Golf World Golf thread - Foreign and Domestic

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw Adam Scott put second shot to three feet from a fairway bunker on the 18th par five shouldn’t happen IMO.

That could happen on any course. They are professional golfers. It has nothing to do with which course they are playing.

My question is why should par exist at all?

The sooner we move away from the concept the better. Tournament golf will be the better for it when organisers don't feel the need to wreck courses to defend an arbitrary number.

IMO you want the professional game to at least be somewhat relatable to amateur golf. It's almost an impossible task now that they're hitting it so long, there's not enough courses that are really going to challenge these guys.

Someone mentioned here yesterday that Adam Scott made eagle after driving it into a bunker on a par 5. Obviously that still requires insane amounts of talent but I do think something is fundamentally wrong with the pro game that makes things like this not all that surprising.

Distance has removed so much of the strategy for these guys which overall devalues the product as a viewer imo.

All these comments have validity but unless they are going to change the clubs and golf balls they are going to keep getting longer and stronger and make most courses look stupid.

There are some really tough courses in the US, Beth Page, Whistling Straits, TPC Sawgrass and PGA National to name a few.

This week they are playing an “easier” course in perfect conditions and you basically have all the worlds top golfers in the field. It is the perfect storm. I sense if this field was playing the course in Spain the scoring would be significantly different.

Most tournaments in the us are bomb it then a wedge that to me is not exciting golf to watch. Hence when the course is harder, us open masters, and the players have to think about how they play each hole for me I enjoy that more.
I think rolling back the golf ball is the answer. My issue is these new championship courses that are being built to keep up with the length of the game generally lack interest compared to many classic layouts which have been rendered obsolete. Harder golf doesn't mean it necessarily requires more thought especially when length is the main defender of score. The presidents cup in 2019 at RM West was an example of a perfectly set up course for pro golf. Width off the tee, extremely firm greens, deep bunkers, reachable par 4's and 5's, rewarding the thinking golfer and penalising the careless one. Lucky it was matchplay so there was no worry about professionals shooting under par.

Wishful thinking I know but with a rolled back ball it would be great to see tournament golf go back to the highest calibre courses e.g Cypress Point, Seminole, NGLA and some newer places like Sand Hills or Pacific Dunes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As great as it'd be seeing Scotty win. I want Rickie to win, had a rough couple of seasons, competing this tournament on a sponsors exemption.
I hope he goes on to win.

He’s a top bloke. He’s done a lot of Jarrod’s Lyle’s family and his foundation.

Scott is as beige as old carpet. Won’t even come back to Aus to play.

As great as it'd be seeing Scotty win. I want Rickie to win, had a rough couple of seasons, competing this tournament on a sponsors exemption.
I hope he goes on to win.

Will be a tough one to win. So many are going to shoot very low. You would think he needs to shoot 66 to win and that may not be enough.

Scott is as beige as old carpet. Won’t even come back to Aus to play.
There's some things about Adam Scott I don't particularly like (eg anchoring the putter and how he used to want broomstick putters outlawed) but that's a genuine stretch.

Hate to think what you make of the "Pride of Ohio" Jason Day!

There's some things about Adam Scott I don't particularly like (eg anchoring the putter and how he used to want broomstick putters outlawed) but that's a genuine stretch.

Hate to think what you make of the "Pride of Ohio" Jason Day!

Agree.

I reckon Adam Scott is a bloody good ambassador for Aussie golf. The way he handled himself after blowing the lead down the stretch at the 2012 British Open was first class.

If we want to get upset about them not coming back to play we should be more upset at how Australian Golf has embraced the world tour. The Australian Open should be part of the European Tour circuit. At least give these guys a genuine reason to come home.

Not sure you'll find to many people agreeing with you on this one.

Had you said that about Jason Day then I'm sure you'd get a far more positive response haha.

To be fair, if we honestly think these blokes are going to come back home to play a tournament largely made up of club pro’s we are kidding ourselves.

To be fair, if we honestly think these blokes are going to come back home to play a tournament largely made up of club pro’s we are kidding ourselves.
I agree. I do think young up and coming players should be returning to Australia to play in our marquee events if they've benefited from programs that golf australia or their states governing bodies have provided. Obviously that shouldn't last forever.

At the end of the day Golf Australia only really have themselves to blame for the s**t state of the tour down here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back