PC World of Warcraft - Including Classic

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't played since BC, but I see there is a free trial up to 20... Is the game still any fun?
I enjoy the pvp aspect with mates but I did majority of my playing in BC and IMO it doesn't compare

Haven't been on since start of WoD but just armoried my guild expecting to see all new names in the top ranks and mine to be completely gone after a I was playing some D3 with an old guildy who said they booted him. Still a couple of familiar names and my toon is still in a special rank. Them warm fuzzy feelings. At least somebody in there hasn't forgotten their WotLK MT and an officer.

It must be a surreal experience to have played WoW all these years.

I played very early on, mostly exploring solo and trading metals and not really making that much progress overall, but eventually it just got very dull. Even so I still remember some of it as among the best 'gaming moments' ever - just how utterly cool it was to leave the horde base and run into Razor Hill for the first time, etc. Blizzard smashed this out of the park with the mood and feel of the game.

What ended up not working for me was the combination of how limited it was to solo, and of course the endless grinding - felt like they'd balanced it out so nicely that it actually was irrelevant what gear you got, you'd always be going at about the same pace every level.

I always wonder though with these games, what happens to all the odd things and player memories along the way - for example around the time I was losing interest, they had that gate-opening thingy which let people get the 'Scarab Lord' title. But I wonder if anyone who got it even plays anymore, or whether people remember it. And then later I read that an expansion did all sorts of weird stuff to the Barrens and flooded the Thousand Needles... seems weird, as in, do people now sit around chatting about the good old days?

Probably the most interesting thing I even did in WoW was go for a long swim down the eastern side of the map, spend half an hour trying to climb mountains, and eventually bust into an area that wasn't properly terrained... it was just a big flat area full of computer squares, which I assume was intended for a future new area or something.

Hrm. Having loved everything Warcraft since W2, I sort of can't decide if WoW was one of the best things in the history of gaming, or a missed opportunity. Which probably sounds weird when you're talking about one of the biggest games in history. But despite being a rabid fan I haven't touched it for ~9-10 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An old guild mate of mine was on jubei since the start so he managed to snag the name Tank. As far as I know he never even tanked.
Crap, I forget what guild he was in. Wasn't it Dakine or Ascending Darkness?

Crap, I forget what guild he was in. Wasn't it Dakine or Ascending Darkness?

The entire time I knew and played with him, BC to Cata he was Dropbears of Funk (represent). I know he started somewhere else but he was already in DboF before I joined and then never left. I jumped on the other day out of curiosity for the first time in about 12 months and noticed our guild officially went social and I'm pretty sure I saw his name still on the guild list.

Anyone else get a beta invite for legion?

Enjoying the changes they've made
I'll have to check my mail.

I was listening to the soundtrack from vanilla today. Probably sounds corny but the memories that music brings back. Good times.

Watched the movie and decided to play a bit more before Legion, one of those new guys that never experienced the real heights of WoW, I'm hoping Legion can at least be something big :(

Watched the movie and decided to play a bit more before Legion, one of those new guys that never experienced the real heights of WoW, I'm hoping Legion can at least be something big :(

I'm seeing it tonight in gold class :D been showing the missus heaps of lore videos and a couple of the books I've got trying to help her understand the characters and the background of the first war. I don't think an ounce of it has sunk in. Oh well. Her problem :p

I loved the movie but unless you know a lot of lore it might seem a little slow in some parts

The spell effects were done awesomely I hope the do the warcraft 3 story as a movie or even the malfurion/illidan story from war of the ancients.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back