World Series of Poker Europe (WSOPE)

Remove this Banner Ad

(had posted this in the EPT thread)

event 2 FT stream -

they just said Hellmuth is on 99 WSOP cashes and 49 FTs and he's still in event 3

Jackie Glazier chip leader at the final table of the inaugural WSOPE Ladies Event, holds 29% of the chips in play
http://www.pokernews.com/news/2013/10/2013-wsop-europe-day-1-16511.htm
http://www.wsop.com/tournaments/updates.asp?grid=980&tid=12997

I've always been in favour of Ladies events, however, there should not be a bracelet awarded. I don't care if it's not considered equal to an open event bracelet, you just shouldn't win a bracelet. A trophy would suffice.

TBH have the opposing view to the ladies events being awarded bracelets. Everything should be done to encourage women to play the game and having bracelet events exclusively for them is a good thing if you ask me. Remember a ton of bracelets have been won over the decades in super weak fields - you only have to go back half a decade to see how far the game has progressed, if you watch vids of events from even a decade ago you would be surprised how bad the players were, let alone what was going on before then. Yes, the women's fields are weaker currently than the open fields but that doesn't devalue the value of a bracelet historically - and the numbers they are getting to these events aren't really that small historically for the WSOP.

Already rumblings of moving WSOPE to Barcelona, just a matter of time I reckon, 2-3 years. After that would probably be Berlin.

And you can pretty much bank on WSOP-APAC shipping off to Macau in 3-4 years.

TBH have the opposing view to the ladies events being awarded bracelets. Everything should be done to encourage women to play the game and having bracelet events exclusively for them is a good thing if you ask me.

Ultimately it doesn't make a huge difference to me whether they award bracelets for non-open events or not. I mean it's not as if I'll ever have a bracelet tally to compare with anyone. But if I had to choose to award one or not, I'd say no. It just feels somehow 'wrong' that a restricted-entry event can be awarded a similar (non-money) prize as an open event.

Remember a ton of bracelets have been won over the decades in super weak fields - you only have to go back half a decade to see how far the game has progressed, if you watch vids of events from even a decade ago you would be surprised how bad the players were, let alone what was going on before then. Yes, the women's fields are weaker currently than the open fields but that doesn't devalue the value of a bracelet historically - and the numbers they are getting to these events aren't really that small historically for the WSOP.

In absolute terms the fields of the past were weaker (and smaller), but in relative terms how can you compare them? As the saying goes, you can only play the opposition you're put against. Also, a 10K buy-in 10+ years ago is a lot bigger than what it is now. So I don't think you can use the weaker/smaller fields as a comparison tool.

I've wondered how Stu Ungar would go against the pros of today; I mean was he a legend, or just a legend of his time?

WSOPE is over:

1 - Adrian Mateos €1,000,000
2 - Fabrice Soulier €610,000
3 - Dominik Nitsche €400,000
4 - Jerome Huge €251,000
5 - Ravi Raghavan €176,000
6 - Benny Spindler €126,000

Negreanu won the HR and for the 2nd time, POTY:

1 - Daniel Negreanu €725,000
2 - Nicolau Villa Lobos €450,000
3 - Philipp Gruissem €250,000
4 - David Peters €150,500