World Test Championship Final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Care factor for this game in England today will be slightly lower than zero with the footer match at Wembley against Scotland being on later on today. I hope the Scots put the Sassenachs to the sword.
lol they won't. We don't live in the 80's anymore.

I doubt the care factor for this would have been that high in England regardless since they're not in it.

Caught out by this starting (or not starting). Only two tests for England v NZ? That's outrageous.
You're not exactly Mr. Current Affairs, are you?

2 test series is pretty standard nowadays. It was basically a warm-up series too. I think New Zealand are coming back for a tour to England next year as well.

England is playing a 5 match series against India in 7 weeks' time. No one is playing 8 tests in one summer.

I could understand two test series against WI, Pakistan, Bangladesh, even SA now days but England v NZ at the moment is a premium match up. India and NZ in the same summer is a bad fixture clash.
The only reason the series even happened was because New Zealand got into the WTC final. They are doing a proper tour of England next year (or the next) as part of the next WTC. New Zealand may have a good team right now by they are still not a premium match up as far as the money men are concerned.

In fact, it's been a while since these two teams played a 3 match test series against each other.

Last edited:
I get that this match was shifted from Lord's to the Rose Bowl because it is easier to secure a bio-bubble with a hotel attached to the ground, but it really does take a bit of shine off the spectacle.

From memory there's a bloody hotel directly across the road from the Mound Stand at Lord's on St John's Wood Road!

I get that this match was shifted from Lord's to the Rose Bowl because it is easier to secure a bio-bubble with a hotel attached to the ground, but it really does take a bit of shine off the spectacle.

From memory there's a bloody hotel directly across the road from the Mound Stand at Lord's on St John's Wood Road!
They played games at Lords and Edgbaston just in the last series. I don't know why they decided to move it to Southampton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t think of anything more predictable than this rain.

In equally rubbish news, the footy is shithouse.

They played games at Lords and Edgbaston just in the last series. I don't know why they decided to move it to Southampton.
The ICC shifted the game back in March when the UK was getting absolutely battered by coronavirus deaths, presumably to ensure it could go ahead within a bio-secure bubble.

Agree that it makes no sense when the ECB saw no reason to not play test matches at Lord's and Edgbaston in front of crowds.

The cynic in me wonders if it’s because Southhampton seems to take more turn.
It doesn't really though. It's not a good ground for spin at all. Ashwin & Jadeja didn't do much when they played on it last time.

The BCCI really wanted to throw their weight around they would have never let the final be held in England in the first place. They wanted the team that finished top of the table to host the final from memory

Last edited:
Won't lie, the Cats and Dogs game was so good I'm almost happy tonight was a bust for this (non-AFL fans are so confused right now)

I kinda hope it's a washout, would be pretty funny and apt, playing in England and all that

No idea how this notion of Southampton offering more turn came into being.

Taunton, Edgbaston and probably Oval all offer more turn.

I disagree. Nothing would be more emblematic of cricket than cricket, stuck in a fast paced world filled with short and packed bursts of entertainment, desperately trying to survive amongst all other sports and in a bid to create some context to its age old game that stretches for five days, organises an unprecedented grand final event that stretches for six days just for a safety net, and still ends up with no result.

ya can't have 2 winners - it's absurd (unless it's a genuine TIE).

How would you decide the winner in case of a draw?

not sure there's a perfect solution to be honest.

does the team on top reap the rewards ?
but then they mind go in with mindset of drawing the game eg. bat first pile on 700 etc
or they might cling on to a draw 9 down late on the 5th day with still 200+ to get and really lost the match psychologically.

surely someone's got a solution.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back