World Test Championship Final.

Remove this Banner Ad

As this a a cricket world championship there has to be only one winner not some lame sharing of the trophy. So the clueless ICC needs to think outside the box now that a second full day washout and time lost to bad playing conditions have crippled the WTC final. So, if a draw looks inevitable and the players agree the answer is simple.. postpone it for later in the summer.. say late July before the India series. They do say an English summer is between the last two weeks of July and first two weeks of August.
You’d think the ICC could think on their feet and be flexible enough to allow for extra days on top of the reserve to ensure the final of their test championship could be a non rain affected result - but we all know that couldn’t possibly happen.
Not sure I follow that logic. The fact it's the final of the Test Championship, rather than some impromptu game of backyard cricket, is the precise reason why new rules shouldn't be made up on the spot.

Not sure I follow that logic. The fact it's the final of the Test Championship, rather than some impromptu game of backyard cricket, is the precise reason why new rules shouldn't be made up on the spot.
Yeah, they haven't played a timeless test since before WWII let alone during this Championship but just for the main single final, they are going to dramatically change the concept of every match previously played in it. That just devalues the integrity of a concept that was really struggling for it already.

In the end, I doubt the TV people will go for it anyways.

I have a feeling a result is still possible here.

Best change is NZ making 350+ and rolling India on the last day...but can NZ get that 350+
Could very well happen. I was more thinking that if the bowlers can get the ball to hoop around some corners we could see some dramatic lollapses from both sides that has the potential to open the game right back up.

Could very well happen. I was more thinking that if the bowlers can get the ball to hoop around some corners we could see some dramatic lollapses from both sides that has the potential to open the game right back up.

If it was Lords wouldn't put it past it, but not sure this pitch will allow that. If I were NZ I'd want to bat for say 75 overs, get 220 odd in those overs, and then take a punt they can roll India for sub 150...it's not likely but it's possible.

A small problem for New Zealand is the 6th day is going to be sunny with not much overcast to speak of so bowling India all out on that day is going to be a bit harder.

Best chance for New Zealand is to roll the dice and come out of the blocks tonight with some intend and have a bowl at India in the last session. Even if they collapse it's extremely unlikely India set a reasonable total and then bowl them all out in less than a day tomorrow. There isn't enough time for India to win from here.

You'd think NZ is the only chance of winning from here but they will need to be more aggressive with the bat today than they were on Sunday to try to get a decent lead as quickly as possible and then get India in later this evening or at least early tomorrow.

It won't be easy to bowl India out again as they will likely be batting for a draw and won't be taking too many risks.

Not quite the fine day forecast for Southampton. The match needs quick wickets.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You jinxed it mate!
Sorry about that. Not much of a farewell for BJ Watling with all this sitting in a dressing room plus talk of extending, postponing and even calling it off early. The keeper/batsman has been a quiet achiever for the Black Caps with currently 3789 runs at a respectable, wait for it, @37.89 from his 74 Tests.

Last edited:
Was watching the back page before this and they mentioned NZ has won 1 of their last 43 matches against Australia which is an extraordinary stat.

We all know what happened last time NZ toured Australia but could they possibly beat Australia at home? Last time they played there was Feb 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back