World Test Championship 2019-2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Barlos Crathwaite

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
New Zealand like South Africa haven’t played a Boxing Day test in a long time because they want to play a Boxing Day game in their own country. Usually a test in South Africa and a 1 dayer or 20/20 in New Zealand.
You'd think NZ would bite their own hand off to play a boxing Day test here. What are they going to make in gate sales playing Sri Lanka or something in Hamilton lol? A grand or two?

Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Seems like it.

But CA will find a way to get out of it.

There you go
Full credit to Sri Lanka. They toured Pakistan when no one would and their bus was attacked. Then there was the incident in New Zealand this year. Now they’re back in Pakistan.

We will look for any excuse to get out of touring Bangladesh

Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
You'd think NZ would bite their own hand off to play a boxing Day test here. What are they going to make in gate sales playing Sri Lanka or something in Hamilton lol? A grand or two?
They always get close to a full house no matter who they’re playing on Boxing Day and get good crowds for most one dayers . Boxing Day and New Year’s Day Would be one of the few games they would make money. It’s why they rarely play home tests but lots of one dayers. They lose money every time they host a test match

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Full credit to Sri Lanka. They toured Pakistan when no one would and their bus was attacked. Then there was the incident in New Zealand this year. Now they’re back in Pakistan.

We will look for any excuse to get out of touring Bangladesh
Incident for Sri Lanka?

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
That's like saying Australia would bite it's hand off to give up their own Boxing Day to play an ODI series in India.

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Baltimore Ravens
Thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to follow the standings and schedule.

Good to make some predictions early about how the championship will ultimately play out.

Australia Vs. New Zealand will be a crucial series impacting the final standings.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to follow the standings and schedule.

Good to make some predictions early about how the championship will ultimately play out.

Australia Vs. New Zealand will be a crucial series impacting the final standings.

Aus vs NZ
NZ vs India
Aus vs India
Aus vs SAF

Essentially decides who will probably face India at Lords.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
It will be interesting to see if the final is a timeless test, or at least a 7 day test, especially as it will be played at Lords, a match situation dictated by weather would be s**t, considering it has a 1.5-2 year build up.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I think it will be India v Australia. I struggle to see how NZ can win here

They don't necessarily have to win in Australia to make it.

Especially if Australia lose in South Africa.

Given the smaller series, it's easier for them to beat or draw against India at home than our longer series'.

Their matches are also more weighted for points, as they play 14 games vs our 19. The current English tour also doesn't count to the test championship either.

5 of their 14 (36%) matches are vs the West Indies and Pakistan at home.

12 of our 19 (63%) were/are against England, India and South Africa, with 8 of them being away games (42%).

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
i still think the whole WTC needs tweaking in many ways.

not sure on the perfect solution though.

but teams don't get to play everyone evenly or just everyone at all.

some series aren't counted eg. nz v eng.

teams such as zim/ire/afg have test status and aren't included.

the weighting of points per test match is an issue (variances between 2-5 test series)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
are we really only playing 3 Tests vs India next summer, because the media seemed to imply that Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth were all competing for 1 Test?

Four tests + 1 x home test against Afghanistan.

1575451446815.png

I think you will find it will be a battle between Brisbane and Perth for the final game, the other gets Afghanistan. Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide are locks for India.

The BCCI will 100% want Perth, as obviously no touring team has won in Brisbane for 3 decades and they managed to avoid it last time. CA will cave into it and then promote is as a commercial decision to go with Perth. CA can still promote the fact that the Gabba still starts the summer off and 5,000 people will rock up to Brisbane to watch Afghanistan and they will then claim they made the right decision.

Perth 100% deserves one of the Indian matches, however in a cricketing sense it should be the Gabba and the Gabba should be the first test of the summer if we are serious about knocking off the #1 test side in the world.

This is despite Australia winning the Perth test in their last tour and losing Adelaide and Melbourne.

India will try to avoid the Gabbatoir under any circumstances imo. They will want the same order as last time. Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne, Sydney.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I thought the original plans were to play Afghanistan at the WACA? And apparently a Perth Test is more favourable for Indian tv viewers, especially if it's a D/N Test.

Why would we play at the WACA?

Are saying you think Perth will get two test matches?

By 2020 we won't have played a test at Bellerive in 4 years, despite the redevelopment there, since we lost to South Africa there. We beat the WI there before that and lost the 3rd last match to NZ in Warner's second game when he made his maiden ton. I think CA is a bit fearful of our performances there under the moving ball.

Manuka got the match last year against Sri Lanka which was an absolute road and definitely a mistake.

I can't see either Perth or Brisbane not getting Afghanistan, but if it has to be anywhere else, it should be Bellerive, which would be a fair baptism of fire for poor old Afghanistan.

Bellerive should be the top of the list for the smaller touring nations, even Pakistan next time.

Given that the following summer is the Ashes, it's likely to be a good 6-7+ years stretch for test matches in Tassie if not next summer.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Four tests + 1 x home test against Afghanistan.

View attachment 789222

I think you will find it will be a battle between Brisbane and Perth for the final game, the other gets Afghanistan. Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide are locks for India.

The BCCI will 100% want Perth, as obviously no touring team has won in Brisbane for 3 decades and they managed to avoid it last time. CA will cave into it and then promote is as a commercial decision to go with Perth. CA can still promote the fact that the Gabba still starts the summer off and 5,000 people will rock up to Brisbane to watch Afghanistan and they will then claim they made the right decision.

Perth 100% deserves one of the Indian matches, however in a cricketing sense it should be the Gabba and the Gabba should be the first test of the summer if we are serious about knocking off the #1 test side in the world.

This is despite Australia winning the Perth test in their last tour and losing Adelaide and Melbourne.

India will try to avoid the Gabbatoir under any circumstances imo. They will want the same order as last time. Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne, Sydney.

iirc they’re one of only a couple of sides to even draw there in the last 30 years- Ganguly helped them walk away unscathed in 2003 (albeit with no McGrath or Warne??). They have a good attack, I’d love to just see them
back themselves

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why would we play at the WACA?

Are saying you think Perth will get two test matches?

By 2020 we won't have played a test at Bellerive in 4 years, despite the redevelopment there, since we lost to South Africa there. We beat the WI there before that and lost the 3rd last match to NZ in Warner's second game when he made his maiden ton. I think CA is a bit fearful of our performances there under the moving ball.

Manuka got the match last year against Sri Lanka which was an absolute road and definitely a mistake.

I can't see either Perth or Brisbane not getting Afghanistan, but if it has to be anywhere else, it should be Bellerive, which would be a fair baptism of fire for poor old Afghanistan.

Bellerive should be the top of the list for the smaller touring nations, even Pakistan next time.

Given that the following summer is the Ashes, it's likely to be a good 6-7+ years stretch for test matches in Tassie if not next summer.
I think its pretty clear that Tassie and Canberra will never host a Test again (well, not for many years) or CA would have made sure there were six Tests at some point in the FTP.
As for next summer, its almost certain Brisbane will get Afghanistan.

There was talk initially that small Tests could continue at the WACA, when the new stadium would be expensive to staff and empty. I doubt that would eventuate, even if Afghanistan was to be scheduled for Perth. I assume the public now expect the new stadium's amenities.

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why do Australian fans want to face India at the Gabba rather than the new stadium at Perth. I get that Australia have a monstrous record at Brisbane, but I can't remember the last time when the Gabba lived up to its reputation of being a fast and bouncy track. All I remember from the past few seasons are flat wickets with a bit of bounce. Pakistan almost chased 500 in their second innings in 2016 and if my memory serves me right, I remember the wicket in the last Ashes in Australia having a lot of turn for the spinners. And the recently concluded match vs Pakistan was an absolute road as well.

Australia still win anyway not because of the wicket but in spite of it. They have pacers who can still be effective in those flat conditions while probably no other country (apart from probably India) can boast of those skills. Whereas the match at Perth vs India had a super spicy wicket that had a lot in it for pacers and I remember a lot of batsmen from both sides getting hit on the head and on the fingers (still remember Finch's badly bruised finger injury). I can understand why Australia would want to start of the series at the Gabbatoir but I think if India win the toss and the wicket is the typical Gabba wicket of late, I can see India drawing the match at the least like they did in '03. I'm not sure about the Perth wicket though because it's a bit of a lottery and anything can happen on the day (as both sides have very good pace attacks) and I would think the toss would be very crucial there.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I think its pretty clear that Tassie and Canberra will never host a Test again (well, not for many years) or CA would have made sure there were six Tests at some point in the FTP.
As for next summer, its almost certain Brisbane will get Afghanistan.

There was talk initially that small Tests could continue at the WACA, when the new stadium would be expensive to staff and empty. I doubt that would eventuate, even if Afghanistan was to be scheduled for Perth. I assume the public now expect the new stadium's amenities.

It's a shame the GABBA is used during footy season,

I've always thought in a revamped top end tour the Gabba could almost headline a winter tour and be removed from the summer rotation in lieu of Hobart.

A top end rotation of GABBA, Cairns and Darwin/Alice Springs.

Play the likes of Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, West Indies, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan and Ireland in 1 & 2 match winter tours until they get strong enough to demand a summer tour. Keep the summer tours for England, India, NZ and South Africa.

Like we did with Bangladesh and Sri Lanka in 2003 & 2004.

It keeps the costs down with massive stadiums and low drawing opponents, can also add to the TV rights and corporate sponsorships as additional home games and let us fill out winters which we usually do with crappy overseas ODI tours most of the time.

Last edited:
May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can someone explain to me why the New Zealand/England series just completed isn't included in the WTC? Seems rather odd, and not that helpful to NZ (and conversely, helpful to England).
Each nation has to have the same number of series included in WTC but can have series outside it. Three home and three away are included.
I'm guessing some nations didn't want to commit to four home and four away in the time frame because Tests don't bring in the money. Sri Lanka, as one example, don't seem to have any Tests outside the WTC against a WTC nation (they are supposed to play Zimbabwe next month according to the FTP - whether that goes ahead is another question).

NZ's three home series in the WTC are against India, Pakistan, West Indies.
England's away series are India, South Africa, Sri Lanka

Last edited:
Back