deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
They have the option of playing into a 6th day to make up for lost time so I think a result other than a draw is still possible, a draw most likely though.

Oh, I wasn't aware of the 6th day option, well that changes possibilities - and as much as I understand the Kiwi's plodding along at under 2 runs/over I think if they get to 100 without loss it maybe time to go up a gear or two...?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Underwhelming build up to what should have been one of the biggest events in Test history. Barely even knew it was coming this weekend until seen adds on Kayo after watching the footy.
First time the ICC have a championship for Test cricket and they * it up on a stadium that not even one of main ones in England. Should have been at Lord's and a Test championship should be an event every four years to feel special like the Olympics for cricketers around the world where many of them come to for a month or more to be part of it. This just feels like any ordinary Test and has another one going on in West Indies in same period. Should be top 8 Test nations and play a round robin in two pools of four each and then top two from each pool move onto semi-finals and then a big Grand Final at the end of a 7 or 8 week period. That is a Test championship and play it at Lord's...

I remember as a kid watching Centenary Test from Lord's in middle of night and had massive special feel about it. This just lacks anything like what it should have been. Change the format FFS to give it the special feel it should be.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
The Indians are getting desperate for a wicket now, they've had a few close calls but still nothing to show for it.

Underwhelming build up to what should have been one of the biggest events in Test history. Barely even knew it was coming this weekend until seen adds on Kayo after watching the footy.
First time the ICC have a championship for Test cricket and they fu** it up on a stadium that not even one of main ones in England. Should have been at Lord's and a Test championship should be an event every four years to feel special like the Olympics for cricketers around the world where many of them come to for a month or more to be part of it. This just feels like any ordinary Test and has another one going on in West Indies in same period. Should be top 8 Test nations and play a round robin in two pools of four each and then top two from each pool move onto semi-finals and then a big Grand Final at the end of a 7 or 8 week period. That is a Test championship and play it at Lord's...

I remember as a kid watching Centenary Test from Lord's in middle of night and had massive special feel about it. This just lacks anything like what it should have been. Change the format FFS to give it the special feel it should be.

Yeah it loses that special feel by playing this final in Southampton rather than Lord's. the restricted crowd size and poor weather hasn't helped either.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
The Indians are getting desperate for a wicket now, they've had a few close calls but still nothing to show for it.

Yeah it loses that special feel by playing this final in Southampton rather than Lord's. the restricted crowd size and poor weather hasn't helped either.
But even if it was not Co-Vid timing it would still lack something in comparison to what it should be. A championship that has many Test nations there in same place every four years and last two teams standing to be made to feel of the momentum build up from matches won in previous Tests against the other nations eliminated one by one. This format just is not what Test cricket deserves. It should be every four years and dedicated to all top 8 Test nations at the event until their teams are defeated in semi-finals and the last two left standing. This is a lame format for what it should be.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Sadly only a few overs remaining by the looks of the approaching clouds.
NZ plodding away and at this rate they will be about par with India at tea tomorrow, then the fun starts...

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
That was a very good day for New Zealand, dominated the day really and came back very well from India being in a relatively strong position 24 hours ago.

Goes without saying, and it gets said repeatedly, but with Williamson and Taylor at the crease the first half hour tonight is crucial.

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
No surprise that all Jamieson's wickets have been either in his home conditions or in England. Not sure he'd be anywhere near as effective.. say on flat, slow sub cont decks. The way the man bowled yesterday reminded me of Starc at his best. Like him the tall Kiwi is unpredictable and that can be a major weapon.. such as his occasional ripper of an in swinger.

Last edited:

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BCS in a comfortable position at stumps. Can see why their quicks made life difficult for the Indians as they are all comfortable in swinging conditions.. the Indian quicks not so.. more seamers. So where from here.. rain again predicted tomorrow.. but a reserve day to come. The game will need a sporting declaration if there is to be a result.

Last edited:

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
First time the ICC have a championship for Test cricket and they fu** it up on a stadium that not even one of main ones in England. Should have been at Lord's and a Test championship should be an event every four years to feel special like the Olympics for cricketers around the world where many of them come to for a month or more to be part of it. This just feels like any ordinary Test and has another one going on in West Indies in same period. Should be top 8 Test nations and play a round robin in two pools of four each and then top two from each pool move onto semi-finals and then a big Grand Final at the end of a 7 or 8 week period. That is a Test championship and play it at Lord's...

Agree 100%. This is a prime example of ICC ho hum respect for Test cricket. Had this been white ball they have promoted it from the rooftops. I agree it shud have been at Lords not so every four years tho.. two years is fine. It must be heavily publicized with a carnival feel about it.. with playoffs for minor placings and a best of three final. I recall the Aussie Centenary Test vividly but not so the England leg three years later.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
But even if it was not Co-Vid timing it would still lack something in comparison to what it should be. A championship that has many Test nations there in same place every four years and last two teams standing to be made to feel of the momentum build up from matches won in previous Tests against the other nations eliminated one by one. This format just is not what Test cricket deserves. It should be every four years and dedicated to all top 8 Test nations at the event until their teams are defeated in semi-finals and the last two left standing. This is a lame format for what it should be.
Yeah, pretty underwhelming stuff. I would have liked to have seen a knockout comp between the top 8 sides. I believe it's possible to hold a Test championship & have it done & dusted in just over a month.

Looks like tomorrow is going to be another washout. That leaves two days for a result. If the Kiwis can get to a 150 run lead with a day to play they might back themselves to roll India in a second innings. The Williamson/Taylor partnership is a huge one - if they can get them to parity with India it's game on.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
The ICC have done all they can to promote this. They want this to succeed and they also want a more even format for it. It is the national boards who want to pick and choose who they play (i.e. India/England/Aus want to constantly play each other) that stops it being the format that we know would be fairer and more prestigious.

You guys are blaming the wrong people.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Draw the most likely outcome here unfortunately, hopefully the Kiwis get a 150 run lead and declare to chase a win. Would love to see an outcome, as the first WTC final being a washout doesn't have the outcome it deserves.

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Match is really well poised, will be an absolute shame if weather robs us of a result. I gotta say NZ look really strong, fantastic bowling attack, and with Conway added, their batting is strong too.

Here’s hoping the rain can piss off and we can get a result.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

5F83F507-C291-42EC-8626-BAE049B2396B.jpeg

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
fu** that is a washout, you need time for the outfield to dry when the rain stops, and you know how bad the officials are with getting play started again after rain delays.

Just rotten luck with this match.

Yes it’s very unfortunate if so, something of this stature really deserves an outcome. And the cricket itself has been excellent when they’ve played.

10 times out of 10 I prefer a low scoring game with plenty in it for the bowlers, rather than a flat road where a team wins the toss, bats first and piles on 400+ (seen plenty of them over the years).

The quality of batting and bowling on both sides has been exceptional, and it seems there’s a genuine respect between the two teams. Gripping stuff and great to watch. Hope the forecast is as reliable as Melbourne’s.

Back