World Series ODI Classic Matches On FOX!

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember buying a DVD called 'battle for the Tasman' presented by Ian Chappell feautring 6 classic ODI matches between Australia and New Zealand. The DVD contained a match from 1998 at the Adelaide Oval where Australia chased down just over 260 to win by three wickets with about 2 balls to spare. That match wasn't included in Fox Cricket's countdown from the 90's and for what it's worth, I think it should have been.

they don’t make them like him anymore.

I know Johnson had some surliness about him at times but I think everyone knew he was a fairly gentle guy. Starc is about as imposing as a male nurse.
Anderson is a cranky c*** but he’s slow and can’t hurt you. Morkel was gentle. Steyn was angry and fast I guess but also gave lots of interviews and seemed a pretty fun guy.

the closest I can think of to Ambrose’s kind of menacing mystery is maybe Shannon Gabriel - fast and always scowling, but his distinct lack of Ambrose’s considerable skill keeps him down a few rungs
Allan Donald has entered the chat.

Watched a classic ODI at the WACA where Jones got a century in a loss (Botham went berserk with the bat) and a spectator ran on the field to shake his hand when he got his ton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he bowled the entire 1986 tied test with a f-**ing sweater on during conditions that nearly killed dean jones!
I think this is a bit of a myth. After Dean Jones died I was watching a lot of the footage from that test and couldn't see any where Mathews was wearing a sweater though he was certainly daft enough to have done something like that. And I'd like to have seen Hawkeye and Snicko on that last wicket! Ump did himself a mischief getting the finger up so quick.

I think this is a bit of a myth. After Dean Jones died I was watching a lot of the footage from that test and couldn't see any where Mathews was wearing a sweater though he was certainly daft enough to have done something like that. And I'd like to have seen Hawkeye and Snicko on that last wicket! Ump did himself a mischief getting the finger up so quick.
True on all counts: here's the last over. No jumper.

Kepler Wessels just dropped an absolute sitter off the bat of Viv Richards.

Also LOL at the graphic of Kepler's bowling describing him as 'right arm slow.'

The 82'83 Gabba match between Australia and England, the one where Hookesy hits 22 off Bob Willis to win the match....Vic Marks has Greg Chappell absolutely plum LBW and Bill Lawry says "Its probably going down leg side"

This post is a bit confusing, World Series Cricket refers to the unofficial cricket matches organised by Kerry Packer from 1997 to 1979, it would be great to watch them again.
True , as someone whose first taste of cricket, was World Series Cricket it does sound strange when someone that did not see it calls other games after WSC cricket as World Series Cricket too. I think the confusing comes about because after the WSG cricket ended in 1979, the Australian Cricket Board called the limited overs series games here, the World Series Cup series so some of the branding of WSC cricket that Packer created for his own cricket seasons at channel 9 in late 70's got used for the a few more years by the cricket board here as it was too sexy and successful to ignore and not use at the time.

I moved house recently and found some old cricket cards from after World Series Cricket ended from early 1980's for the one day series and branding of it still looked very much like the red, black and white colouring of WSC cricket from 1978 and 79.

Last edited:
Seen this game recently on youtube and curious to me it seems a 40 overs limited game. No Lillee or Holding so they must have both been injured. One of first times I ever remember seeing helmets worn. David Hookes was coming back from broken jaw and batting in something like a helmet for car racing...lol

I assume that season there was two international one day match series. 50 over series and 40 over series. They seemed to call this 40 over game International Cup as a title.

Stuart Clark was talking about that during the third Test, he reckoned you'd question the sanity of your captain if you bowled someone like that these days.
Yeah, still stunned Boon or Wessels ever got to bowl. I think it was an experimental time when some captains still tried to pick a limited overs team with just four bowlers and try to make the other 10 overs up from the batsmen. If Greg Chappell or Allan Border not playing the other batsmen probably could not bowl but someone had to be tried if you were silly enough to not pick a 5th bowler in the 11.

True , as someone whose first taste of cricket, was World Series Cricket it does sound strange when someone that did not see it calls other games after WSC cricket as World Series Cricket too. I think the confusing comes about because after the WSG cricket ended in 1979, the Australian Cricket Board called the limited overs series games here, the World Series Cup series so some of the branding of WSC cricket that Packer created for his own cricket seasons at channel 9 in late 70's got used for the a few more years by the cricket board here as it was too sexy and successful to ignore and not use at the time.

I moved house recently and found some old cricket cards from after World Series Cricket ended from early 1980's for the one day series and branding of it still looked very much like the red, black and white colouring of WSC cricket from 1978 and 79.

I too loved World Series Cricket very much back in the day although I first started watching cricket in 1974/75 when I was seven years old. But WSC won all us youngsters over although we still followed traditional cricket too.

As for calling later games WSC, it's similar to how Australian Rules football is now called AFL, which is ludicrous - it would be like calling the whole fast-food industry McDonald's or the airline industry Qantas. I even read an article referring to pre-1987 football as AFL which is nonsensicial and just historically wrong.

Watched a heap of these games in the winter and ODI cricket will never be the same. Up until about 15 years ago the best team played consistently. Bowlers would be on a rotation but generally speaking there was always a strong Australian team on the park. Players these days are happy to skip ODI matches to rest, that's the main reason crowds are nowhere near as big as the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back