World Cup Team of the Tournament

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hello all,

Thought it might be fun to start creating our teams of the tournament (so far). Feel it's most interesting at this stage anyway as the team revolves around fewer teams the further you go...

My first attempt at the team so far:

......................Gakpo.............
Mbappe...........Messi..........Rashford
...........Casameiro.....Kudus.......
Estupinan..Gvardiol...Souttar...Dumfries
....................Szczesny................

Will update as we go. How do you see it?

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Maguire should be one of the centre backs. Fernandes needs to be there, as does Bellingham.
Good shouts. I wanted to add my bench/unluckies but thought it might rob the thread of discussion.

Fernandes was in my original side and I replaced him with Messi (after the Australia game) as I thought maybe I was being biased (don't hate him, just completely over the hype around CR7/Messi now).

I also put Bellingham straight in after Round of 16 but then remembered he had 2 great games and 2 anonymous games. Wasn't sure if those who had 3-4 good games should be ahead?

Also felt weird not including any Japanese players.

Maguire was behind a few for me - lots of good CBs and I think sometimes his efforts are illuminated because they contrast so starkly with his club form.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Hello all,

Thought it might be fun to start creating our teams of the tournament (so far). Feel it's most interesting at this stage anyway as the team revolves around fewer teams the further you go...

My first attempt at the team so far:

......................Gakpo.............
Mbappe...........Messi..........Rashford
...........Casameiro.....Kudus.......
Estupinan..Gvardiol...Souttar...Dumfries
....................Szczesny................

Will update as we go. How do you see it?

Not bad, fleece Chelsea for a huge amount for Cucurella then go out and sign a better player as his replacement for a third of the price.

Back