two catches and pulled off a brilliant run-out.

Dhoni leaving deliveries so late was unforgivable. Game was basically gone anyway when he was run out by Guptill.

Representing the winning team should not be a prerequisite for being awarded the Man of the Match.

Jadeja made 77(59) in a bowler's game, took 1-34 (opening batsman), took two catches and pulled off a brilliant run-out.

Dhoni leaving deliveries so late was unforgivable. Game was basically gone anyway when he was run out by Guptill.

Dhoni loves to be the hero, does it a lot. Leaves a lot of deliveries to make it tight, if he goes out no-one else will be the hero.

Skiing must be weighted heavily.
Yep.

Win a World Cup in a team event and the country gets 10 points eg cricket, rugby, soccer world cup, down to 1 point for finishing 8th.

Individual wins an event at the Olympics and the country 10 pts . Individual wins an event at World Cup of Skiing and the country gets 10 pts. Lots of skiing and winter sports Norway do well in world cups and world championships held every year and not every 4 years like team world cups.

They have a weight for team sports but its not enough - between 4 and 8. How they calculate scores

Norway's tabled scores in link below. Of their top 10 sports that gained points, 4 involve skiing, 3 from other winter olympic sports, and then handball, archery and Bandy (a form of ice hockey)

Last edited:
Yes Dhoni is a great player. But the constant ball licking by the commentators was insufferable.

And he really needed to start swinging 3-4 overs earlier. Left too much to do too late.

Literally Dhoni left a ball and the commentary said "This shows how experienced he is, he's not getting flustered" or something to that effect.
Yes, that was Ganguly.

I suspect it was in the same over where he lashed Williamson for poor captaincy for conceding a single to Jadeja. This was when India needed about 78 off eight overs, and when Jadeja was smoking them and Dhoni was either leaving them or poking the ball for unconvincing singles. In the end India scored only five off that particular over.

How is that poor captaincy Sourav, you biased tool? Five off an over at that stage wasn’t going to help India and nor was Jadeja not being on strike.

Yes, that was Ganguly.

I suspect it was in the same over where he lashed Williamson for poor captaincy for conceding a single to Jadeja. This was when India needed about 78 off eight overs, and when Jadeja was smoking them and Dhoni was either leaving them or poking the ball for unconvincing singles. In the end India scored only five off that particular over.

How is that poor captaincy Sourav, you biased tool? Five off an over at that stage wasn’t going to help India and nor was Jadeja not being on strike.

I was utterly confused at that point, I thought he must've given a single to Dhoni to put Jadeja on-strike because there was nothing fearsome about Dhoni.

The ICC have decided to give us some highlights of Smuthy's commentary from the last 10 overs and the camera was on him in the commentary box. Thankfully Ganguly is on mute.

Dhoni is a funny one. I thought he tried to play to his reputation and in doing so became a caricature of himself. The way he was so deliberately taking singles and leaving or blocking as if to convince everyone that he was in control. But in doing so he totally lost match awareness. Just because he's won games in the past by poking and prodding before unleashing a flurry of boundaries in the final 2 overs doesn't mean the same thing would happen again. He played to a script that wasn't there. It's not the same in a World Cup semi final against top notch fielding and quality bowlers who wont just bowl in the slot for you.

It wasn't his fault that they lost, but in the end he could have won it for them if he seized the moment a bit earlier and took the heat of Jadeja.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was utterly confused at that point, I thought he must've given a single to Dhoni to put Jadeja on-strike because there was nothing fearsome about Dhoni.
100%. You’d almost have sworn from the commentary at that point that Dhoni was hitting them to all corners and that Jadeja was struggling, when the reality was the exact inverse.

100%. You’d almost have sworn from the commentary at that point that Dhoni was hitting them to all corners and that Jadeja was struggling, when the reality was the exact inverse.
I know it's harping on the point, but the absolute nadir of this in the commentary is when Jadeja hit a six and the commentary was "Good stuff from Jadeja, he doesn't want to leave all the pressure on Dhoni".

Personally speaking I just think the world's a much nicer place when India lose.

Against anyone at all.

But especially in really big games. :)

Very, very good effort from the Kiwis in a match that pretty much no-one gave them a hope with.

Back