World Test Championship Final.

Remove this Banner Ad

As an Australian cricket fan, it's a bit of a mind-* seeing reviews preserved, rather than used for lucky dip appeals any time the ball hits the pad and the bowling side are desperate.

Negative cricket from India here.

Why send out Pujara when you have Pant or Kohli who can bat with Sharma and potentially set up a lead?

I don't think India have any intention of trying to win now, even Rohit is playing defensively by his standards.

No shot offered from Rohit and he's gone, great bowling from Southee.

If NZ can get Kohli or Pujara before stumps they will be right in the box seat.

Concur - a little surprised with only a few overs left in the day that Kohli didn't send in a night watchman...?

Another very good day for New Zealand, in the respect that they’ve almost certainly taken an Indian win out of the equation.

An early wicket or two in the opening half hour or so really piles the pressure onto India. Not only do India need to bat time, but also keep the score ticking over which is easier said than done on this pitch.

You know what else is bloody annoying?

Kayo buffering. Endlessly. The number of times I've had to fast forward 15 to get it back to live in the past hour is hideous.
Don't ask me why this works but if you watch it on the Fox Cricket live channel that's about half way down the Kayo home screen as opposed to the specific World Test Championship event it seems to stop the buffering. Works for footy too.

Looks like it will be a draw, but 2-3 wickets in the first session makes things interesting. Shame there isn't another day of play in there to obtain a result.

We all agree with that.. but this is the ICC.. so it aint gonna happen.

Some movement at the station overnite with match now in an intriguing position which may finish with some excitement for the fans. My money is still on the Black Caps.
I don't agree with that. I would have been happy with more reserve days to ensure 450 overs were bowled but not timeless.

I don't agree with that. I would have been happy with more reserve days to ensure 450 overs were bowled but not timeless.
As it is only 221 overs have been bowled, so if we were doing that, we'd still have minimum another two and a half days left. Would have loved to see it but alas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gonna need to see some T20-esque batting tonight if a result is gonna happen.

This is a big double standard on my part and I accept that but I think fast bowlers should be given a little more wriggle room to be dick heads
Besides, Ishant has been sending batsmen off for as long as I can remember!
Ishant also cops it a lot for doing that.

I suppose it goes back to the point you made about the sandpaper incident PhatBoy in that if you're going to act as if you hold yourself to a higher standard then when you transgress you are going to cop more.

When we look at Southee he actually has a fairly long rap sheet over an extended period of time in relation to sledging, send-offs, throwing the ball at batsman, blowing up at umpires etc but it doesn't fit the NZ = good, Aus, Ind, Eng = bad narrative that the cricket community has built so it seems to be ignored.

That's not even a dig at Southee really, whatever gets him to perform at his best and as I've said previously I've always really liked him it's more of a "hey, don't you guys say you never do that?".

Last edited:
Ishant also cops it a lot for doing that.

I suppose it goes back to the point you made about the sandpaper incident PhatBoy in that if you're going to act as if you hold yourself to a higher standard than when you transgress you are going to cop more.

When we look at Southee he actually has a fairly long rap sheet over an extended period of time in relation to sledging, send-offs, throwing the ball at batsman, blowing up at umpires etc but it doesn't fit the NZ = good, Aus, Ind, Eng = bad narrative that the cricket community has built so it seems to be ignored.

That's not even a dig at Southee really, whatever gets him to perform at his best and as I've said previously I've always really liked him it's more of a "hey, don't you guys say you never do that?".

That’s all pretty fair, and to be honest I’ve probably literally not noticed it as much with southee because he has a fairly happy/always smiling persona whereas say Wagner has that surly disposition about him so I tend to notice it more with him when he does say something

I like some of the points thrown around in this article.

Mark Taylor suggests that the timeless Test format should be considered for the WTC final, with a cap of 120 overs per innings for each team.

Ian Chappell suggests the tournament should have both semis as well as the final. Also believes that an 8-team round robin format could see a completed tournament take place in just 65 days.

I like some of the points thrown around in this article.

Mark Taylor suggests that the timeless Test format should be considered for the WTC final, with a cap of 120 overs per innings for each team.

Ian Chappell suggests the tournament should have both semis as well as the final. Also believes that an 8-team round robin format could see a completed tournament take place in just 65 days.
It might have been updated, but it now says Taylor suggested a 150 over limit. Either way, I think limiting the overs per innings isn't the way to go. And Chappell's suggestions are ridiculous, but that's his bag, so whatever.

Just make it whatever the most overs in a 5 day test should be (450, right?) and then play until 450 overs have been completed. Easy.

predicting that Southee, Wagner and Jamieson will make this more or less go down to the wire (as far as tests go anyway)

especially Jamieson, he is like the giant in kid's stories in the form of a cricketer

It might have been updated, but it now says Taylor suggested a 150 over limit. Either way, I think limiting the overs per innings isn't the way to go. And Chappell's suggestions are ridiculous, but that's his bag, so whatever.

Just make it whatever the most overs in a 5 day test should be (450, right?) and then play until 450 overs have been completed. Easy.

taylor's suggestion - meh - it's changing the way we play the game a team could get skittled for 100 in their first innings, but made to declare at say 3/450 in their second innings coz their allotted overs are are up etc etc

chappell's suggestion - meh - i doubt the world is gonna stop for 20/20 cricket here there and everywhere etc - 65 days what the ! we play matches over the 2 years to get to the pointy end of this.

the 450 overs of play i like - most games get a result within the full 450 overs (surely this won't take more than 8 days if bad weather is about).

better still, play this final under a roof !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back