World relays

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Great news!

IAAF announce a planned World Relays event in 2014 or 2015.
http://www.iaaf.org/mini/oly12/News/NewsDetail.aspx?id=67325

This would be a fantastic event - who doesn't love a good track relay. And not just 4x100 and 4x400 - they are also planning a 4x200, 4x800 and 4x1500. For those of you who haven't seen one, a 4x200 is absolutely fantastic (caveat: must have crossover after 500 metres - if they run in lanes all the way, it is just a less exciting 4x100).

And in the Bahamas, too. Hmm, must check Webjet....................

Really hope this comes off. It is also a good move to make aths less reliant on the Olympic events only, which will make it more attractive to the public. I see Aths these days like test cricket in the 1970s - good product, but needs some expansion. One day cricket provided that without taking over from test Cricket. Maybe this can be the start of something similar. No gimmick events - I don't want to see Usain Bolt in an egg-and-spoon race - but real athletics presented in a different way to the Olympics and WCs, which will always remain the ultimates.

I think this is a great idea. The 4 x 1,500 will be a battle of the Africans where as the 4 x 800m will be a wide open field compared to the yanks dominating the 4 x 400m.

Surprised they are starting in the Bahamas - but if the IAAF are getting support from the government then I guess it makes some sense. You figure they would get some decent tourism numbers from the USA. Then again the tax free status might have helped.

Latest news - all on track. To be honest, I was unconvinced this event would ever happen - I didn't think they would get the sponsors and the top athletes would pull out. But it's going ahead - the yanks seem fully on board with strong teams, the Jamaicans are maiking all the right noises, the Kenyans have had trials for their distance relay teams.

Can't wait. Australia has a few teams qualified - the men are in everything, the women only in the 4x800 and 4x1500 - if they wind up getting a spot in the 4x4 and 4x1 they will have teams. So far Pearson is not listed - if we get in the 4x1, she may be added. If we make any finals I'll be surprised (maybe men's 4x4).

Did I say I can't wait? I love relays.......

Starts 24th May.

And just a bit of historical interest. Was doing a bit of Youtube-ing and found a bit of film of the 1952 4x100m Women's from Helsinki. It's not a very good clip, but you can see that at the last change, Australia (Lane 2) have a clear metre lead - until they drop the baton. Bearing in mind that our last runner was Marjorie Jackson, who had equaled the World Record in winning the individual 100m, it's definitely the One That Got Away.

You have to play around a bit with the pause button at about the 15-second mark (the clip picks up just after the Aussies drop the baton).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQf_u4mHyGU

Jackson actually recovers pretty well (apparently she caught the baton on the bounce).

Last edited:
So far been really good. The 4x800 was an amazing race. The Kenyans got out to a 50+ metre lead by the 2nd runner, probably got out to 70 metres in front, and won by about 1 1/2. Their last runner ran his first lap in 50 secs (not far off WR pace) and his second lap in 60 (Vic Juniors pace).

Aussies did OK to come 4th and were challenging on the last lap. I reckon if they had their chance over again, they would change their tactics. Should have put the fastest runners first. But, you have a go, and see how it works out. Didn't this time.

Last edited:
Gotta barrack for the Belgies in the men's 4x4 - 3 Borlee Brothers.

Aussies ran poorly in their heat - had a terrible change (no 2) and that put them completely out of the race. They were in the top half - had the bad change - 10 metres behind, in the 2nd group. Never got back into it.

Aussie women 4x4 were terrible. Put the fastest runner last - by that time, they were well out of it.

Oh, and just to answer the obvious question:

1. Yes, the American men stuffed up the baton change in the 4x200 final and got DQ'ed.
2. Today, the American men stuffed up the baton change in the 4x100 heat, got DQ'ed and missed the final.

I have no idea how a country with such a huge collegiate athletics system and coaching are so abysmal at baton changing - a basic skill we start teaching kids at 9 years old.

The American women so far have been OK - they generally are far better than the men.

:drunk:
Haha what happened to all those college relays honing the US skills at relays?? How do you stuff up a 4 x 200m baton change over>>
Actually a 4x200 change is harder than a 4x1 - or easier - depends how you do it.

The problem is that the incoming runner is at the end of a 200m sprint - he is running significantly slower than the outgoing runner, who is accelerating to top speed. The fastest change is theoretically the blind change - as per the 4x1. The trouble is, it has to be perfect - change too soon, and the outgoing runner is too slow - result, collision. Change too late, and the outgoing runner is moving away from the incoming - result, no change, or severe slowdown and disaster. The margin of error is tiny - much less than in a 4x1. The Yanks did blind changes (and left hand to left hand:drunk:), and had the classic - incoming runner screaming 'Slow Down!!' to his mate.

I always train little athletes to do a visual change. Keep your eye on the incoming runner and key off him. But - not everyone does I'm pleased (and slightly vindicated) to note that the new Word Record-Holding Jamaican team also do visual changes. I can't wait for my next coaches' meeting.

Overall, it was a fabulous event - even if it was only about 50% supported by the top athletes. Next year, I guarantee it will be even bigger. Aths needs more events like this - fun, engaging, exciting, team-oriented.

Relays are the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow Brazil won the 4x100m final, beating USA, Jamaica, GB

They did well and were cleaner than USA, Jamaica and GB. Looks like it equals their national record.

The time isn''t great and May is very early in the northern hemisphere season and Brazil's nationals would have been a few weeks ago. I would expect the winner at the World Championships to be running close to 37.5.

Here are the videos from the last 2 days with today's first.

It was a good event overall - relays are great. I really, really hope they get it up and running regularly again. Athletics needs some pizzazz, flash-bang-wallop to attract an audience. Team events are terrific for that.

Couple of issues. The hurdles relay didn't work, for the simple reason that without a baton, you lose a lot of the excitement. I know that's going to be difficult in hurdles, but something has to be better than visually judging those change-over zones that they used. If you slow the video right down (hurdles-geek mode:cool:), you can see in the final that the Japanese probably break in the first female-male changeover. The Americans definitely do in the second female-male changeover. I guess they though that after DQ'ing one team already for a break at the start, if they DQ'ed both remaining teams, there would be no one left to get medals - so they thought 'One break each - let's call it even, and go to the podium before anyone notices'.

4x200 - aaaaaaarrrrrrgh - don't run in lanes!!!!! Yes, there'll be some collisions, so what? Running 2 laps without being able to tell who is in front until after the last bend is dumb. Change-over at 500 metres - that will give some separation, and set up great last leg action.

The 2x2x400 was great. Need more like that. The mixed events were all pretty interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back