World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you aware of the context of Ungar's win?
Do you really think anyone here doesn't?

As most would know, maybe even you BERBA, Stu was a pretty decent poker player amongst his peers. Yet they say that he was unmatched in gin rummy. So he's a 3 time WSOP Main Event winner, yet poker wasn't really his game.

Do you really think anyone here doesn't?

As most would know, maybe even you BERBA, Stu was a pretty decent poker player amongst his peers. Yet they say that he was unmatched in gin rummy. So he's a 3 time WSOP Main Event winner, yet poker wasn't really his game.

Yeh that was kinda the point of my most.

Cocaine addict who was near death when he came back and won his 3rd WSOP ME.

Ease him on the high horse talk champ.

Ungar was obviously a freakish talent, but there are a slew of freakish talents in any main event field these days - there are currently playing all-time players who have never made the top 100 of the ME let alone won it. I can name 10 current players who are probably in the top 15 NLH players in the world who have never made it within a bulls roar of a ME final table - and who would be at least the equal of Ungar in terms of pure ability.

There is some analysis done in the last 12 months or so of Ungar's final table in 1997 on one of the strategy sites, I can't remember where I read it - Ungar comes across as just levels above the other players but they come across as freaking terrible. He was ahead of his time in working out how to exploit the fish but at the end of they day they were just fish.

Bradman never faced the Windies and McGrath and Steyn either....

It's a bit nonsensical to compare cricket to poker. There was a debate a few years ago about who was the best NLH player of all time and the consensus was it was between Ivey and Ungar. If there were some reliable rating system they used in other sport (not that junk index they use) currently Phil Ivey would struggle to be in the top 100 NLH players in the world, let alone of all time. That shows you where the game is now even from a few years ago, let alone when Ungar was alive.

No ones saying he wasn't a great player, because he was, all I'm saying is that in today's game he wouldn't be "the best" around.

I would like Newhouse to win because he's apparently the only person on the final table to have had sex with Brandi Hawbaker, after Carlos M got knocked out. Though there are rumours about Brandi and JC....

Brandi is the Ungar of poker groupies. Amazing talent, passed on at too young an age. Would be good to have a shadow of Ungar @ this years main event, obv, given he's the best of all time (!!).

Would be great to see the GOAT win in some capacity. Go Brandi/Newhizzle!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brandi was so good for poker. Anyway, Nov 9 info:

9 down to 3: Tue 12:30PM AEST (near-live stream ESPN2 + WSOP.com)

3 down to 1: Wed 1PM AEST (near-live stream ESPN + WSOP.com).

I pick Tran, Loosli + Farber for final 3.

LOL @ Frenchmen that don't know the rules of different countries. You're at the final table of the biggest event and you forget what constitutes a raise? Really, you're that stupid? Ansky et all suggesting he may have been angling. If so, he proved he's not intelligent enough to make a good angle cos he absolutely pwned himself.

EDIT: re angle, appears it was on a different hand (one I missed) where he had KK and made out as if he wanted to call a raise but put out an amount > 1/2 raise so was forced to make it a full raise. In this case, I have no issue with the attempted angle, would like to see it though.

Farbar pulls off a great bluff with air

Farbar 56 v Reiss Q7

Flop 337, farbar check/call, turn 2, farbar check/raise, river 9 farbar bomb leads river 24million into 38 million and reiss tank folds

Reiss is the new champ after running really well and playing well enough

Serious dip in final table skill level this year, I think the overall feeling after this one is a bit flat

Hopefully we get an interesting winner next year

Farbar pulls off a great bluff with air

Farbar 56 v Reiss Q7

Flop 337, farbar check/call, turn 2, farbar check/raise, river 9 farbar bomb leads river 24million into 38 million and reiss tank folds

His body language was really impressive, really sold the hand there and then it payed off with a flush a few hands later that got Farbar semi-close

Reiss is a good winner, he ran well but played well certainly. Made a few good laydowns yesterday if I remember correctly

Pretty poor form that some pros have been bagging out Riess on Twitter and saying he played terribly.

Why go public like that?

I reckon the only really bad player that has won the ME recently is Gold. I've never seen someone run so well

He's like the Woewodin of the WSOP

Lots of people not happy with how he handled himself, came off as very arrogant

Interesting stories coming out about him, seems he's spent most of his time quite literally broke, had $200 to his name not long ago playing 1/2

Lost 30k in a night on the pits after binking a circuit event

Said he won it because he "is the best player in the world". Reminds me of a quote John Lennon gave once about Ringo Starr when someone asked him if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, Ringo left the Beatles for a week or so so Paul McCartney had to fill in on drums. Lennon said: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles."

Riess definitely wasn't the best player even at that table, played well enough though. Having said that its a pity Lehavot or Raptor couldn't make it to HU to serve him up a cold dish of Humble Pie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back