World Test Championship 2019-2021

Remove this Banner Ad

No you can't grade it based on the quality of opposition as it's irrelevant like you said.

The championship should run until each side has played the same amount of matches, alternatively if sides are only playing 7 or 8 tests a year, they need to up their output if they wish to compete for the championship.

No one is going to play the Bangers in a 5 test series to make up for The Ashes though

No one is going to play the Bangers in a 5 test series to make up for The Ashes though

This. The likes of WI and Bangladesh don't play less games because they want to. They are just not attractive oppositions to host given the revenue side of things, as opposed to the big sides.

How on earth are we rated 5th in Test rankings by the ICC and England are 4th?! I get that we lost in SA in 2018 and to India at home, but England lost to WI and now again to us at home. It's pretty confusing.

How on earth are we rated 5th in Test rankings by the ICC and England are 4th?! I get that we lost in SA in 2018 and to India at home, but England lost to WI and now again to us at home. It's pretty confusing.

The last 3 years performances are taken into consideration with 50% weightage given to the first two years and 100% weightage for the recent 12 months I think. In between, Australia also lost to Pakistan in the UAE and drew with Bangladesh away. The algorithm is such that you lose more points for losing/failing to win against a weaker team and so it would probably have affected Australia's ranking points.

In any case, with the introduction of the World test championship, the ICC team rankings have become moot and practically have no relevance other than to know about a team's recent form.

The last 3 years performances are taken into consideration with 50% weightage given to the first two years and 100% weightage for the recent 12 months I think. In between, Australia also lost to Pakistan in the UAE and drew with Bangladesh away. The algorithm is such that you lose more points for losing/failing to win against a weaker team and so it would probably have affected Australia's ranking points.

In any case, with the introduction of the World test championship, the ICC team rankings have become moot and practically have no relevance other than to know about a team's recent form.
Very informative. Cheers mate!

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27295281/new-world-test-championship-playing-conditions

A quirk of this is that teams playing longer series are at more risk.
A win in a longer series is worth less points (the same number of points are available across a series but laid out on a match by match basis).

A team that wins a match in a three match series, receives 40 points but loses two per lost over.
In a five match series, those two deducted from 24 points. Along with there 40% more chances to offend in the longer series.
It rewards short series by reducing risk.
Doesn’t look like any penalty was applied for 4th test (s**t rates both ways)

I like the test championship, it is a necessary idea that hopefully boosts test cricket and they will figure out the rules a bit better afte rthe first iteration.

The main problem I see is only playing one test for the final. Kind of goes against what test cricket is all about, should be best of three series and should be played in the nation that finished top of the table.

Playing one test for a final is a bit mickey mouse. If it's a flat deck and you lose the toss you'd be stiff

I like the test championship, it is a necessary idea that hopefully boosts test cricket and they will figure out the rules a bit better afte rthe first iteration.

The main problem I see is only playing one test for the final. Kind of goes against what test cricket is all about, should be best of three series and should be played in the nation that finished top of the table.

Playing one test for a final is a bit mickey mouse. If it's a flat deck and you lose the toss you'd be stiff
In this vein they should also make each WTC series have a minimum of 3 tests. Makes the points system more meaningful and stops the bigger nations shortchanging the smaller nations in terms of test match experience.

Last year in Test cricket there legitimately would have been the least amount of flat decks in about 50 years. 2018 was the lowest average runs per dismissal since 1957.

Yes and as I said - teams that won the toss in the last 2 years have gone 50-26 (11 draws)

Winning the toss is the primary factor behind winning most tests these days, regardless of how good the pitch is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and as I said - teams that won the toss in the last 2 years have gone 50-26 (11 draws)

Winning the toss is the primary factor behind winning most tests these days, regardless of how good the pitch is.

Yeah and this is what makes Paine's comments after the 5th test baffling. "We don't see the toss as that important anyway".

The toss is crucial, you gotta make it count when you win it.

I don't mind the idea and concept, although the points system and allocated test matches don't really give a exact indication where the teams are at. If everyone played everyone evenly (and I know that will never happen), it would be fairer.

It'd almost be better off having Aust, Eng, Ind, SA in a test championship and all other series as lead ups, if the others are going to only get 2 and 3 test series.

It's silly that Zim, Ire, Afg have test status but aren't included.

Yeah and this is what makes Paine's comments after the 5th test baffling. "We don't see the toss as that important anyway".

Like with his comments on his DRS troubles, I think Paine uses "we" instead of "I" when he's saying something he doesn't fully stand behind.

It is so stupid and is sadly what you come to expect in this fake news era. Any reasonable report should have immediately responded with any number of basic stats to show that statement is horrendously incorrect.

What's he supposed to say "If you lose the toss, you'll lose the game, so we won't even try" ?
He did stuff up in bizarre way at the Oval, no doubt, but he has to express a belief that the team can win regardless of the toss. The toss can give an advantage, but its not normally one a good team can't overcome against a lesser one.

What's he supposed to say "If you lose the toss, you'll lose the game, so we won't even try" ?
He did stuff up in bizarre way at the Oval, no doubt, but he has to express a belief that the team can win regardless of the toss. The toss can give an advantage, but its not normally one a good team can't overcome against a lesser one.

What he said is factually incorrect to anyone with even a remote knowledge of the game - to say he then has to say the complete opposite (the toss 100% determines the result) is a complete straw man argument.

This. The likes of WI and Bangladesh don't play less games because they want to. They are just not attractive oppositions to host given the revenue side of things, as opposed to the big sides.
To be fair, those two teams don't win many games, show much effort or do the little one percenter things often. Can't complain too much I should think. Whereas little old NZ gets the boxing Day test off the back of some consistency over the last decade. Good for them they deserve it. If Nigel llong had eyes that weren't painted on they may have won the first day night test ever played too

Tim seems to be the current whipping boy. Not sure why? If we held on to our catches and supported Smith a touch more with the bat during that test we would've won it easy. Cummins was all over them Tim did the right thing to insert them. They can't bat for toffee and they know it.

June/July 2020, we're going to Bangladesh!

Seems like it.

But CA will find a way to get out of it.

Reconsider your need to travel to Bangladesh due to a high threat of terrorist attack and an uncertain security situation.

There you go

To be fair, those two teams don't win many games, show much effort or do the little one percenter things often. Can't complain too much I should think. Whereas little old NZ gets the boxing Day test off the back of some consistency over the last decade. Good for them they deserve it. If Nigel llong had eyes that weren't painted on they may have won the first day night test ever played too
New Zealand like South Africa haven’t played a Boxing Day test in a long time because they want to play a Boxing Day game in their own country. Usually a test in South Africa and a 1 dayer or 20/20 in New Zealand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back