World Test Championship Final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree 100%. This is a prime example of ICC ho hum respect for Test cricket. Had this been white ball they have promoted it from the rooftops. I agree it shud have been at Lords not so every four years tho.. two years is fine. It must be heavily publicized with a carnival feel about it.. with playoffs for minor placings and a best of three final. I recall the Aussie Centenary Test vividly but not so the England leg three years later.
The Aussie one at MCG was before my time but I know it was huge at time what what reported about it.
The Centenary one in England was at Lord's and only about a year after World Series Cricket Australian players went back to Test cricket. It was heavily round affected but still had a big feel, in fact so many rain delays meant got to hear from so many legends of cricket there at time in interviews in real time on tv. Was obviously in middle of night but one of my first years of watching Test cricket. Due to fact it was heavily rain affected it probably less remembered than MCG one a few years earlier and was a draw as a result. But was very memorable for the Kim Hughes batting in both innings. Some of most enjoyable Test batting I have ever seen and remember it to this day. It just had a much bigger feel to it than current Test going on at same time of our day. This one is not even on free to air tv. That one was on the ABC which was more first major taste of cricket away from channel nine as most of cricket before that I had watched the World Series Cricket summers prior to it on channel nine and then also the first summer the Cricket Board and WSC united for the end of 1979 summer here on channel nine.

India are still well in this. The Kiwi middle/lower order was a bit fragile in the England series and Henry Nicholls can't play off-spin. If they can break the Williamson/Taylor partnership early there's a good chance of rolling NZ for under their total.

India are still well in this. The Kiwi middle/lower order was a bit fragile in the England series and Henry Nicholls can't play off-spin. If they can break the Williamson/Taylor partnership early there's a good chance of rolling NZ for under their total.
Even if they did bowl out New Zealand cheaply on the 5th day (presuming tonight is washed out) they are not going to have enough sessions to set a reasonable total to then bowl New Zealand out again in a short time. They are only a bit over 100 runs in the lead. Their bowlers really didn't get that much out of the conditions last night (Bumrah was shockingly bad) so it's hard to see them bowling out New Zealand within under a day (basically twice).

India would be pretty dumb not to play for the draw after last night's batting collapse. Then again they are led by Kohli so.....

Posted this elsewhere, but this really could have been something special had they made it a timeless Test.

I understand there are issues with broadcasters etc. but this is a very infrequent event that should have been made into something memorable.

Looking like the punters will be denied another days play. This game is now drowning in dreadful summer weather. 13c today.. so you better wrap up warm.

Last edited:
but this is a very infrequent event that should have been made into something memorable.
We all agree with this. Pity the ICC was not with us. W've been better had it been at Lords and with the MCC running the show.. if possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s the temperature too that’s the issue along with the rain. Even if it stops raining, a max temperature of 13 degrees is hardly conducive for the outfield to dry up to a sufficient level in order to play. Just not looking promising at all unfortunately.

As frustrating as it is to watch, I also feel for the players. They’ve worked incredibly hard over a long period of time to get there, and you’ve got guys on both sides (Pujara etc) who don’t play ODI/T20 cricket. This is their World Cup final in more ways than one.

An interesting concept for this game would be to play it over 450 overs (90 overs times 5 days). It means if rain washes out 3 days, we still get the same amount of play, but it's also not a timeless test.

This was mean't to be a centrepiece for international cricket but it's been more like a disaster. Not sure why this had to be played in England anyway, in my opinion the conditions are way more favourable to NZ. South Africa, Australia or even the West Indies would have been more neutral and fairer surfaces for both sides.

A maximum of 196 overs still available (depending on the weather of course).

In some ways, that sounds like enough to get a result on a difficult pitch. But a draw more likely.

As this a a cricket world championship there has to be only one winner not some lame sharing of the trophy. So the clueless ICC needs to think outside the box now that a second full day washout and time lost to bad playing conditions have crippled the WTC final. So, if a draw looks inevitable and the players agree the answer is simple.. postpone it for later in the summer.. say late July before the India series. They do say an English summer is between the last two weeks of July and first two weeks of August.
If this is too radical for archaic ICC thinking then extend the match until Thursday as no rain predicted over next three days in Southern England. Temps warming too.

Last edited:
You’d think the ICC could think on their feet and be flexible enough to allow for extra days on top of the reserve to ensure the final of their test championship could be a non rain affected result - but we all know that couldn’t possibly happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back