PC World of Warcraft - Including Classic

Remove this Banner Ad

Another classic US server has been added, so there must be some real demand. Apparently all of Europe has only 2 PvP servers and there were queues of 12k just for name registration. Surely Blizzard haven't underestimated the interest?
Those two servers in EU are the english speaking ones, they do have Russian, German and French pvp servers. I see that the oceanic server is at medium pop now.

Those two servers in EU are the english speaking ones, they do have Russian, German and French pvp servers. I see that the oceanic server is at medium pop now.

That's not bad then. I was watching a video on Punkrat's channel about "only" having 9 US servers and in the comments were full of Continental Euros complaining about their lack of servers. Just reading through again it looks like they would rather play the English language servers which is why they were complaining. Another English PvP server has just been added too due to the demand. This isn't even taking into account the amount of returning players who will be waiting until launch as they don't want to waste half a month's sub just to reserve a name. Seems like Blizzard really underestimated this, or they're betting on a large drop off.

Man, I can't wait. I've been eating up every video and bit of info I can find.

I'm betting on the long term drop too. I know myself and a lot of my guild are planning on levelling our toons for nostalgia and that's it. The ones planning on full-on raiding are the rarities.

It's also likely Blizz are keeping servers overpopulated in order to contain the amount of people leaving the regular version. With no expansions or paid content other than a sub, Classic isn't going to make them much money.

I joined a guild (well, joined a Discord) last night because their description sounded like the perfect fit for me, and just talking to the guys there no one really knows how it will work out. Their core is from a server top 5 guild from vanilla to WoD and as much as they are looking forward to raiding real WoW again nobody knows what will happen when the reality of the grind hits. Every one is older and more mature and probably don't have the time they used to. A lot those guilds planning on hitting MC in week two will get a huge wake up call imo. My plan is to definitely stick it out as I was always a bit disappointed I didn't get more into vanilla at the time and raid. Blizzard will make a killing from returning subs even if it's for only 6 months and don't be surprised if they sneak a few store mounts in too. It's a business and if it's lucrative don't be surprised to see BC and Wrath get the same treatment. By then all of WoW, including retail, will have truly run its course.

I joined a guild (well, joined a Discord) last night because their description sounded like the perfect fit for me, and just talking to the guys there no one really knows how it will work out. Their core is from a server top 5 guild from vanilla to WoD and as much as they are looking forward to raiding real WoW again nobody knows what will happen when the reality of the grind hits. Every one is older and more mature and probably don't have the time they used to. A lot those guilds planning on hitting MC in week two will get a huge wake up call imo. My plan is to definitely stick it out as I was always a bit disappointed I didn't get more into vanilla at the time and raid. Blizzard will make a killing from returning subs even if it's for only 6 months and don't be surprised if they sneak a few store mounts in too. It's a business and if it's lucrative don't be surprised to see BC and Wrath get the same treatment. By then all of WoW, including retail, will have truly run its course.

They are trying to squeeze the final bit of blood from the stone.
They got 15 years out of it and we maybe see one more expansion to retail but player counts are dropping overall.

If you could just reboot an old game with minimal work and rake in cash you would.

The issue for long term playability of classic is that hardcore raiders will clear naxx within a month or so of its release and then get bored, the rest will struggle to find 40 people to raid consistently and the thing that killed most vanilla guilds was the tanks leaving and you couldn't get past 4 horsemen, pvp will be a bit of fun but there is no long term hook overall.

Or maybe classic takes off and we get classic tbc after :p

They are trying to squeeze the final bit of blood from the stone.
They got 15 years out of it and we maybe see one more expansion to retail but player counts are dropping overall.

If you could just reboot an old game with minimal work and rake in cash you would.

The issue for long term playability of classic is that hardcore raiders will clear naxx within a month or so of its release and then get bored, the rest will struggle to find 40 people to raid consistently and the thing that killed most vanilla guilds was the tanks leaving and you couldn't get past 4 horsemen, pvp will be a bit of fun but there is no long term hook overall.

Or maybe classic takes off and we get classic tbc after :p

I know what you're saying but actually a fair bit of work went into this. The original client wouldn't work so they had to rebuild it with the retail client which is why it took as long as building a new game. They would have punched the numbers and known returnjng subs alone would cover the cost. Even if half the players only play 3-6 months that's enough in subs to make up the full price of a game.

I think I saw retail subs are between 4-6 million? Definitely a big drop from the nearly 15 million during WotLK. Nothing lasts forever though and they've had an awesome run. Surely it's time for some new IP from Blizzard though.

I know what you're saying but actually a fair bit of work went into this. The original client wouldn't work so they had to rebuild it with the retail client which is why it took as long as building a new game. They would have punched the numbers and known returnjng subs alone would cover the cost. Even if half the players only play 3-6 months that's enough in subs to make up the full price of a game.

I think I saw retail subs are between 4-6 million? Definitely a big drop from the nearly 15 million during WotLK. Nothing lasts forever though and they've had an awesome run. Surely it's time for some new IP from Blizzard though.

The people who bought blizzard killed them. Wouldn't surprise me to see them closed down once wow dies

After reading about Bungie's experience with Activision you can only wonder what Blizzard have had to compromise over the years.

The fact that all the actual blizzard guys are gone now says enough. Chris Meltzen was on a warhammer podcast i listen to recently and said some interesting things

The fact that all the actual blizzard guys are gone now says enough. Chris Meltzen was on a warhammer podcast i listen to recently and said some interesting things

Was it a recent one? I listened to something by him and another by David Brevik from Diablo a while ago and they were interesting too and not very glowing of Activision and the modern state of Blizzard.

Was it a recent one? I listened to something by him and another by David Brevik from Diablo a while ago and they were interesting too and not very glowing of Activision and the modern state of Blizzard.

Yeah couple of weeks ago

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm betting on the long term drop too. I know myself and a lot of my guild are planning on levelling our toons for nostalgia and that's it. The ones planning on full-on raiding are the rarities.

It's also likely Blizz are keeping servers overpopulated in order to contain the amount of people leaving the regular version. With no expansions or paid content other than a sub, Classic isn't going to make them much money.
Part of a guild that has been around since classic, there is a group returning who havent played for years just for it. From the raid group on retail a few of us are going to do what you yourself are but there wont be any long term pull after that.

I'm not going to play classic but those first 2 years of wow are the best online gaming I've ever had. I still listen to the soundtrack from time to time.

I'll be definitely playing with the music on for a while before I just start listening to my own music as usual. I can already hear The Barrens in my head now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back