Golf World Golf thread - Foreign and Domestic

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like the LIV tournament is going to be played at Grange here in SA.

LIV want exclusive access to the course for 3 weeks. Not sure how the 3000 members are going to feel about that considering both the East and West courses will be off limits during that time.

State Government is going to dip into the Tourism budget to pay for the rights to hold the tournament.

Grange is the course where the Shark won his first ever tournament on the Australian PGA tour.

LIV want exclusive access to the course for 3 weeks. Not sure how the 3000 members are going to feel about that considering both the East and West courses will be off limits during that time.

State Government is going to dip into the Tourism budget to pay for the rights to hold the tournament.

Grange is the course where the Shark won his first ever tournament on the Australian PGA tour.
I am old enough to remember that win , yikes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its the conundrum of hosting major tournaments. Organisers need prior access for multiple reasons. We get it.
Invariably members, some or a portion, will be offended by limited or zero access. It is hard to please all members.

a) we shall see. When the PGA was founded there were doubts about it's existence as well.
b) more tournaments than before.
d) Jed is doing it for the $ no doubt. Sets himself up for life. We'd all take the money. Have you seen him play in person? Absolute striper of the ball. But not close to making cuts. He has probably realised it and thought ill just take the cash and run. A for lack of depth, yes that is true. Give it time. When the VFL started there was a lack of depth as well.
e) I do think LIV has to make a change to the qualification process. I can see why they decided not to have cuts. When you're a newbie on the scene you gotta attract players. Hence no cuts and a shitload of $. I acknowledge this and hope there can be some sort of feeder, like the KF tour.

a) We wont see because its literally impossible. LIV have spent more than the entire budget on PGA on like 4 players guaranteed contracts. There is ZERO chance this ever makes money - the only argument against my point is that it 'doesnt have to', which is true to a point.
b) Not for these players tho, we see Cam smith once every 6 weeks now, not once a fortnight.
d) Jed did that, good on him, but hes the perfect example of why LIV is a joke... the fact that you can hvae a heavily reduced field, yet still have players of his quality.
e) No cuts is fine, but its going to be interesting to see when/where/how players can pull out of tournaments. Guarantee that a bunch of the best LIV guys will NOT travel to Australia to play the tournament here. I'm interested to see how players react when they try to 'fine them' for not following the very strict rules they signed onto.
I cant see LIV peeps being interested in a 'feeder' tour at all. The tour theyve got is running at a billion dollar loss.

Last edited:
When was the last time we saw a field, including some or even a handful top Americans, out here on a tour event? One for prizemoney. The tour has killed the Aus tour.

Why would we see a bunch of the worlds top golfers play in Australia? What makes you think even if they put an event on that theyd bother to come?

When was the last time an NBA game was played here, an NFL game, a premier league game?

Fact is our local sports leagues for world sports are garbage because the best players go to compete somewhere with better competition. The Aus tour is remembered fondly for the days before there was anything other than live TV. It would rate below re-runs of days of our lives these days, even if they brought out top US players.

Its the conundrum of hosting major tournaments. Organisers need prior access for multiple reasons. We get it.
Invariably members, some or a portion, will be offended by limited or zero access. It is hard to please all members.

I'm sure they'll be reimbursed with a 20% off Bone Saws coupon.
I'm a South Aussie, but lets face it, its being held in the 5th best golfing state (if we're lucky). How far down the course list is Grange? Barely top 100 in the country AFAIK

Vic and NSW governments mustve been like "Yeah, Nah" otherwise we wouldnt have even got to SA.

I'm sure they'll be reimbursed with a 20% off Bone Saws coupon.
I'm a South Aussie, but lets face it, its being held in the 5th best golfing state (if we're lucky). How far down the course list is Grange? Barely top 100 in the country AFAIK

Vic and NSW governments mustve been like "Yeah, Nah" otherwise we wouldnt have even got to SA.

So ranked in the 90s?

What makes you think SA is the 5th best state? How do you qualify that?

Last edited:
Why would we see a bunch of the worlds top golfers play in Australia? What makes you think even if they put an event on that theyd bother to come?
We live in hope. However cause america thinks their s**t doesnt stink and their idea of international travel is hawaii.

the only reason they'd come is $.

When was the last time an NBA game was played here, an NFL game, a premier league game?

Comparing a sport that is played over multiple tours over multiple continents with a domestic league.

We live in hope. However cause america thinks their s**t doesnt stink and their idea of international travel is hawaii.

the only reason they'd come is $.

Comparing a sport that is played over multiple tours over multiple continents with a domestic league.

Yeh we live in hope, but lets be honest, what about 50 of the top 100 golfers are American? And 3-4 are Australian?

You say its comparing apples and oranges but why?

Why dont they play pro league matches here? Is it because of travel, timing, weather, sponsorships, broadcast times/rights and a million other factors?
The same factors that keep the PGA and other tours away.
The fact that Aussies (crowds) simply do not turn up to those Australian summer tour events? The fact that they bled money for decades before the PGA changed to a wraparound schedule which then somehow became the problem?

You realise the PGA is a domestic league right?

Last edited:
So ranked in the 90s?

What makes you think SA is the 5th best state? How do you qualify that?

Well quite frankly our golf courses are terrible in comparison with the eastern states.
Both in number and quality.
Source: I've played almost all of them (not Royal Adelaide).

1 course in the top 20 in Australia. Another one in the top 40.
Neither of which are being use for LIV.

Well quite frankly our golf courses are terrible in comparison with the eastern states.
Both in number and quality.
Source: I've played almost all of them (not Royal Adelaide).

1 course in the top 20 in Australia. Another one in the top 40.
Neither of which are being use for LIV.

Terrible might be a bit harsh. Kooyonga and Grange are good tracks. RA has a charm to it. Which courses have you played in SA, and or interstate? How did you reach the conclusion that Grange is barely in the top 100?

Of course nothing compares to what we have in Victoria as a state and golf. We do have a fantastic collection of courses, sandbelt (played all of them), Mornington peninsula and the Bellerine too.

Last edited:
Yeh we live in hope, but lets be honest, what about 50 of the top 100 golfers are American? And 3-4 are Australian?

You say its comparing apples and oranges but why?

Why dont they play pro league matches here? Is it because of travel, timing, weather, sponsorships, broadcast times/rights and a million other factors?
The same factors that keep the PGA and other tours away.
The fact that Aussies (crowds) simply do not turn up to those Australian summer tour events? The fact that they bled money for decades before the PGA changed to a wraparound schedule which then somehow became the problem?

You realise the PGA is a domestic league right?

That's played solely in USA?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back