Golf World Golf thread - Foreign and Domestic

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont mind the proposed changes. At the rate the distance off the tee is increasing, the courses aren't really designed to suit these distances. Fairway bunkers are just becoming obsolete in some cases. Golf courses are running out of room to move tees back. The cost to lengthen courses as well as the associated costs to introduce hazards and maintain these courses is getting out of hand. A lot of courses feel as though unless they lengthen their courses, which in some cases is impossible, they miss out on bigger tournaments.

Mike Whan from USGA noted average distance had increased at a rate of 1 yard per year which is fairly consistent meaning in 20 years, if they dont act now, it will become even worse.

I'm over seeing driver-wedge now. I can only imagine how much more it will occur in another 20 years.

I dont mind the proposed changes. At the rate the distance off the tee is increasing, the courses aren't really designed to suit these distances. Fairway bunkers are just becoming obsolete in some cases. Golf courses are running out of room to move tees back. The cost to lengthen courses as well as the associated costs to introduce hazards and maintain these courses is getting out of hand. A lot of courses feel as though unless they lengthen their courses, which in some cases is impossible, they miss out on bigger tournaments.

Mike Whan from USGA noted average distance had increased at a rate of 1 yard per year which is fairly consistent meaning in 20 years, if they dont act now, it will become even worse.

I'm over seeing driver-wedge now. I can only imagine how much more it will occur in another 20 years.

Don't mind either but I think there is other things they should do first.

Fairway and greenside bunkers should be made almost impossible to get out of, fairway bunkers should be so you cannot advance the ball forward and therefor it is a penalty if they go in them. Greenside bunkers have become like so easy now, make them 10 ft deep and such that the players will be scared to go anywhere near them.
Bunkers must become a defense of the course again.

Change the rules on relief, it seems no matter where they hit it these days they find a rule to get relief. Grandstands don't appear in mid ball flight, they know they are there yet they get relief right at the front. Take them to behind or to the side of the stand and stop making it so easy for them

Don't mind either but I think there is other things they should do first.

Fairway and greenside bunkers should be made almost impossible to get out of, fairway bunkers should be so you cannot advance the ball forward and therefor it is a penalty if they go in them. Greenside bunkers have become like so easy now, make them 10 ft deep and such that the players will be scared to go anywhere near them.
Bunkers must become a defense of the course again.

Change the rules on relief, it seems no matter where they hit it these days they find a rule to get relief. Grandstands don't appear in mid ball flight, they know they are there yet they get relief right at the front. Take them to behind or to the side of the stand and stop making it so easy for them
I agree with a lot of this. The drops they're getting from balls landing in the grandstands is just ridiculous.

Anyone caught Justin Thomas' (sponsor inspired) whingeing about this?

The guy is truly the most self-entitled, arrogant little jerk in all of professional sport. And dumb as a box of hammers to boot.

Patrick Reed says hi.

Not that his whingeing isn't annoying

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The easiest way to deal with the distance issue, is to grow the rough to a length where it’s impossible to hit the green so a premium is placed on hitting it straight.

If you can hit it 300+ and straight every time, good luck to you.

The easiest way to deal with the distance issue, is to grow the rough to a length where it’s impossible to hit the green so a premium is placed on hitting it straight.

And make the bunkers so that you cannot play forward out of them, the bunkers must become a penalty again.

And simultaneously pro golf would become even more one dimensional and boring to watch than it is now. If that were even possible.

In what way?
In numerous ways.

I assume that by putting this premium on hitting it straight that as well as overgrowing the rough you would also want to narrow the fairways in the process? After all there is no point having heavy rough if the fairway is 150m wide when you're trying to identify and reward only the straightest of drivers.

If this is the case golf is reduced to nothing more than an execution test where there are precisely no options off the tee, there is one way to play every hole, there is no preferred side of the fairway and no strategy to be employed.

Golf is at it's best when the playing fields are expansive, wide and bold (see Royal Melbourne, the Old Course). It's at it's worst when the playing corridors are narrow and the place is smothered in ridiculous rough (see the penal dead boring US Open set ups of years gone by which allowed greats like Steve Jones to the realm of major winners and put the viewing public to sleep in the process).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back