World Series ODI Classic Matches On FOX!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched Cricket Legends with Curtley Ambrose, never really seen him interviewed before but what a champ.

they don’t make them like him anymore.

I know Johnson had some surliness about him at times but I think everyone knew he was a fairly gentle guy. Starc is about as imposing as a male nurse.
Anderson is a cranky c*** but he’s slow and can’t hurt you. Morkel was gentle. Steyn was angry and fast I guess but also gave lots of interviews and seemed a pretty fun guy.

the closest I can think of to Ambrose’s kind of menacing mystery is maybe Shannon Gabriel - fast and always scowling, but his distinct lack of Ambrose’s considerable skill keeps him down a few rungs

That game where Bruce Reid couldn't lay bat on ball for a whole over to cost Australia a win was comical. Australia needed two off the last over and went on to lose by one run. Anybody batting #11 for Australia today would have scored at least one run in that final over.

Last edited:

There are some real s**t boring periods in these early 90's matches at times looking back. It's not so much the lack of runs that does me it's the lack of boundaries at least trying to be hit combined with the fact the bowling team still has 5 on the boundary and don't even look like trying to take wickets.

Just watching Australia vs Pakistan at Adelaide oval in 92/93. Dean Jones gets a warning for backing up too far by the bowler (something he shouldn't have to do in my book) and then proceeds to back away during his run-up the very next ball he faces him.

I enjoy his after-dinner speaking and some of his yarns but bloody hell he's a twat

There are some real sh*t boring periods in these early 90's matches at times looking back. It's not so much the lack of runs that does me it's the lack of boundaries at least trying to be hit combined with the fact the bowling team still has 5 on the boundary and don't even look like trying to take wickets.
Early 90s was a pretty ordinary time for cricket generally, West Indies were on the wane, we were pre Warne, England was England, second half of the decade was spectacular but the first few years weren't great.

Loving these Australia A games, what a great summer that was.
Early 90s was a pretty ordinary time for cricket generally, West Indies were on the wane, we were pre Warne, England was England, second half of the decade was spectacular but the first few years weren't great.
Another elite nation in South Africa coming back kicked things off towards the middle of the decade.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No wonder the poms couldn’t make the finals
The Aus A batting lineup
Hayden
Blewett
Ponting
Bevan
Langer
Martyn
😮
It's funny that Blewett that played brilliantly in the A team before getting called up to the proper side and starting off well in Test matches, ended up having a pretty crap international career being particularly useless in ODIs.

Cant believe how many chances Damien Martyn got compared to Brad Hodge.

Fair to say richie richardson was the wrong choice as captain for west indies.

It's funny that Blewett that played brilliantly in the A team before getting called up to the proper side and starting off well in Test matches, ended up having a pretty crap international career being particularly useless in ODIs.

made centuries in his first two tests then soon after he made a huge score batting all day with one of the Waughs in SA, only made one more century in his career I think.

actually blewett would be one of my random nominees for the prettiest bowler thread. Looked like a natural even as a part timer. Could swing it too

Not sure if that's right. I remember his first odi v SA and he went berserk. I had never seen anything like it from an Australian opener in an odi until that point. Simpson was still coach and it was all very methodical, steady as she goes cricket. He never got an extended run at it and from memory even after the innings I mentioned he was dropped after another 3 or 4 games. Seem to remember a lot of rubbish mentioned like ODIs would affect his test cricket too much.
One of my all time favourite cricket stats is that Mark Taylor and Michael Slater have an almost identical ODI strike rates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back