Golf World Golf thread - Foreign and Domestic

Remove this Banner Ad

Well it won't be Danny Willet

Is like to see the Leish, is in some form... or Scott/Day

Speith great player but reminds me of a typical college yank, Dusty doesn't do it for me...

Ricky Fowler= Dude!

Go Ricky!

As an aside, I seem to be in the distinct absolute minority on the whole Lexi Thompson thing...so I wonder your guys thoughts on the following:

1) Taking out the call in/day later aspect of this....the bottom line is she placed her ball in a different spot. It is a clear violation of the rules.

--I get that it was a gimmie but it was a clear violation
--I am not a professional golfer but I cannot remember a time I ever marked a ball on the green and didn't realize where I was putting it when I placed it back down. Professional golfers are meticulous about EVERYTHING, in my humble opinion there is no way she didn't "notice" where she put the ball.
--How she marked the ball to start with was curious to me, I wonder if there is video out there of her doing the same thing on other putts.

2) What would the narrative be had it been the Korean who had been penalized and Lexi the beneficiary. I have a pretty good idea I would be in the majority opinion today and not the distinct minority.

Golf is a unique sport and at the end of the day Lexi committed a penalty. In a sport where Bobby Jones calls a penalty on himself because he "thought" the ball moved to lose a United States Open Championship---well I think she should take her medicine.

Is it harsh? Absolutely. Should they change the call in/armchair officiating aspect to prevent a viewer from calling/emailing in a penalty? Maybe they should.

Doesn't mean that she did not break a rule, and I am sorry, but I have a hard time believing she was so caught up in the moment she had no idea she was moving the ball. My suspicion is that isn't the first time she has marked the ball off center and placed it back down on center of her mark.

As an aside, I seem to be in the distinct absolute minority on the whole Lexi Thompson thing...so I wonder your guys thoughts on the following:

1) Taking out the call in/day later aspect of this....the bottom line is she placed her ball in a different spot. It is a clear violation of the rules.

--I am not a professional golfer but I cannot remember a time I ever marked a ball on the green and didn't realize where I was putting it when I placed it back down. Professional golfers are meticulous about EVERYTHING, in my humble opinion there is no way she didn't "notice" where she put the ball.
--How she marked the ball to start with was curious to me, I wonder if there is video out there of her doing the same thing on other putts.

2) What would the narrative be had it been the Korean who had been penalized and Lexi the beneficiary. I have a pretty good idea I would be in the majority opinion today and not the distinct minority.

Golf is a unique sport and at the end of the day Lexi committed a penalty. In a sport where Bobby Jones calls a penalty on himself because he "thought" the ball moved to lose a United States Open Championship---well I think she should take her medicine.

Is it harsh? Absolutely. Should they change the call in/armchair officiating aspect to prevent a viewer from calling/emailing in a penalty? Maybe they should.

Doesn't mean that she did not break a rule, and I am sorry, but I have a hard time believing she was so caught up in the moment she had no idea she was moving the ball. My suspicion is that isn't the first time she has marked the ball off center and placed it back down on center of her mark.
It looks like she might have marked it off centre. The video in this thread is inconclusive though. Why would she do that? Maybe the green was damaged where her ball came to rest.
As for the Korean winning. I have always had a thing for her. :hearteyes:

Edit: Sorry, I googled the video showing Lexi marking and replacing the ball.

It looks like she might have marked it off centre. The video in this thread is inconclusive though. Why would she do that? Maybe the green was damaged where her ball came to rest.
As for the Korean winning. I have always had a thing for her. :hearteyes:

Edit: Sorry, I googled the video showing Lexi marking and replacing the ball.

No worries mate...appreciate the input which is why I threw the questions/comments out there.

It just seems to me that it could be a regular thing she does--marking off center and if that is so, I would have to believe she does that little maneuver on other occasions and it wasn't necessarily a one-off event.

in another forum i vehemently supported her without watching the vision. i thought she marked, walked away, someone else putted and then it was her turn. but to see that she was it and a bit, well....not a good look. i mean you are right there!

in saying that i dont think there's any advantage being a coin width either side. has anyone analysed what was in her line from original spot compared to the new position?

id also like more attention paid to whether pros actually do place their ball back in the exact same position each time.

No worries mate...appreciate the input which is why I threw the questions/comments out there.

It just seems to me that it could be a regular thing she does--marking off center and if that is so, I would have to believe she does that little maneuver on other occasions and it wasn't necessarily a one-off event.
Yeah. I don't know why she does it or would have done it for. It is hard to see any advantage afforded to her for doing so.

Yeah. I don't know why she does it or would have done it for. It is hard to see any advantage afforded to her for doing so.

Wouldn't have been any advantage whatsoever on that putt. However, on longer putts it may provide assistance to potentially avoid a spike mark that happened to be right near her

in another forum i vehemently supported her without watching the vision. i thought she marked, walked away, someone else putted and then it was her turn. but to see that she was it and a bit, well....not a good look. i mean you are right there!

in saying that i dont think there's any advantage being a coin width either side. has anyone analysed what was in her line from original spot compared to the new position?

id also like more attention paid to whether pros actually do place their ball back in the exact same position each time.

That is why I am very interested to see other putts she has marked in the past. There was absolutely NO competitive edge from the distance she was at. I am not arguing that....but the way she goes about it seems to me to be nonchalant enough to be something she has done in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't have been any advantage whatsoever on that putt. However, on longer putts it may provide assistance to potentially avoid a spike mark that happened to be right near her
I would have thought that a spike mark might only potentially affect the last so many feet of a putt. Especially when the ball is slowing down. I had a steep down hill, 4 foot putt for par on 18 on Saturday that missed because of a spike mark. It caused it to miss to the left as the last 2 foot of the putt was straight. My fellow playing partners saw it * the putt. I did two but only as I looked up.

I would have thought that a spike mark might only potentially affect the last so many feet of a putt. Especially when the ball is slowing down. I had a steep down hill, 4 foot putt for par on 18 on Saturday that missed because of a spike mark. It caused it to miss to the left as the last 2 foot of the putt was straight. My fellow playing partners saw it **** the putt. I did two but only as I looked up.

Could very well be right, I was just trying to get inside her thinking.

In the end could just as easily be an innocent mistake as anything else.

Just struck me as odd how she went about that putt

Under the rules she made an error and was penalized accordingly - end of discussion on the penalty

The issue comes about the time frame and review system in place

Under the rules she made an error and was penalized accordingly - end of discussion on the penalty

Couldn't have said it better myself....

On a more cheerful note, time to pull out Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2012 and play The Masters!!:blush:

yes time frame. I mean when was the infringement noticed? live? or later that day/night? surely there's a grace period or whatever the word is?

yes time frame. I mean when was the infringement noticed? live? or later that day/night? surely there's a grace period or whatever the word is?

Was noticed the next day by a viewer apparently.
Investigated then acted upon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back