PC World of Warcraft - Including Classic

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Been watching more stuff. Not sure where I saw an arrow for quests in an earlier video. I may have been imagining it or watching footage of a vanilla private server? Anyway, I've been devouring closed beta videos for the past few days. This looks 100% faithful to the original with only newer UI/options, server and social features. The more I watch the more keen I get. I've tried every WoW xpac since I stopped playing full-time in Cata but I can't get back into it. When I try and manage to force myself to level cap it is the most unmemorable experience. Looking forward to having to make parties for everything again and being able to make new friends. Can't wait to dive back into tanking as s**t tanks from WotLK onwards are going to get found out and I will have my place in Azeroth once again.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
The discussion on what's next is interesting.

One person at Blizzard said new content post Naxx will be considered, another said no chance. What happens in two years time? Will it be left to just stagnate? Classic isn't exactly a cash grab for Blizzard. It has taken them years to develop and it won't have a purchase price as it is a server option with a regular WoW sub. I'd personally love to see TBC come next but that defeats the purpose of this whole thing. Creating yet another option for TBC while keeping classic and retail is ridiculous too. Blizzard would know that retail is getting stale but they've gone so far down that path that there is no coming back. I wonder if classic is a success then if we'll see a new path for WoW? It's easier than creating a sequel or entirely new game. Retail can be further developed for the casual or solo player but classic can continue for the more 'hardcore' players.

thefendoff

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
your chest
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
I wouldn't mind an alternate timeline style continuation. Keep the gameplay as close to vanilla as they can but expand the story in a different direction with new content? Will be interesting to see what they do. We probably wont know for a year minimum though. Vanilla had enough content to keep people going at least a year or two

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
They're releasing the content in phases and close to the original release schedule so we know we've got at least two years of content.

I won't be spending anywhere near the same ridiculous hours as I did back then but I'll be still setting aside some serious hours to get stuck in. So getting to 60 will still probably take me anything up to a month. I'm going to tank so I should have no issues being able to farm dungeons for my pre-MC blues and given what I know now I should be able to set my professions up early and start making some coin.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
Vanilla is more than 2 years, back in the old days only like 1% saw the inside of naxx and that was over 2 years.. After 2.5-3 years they'll need to start looking at addition.

Me personally I'll be happy to not to step foot in naxx again. Would love to kill cthun, most enjoyable fight I remember.

Kept my OG toon from frostmourne
dc6e997cca4a1e11c84a0f75e4a49cc9.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Vanilla was also padded out with various minor updates. 1.12 didn't come out until 2006 so we'll be skipping those sorts of updates purely for major releases. In the end it really boils down to MC, AQ then Naxx. I guess it's up to Blizzard how long these release phases last so content span is a bit arbitrary, but I think everyone will burn through it quicker this time around as the majority of the players and most importantly guild and raid leaders will have been there before.

I think post Naxx content, if any, will be something we'll know inside the first 12 months after Blizzard gauge the popularity.

The discussion on what's next is interesting.

One person at Blizzard said new content post Naxx will be considered, another said no chance. What happens in two years time? Will it be left to just stagnate? Classic isn't exactly a cash grab for Blizzard. It has taken them years to develop and it won't have a purchase price as it is a server option with a regular WoW sub. I'd personally love to see TBC come next but that defeats the purpose of this whole thing. Creating yet another option for TBC while keeping classic and retail is ridiculous too. Blizzard would know that retail is getting stale but they've gone so far down that path that there is no coming back. I wonder if classic is a success then if we'll see a new path for WoW? It's easier than creating a sequel or entirely new game. Retail can be further developed for the casual or solo player but classic can continue for the more 'hardcore' players.

I believe in 2 years they will transition this first Vanilla server to Burning Crusade and then start another Vanilla server for another 2 year cycle.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I believe in 2 years they will transition this first Vanilla server to Burning Crusade and then start another Vanilla server for another 2 year cycle.

Do you think it will fragment the player base too much? You will have retail for those into current progression, purists will remain in classic while others move on to TBC. When it's time for WotLK then what?

I think your idea makes the most sense but I can also see the downside. Blizzard might just wait and see the state of the community on classic after 12 months before making those decisions. I'd nearly cry to walk TBC again as current content, but I also worry it would be lifeless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think it will fragment the player base too much? You will have retail for those into current progression, purists will remain in classic while others move on to TBC. When it's time for WotLK then what?

I think your idea makes the most sense but I can also see the downside. Blizzard might just wait and see the state of the community on classic after 12 months before making those decisions. I'd nearly cry to walk TBC again as current content, but I also worry it would be lifeless.

They'll 100% have to weigh it up when it gets there, for sure...Id def play TBC and WotLK all over again, amazing expansions imo. Anything beyond that my interest would drop right off.

But Blizzard have the money to do that method if they want, if they think its worth the risk.

read that Alterac Valley wont be vanilla. Really disappointed tbh. Summoning Lok the Ice Lord, the wolf riders etc was so much fun. You could log off, have 8 hours sleep and log back in to the same battle. It was absolutely epic and having a good squad on teamspeak/ventrillo all coordinating their attacks could really turn the tide. Thats where playing my mage was the most fun.

I dont care much for the grind to level 40 for a mount and then to level 60. I've learnt my class inside and out and it would take a couple of weeks to be right back in the swing of it. Maybe i would roll a rogue or druid for something different im not sure. But Alterac Valley not being vanilla might actually stop me from buying it. Warsong Gulch was fun and the other 2 BG's from memory also offered great PvP where i spent many hours.

Transmogged into my full Cenarion set this week, just to relive the old days.
Made me shudder at the thought of healing MC and BWL again.

So instead, I'll probably roll a hunter for my main, so I can claim every weapon/item as mine.
What were the different LW'ing specialities?

What were the different LW'ing specialities?

Elemental, Tribal and Dragonscale?

My understanding was they were staging the release of various post 1.12 adds, and AV would be coming in about 6 months or so?

I started playing during BC, so would definitely be up for classic BC, also WotLK, then if they'd pretend that nothing post WotLK had happened, that'd be fine with me.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Elemental, Tribal and Dragonscale?

My understanding was they were staging the release of various post 1.12 adds, and AV would be coming in about 6 months or so?

I started playing during BC, so would definitely be up for classic BC, also WotLK, then if they'd pretend that nothing post WotLK had happened, that'd be fine with me.

I played a bit of vanilla but was a total scrub lord - I just pugged stuff in my crappy blues and spammed fireball over and over. It wasn't until BC that I learnt proper raiding, classes etc so I consider myself more of a BC guy too. I guess that's why I'm pumped for classic to play it again with what I know now. If classic BC happened I'd probably cry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back