World Test Championship Final.

Remove this Banner Ad

if you live by the Nice you die by the Nice

as an aside i don't really know about the whole nice guys finish last thing when it comes to sport. i mean look at someone like Kawhi Leonard. super quiet, shy, seems humble, level-headed, barely gets emotional, but he is an absolute MONSTER in the playoffs

if you live by the Nice you die by the Nice

as an aside i don't really know about the whole nice guys finish last thing when it comes to sport. i mean look at someone like Kawhi Leonard. super quiet, shy, seems humble, level-headed, barely gets emotional, but he is an absolute MONSTER in the playoffs
Same sport, Michael Jordan was a huge arsehole. It's not always the case but you usually have to have a very competitive mindset which will turn some people off for you to be the best.

Last edited:
New Zealand are the ones who pushed this nice guy narrative very hard so you can't blame anyone else but yourselves on this one. I still remember how obnoxious it was during the 2015 WC.
I remember Brad Hadin saying during that WC that he didn't like coming to NZ as everyone was nice to him, and he didn't like that. Very strange perspective but each to their own.

There is no way NZ are "pushing" a narrative on anyone. Journalists ask questions, they answer truthfully. That's it. I'm sure most of the team would be delighted to never have to speak to the journalists.

Same sport, Michael Jordan was a huge arsehole. It's not always the case but you usually have to have a very competitive mindset which will turn some people off you to be the best.
the conclusion of the book Born to Run about ultra-marathoners was that it was actually intangible stuff (for example compassion) that made the best runners, it's interesting

My point is just that it isn't completely necessary for someone to be a jerk or have white line fever to be good at sport (maybe some sports more than others but)

the conclusion of the book Born to Run about ultra-marathoners was that it was actually intangible stuff (for example compassion) that made the best runners, it's interesting

My point is just that it isn't completely necessary for someone to be a jerk or have white line fever to be good at sport (maybe some sports more than others but)
I think it depends on the individual. Some players need that edge to compete. Other great players seem to be able to play hard, but also not be jerks. Federer comes to mind (although he was apparently a brat early on).

I remember Brad Hadin saying during that WC that he didn't like coming to NZ as everyone was nice to him, and he didn't like that. Very strange perspective but each to their own.

There is no way NZ are "pushing" a narrative on anyone. Journalists ask questions, they answer truthfully. That's it. I'm sure most of the team would be delighted to never have to speak to the journalists.
Brendon McCullum pushed that nice guy narrative SUPER hard. There was a period he would never shut up about sledging. It was hardly some journalist narrative.

Brendon McCullum pushed that nice guy narrative SUPER hard. There was a period he would never shut up about sledging. It was hardly some journalist narrative.

He pushed it some more in his biography as well.

BMac was a bit of a born-again type with the nice guy stuff. Genuine though I think.

Also if I was cynical I'd say it was so he didn't have to talk about other things.

I thought Doull's "sometimes, just sometimes, nice guys do finish first" during the winning moment was a bit cheesy. Ian Smith would've raised the roof lol if he had been commentating the moment.

I had read of this. And we all know what happened last time Pakistan played India in an ICC final? (Indians having nightmares about Bumrah no-balls to Fakhar Zaman, Hafeez sixes and Amir on fire)

But seriously I don't think I could take much more losing to India in big games so no thanks...

I'm not kidding. Pakistan have very high chances of making the final provided they don't mess up. Their most difficult away tour is probably the tour of the Caribbean this cycle.

I do think Pakistan would have a very good chance of winning the final if it's scheduled in England. But in the subcontinent, India just has too much match winners in its team.

I think the whole nice guys thing is also just commentators not wanting to get too much into the power of the Big 3 in cricket.
So they kinda act like it doesn't exist and then are like "the Kiwi's are nice, the Pakistanis are so likeable blahblah"
when the actual issue is, F you Big 3, stop hogging the resources in cricket.
Make it more fair for the rest of the world and their growth and improvement. I'm not v articulate rn but Kimber did a video about this issue recently and i've been thinking about it
Which is also why...thank fk the Kiwi's won

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess you won't have a problem with 2 or even 1 test match series being a big part of the next WTC edition? If it's good enough for the final then it should be good enough for the rest of the competition surely.
I reckon it could work quite well if they divorced the concept from the tour calendar completely. Have every team play every other team in one test match at home and one away.

Probably won't happen though as there is not the culture in international cricket of fly in/fly out fixtures (as opposed to international soccer). There is probably a good reason for that in that not being acclimatised to the home conditions in a test match is a massive disadvantage.

Whatever happens, they need to standardise what represents a WTC series. Go with Mark Taylor's idea, make it 3 tests. Boards can extend series longer than that if they want, but only three tests count for WTC.

Happy for NZ to win. I'm glad India showed positive intent to score runs albeit lead to our collapse. The WTC Final deserved a winner rather than a draw.

IMO India can't play both Jadeja and Ashwin v England, they need to pick one of them. I would select Ashwin for the first 2 tests and if he's bowling well then continue with him otherwise replace him with Jadeja. Ashwin is our frontline spinner and if we're playing only 1 spinner then I'd rather it be Ashwin getting first crack.

Ideally would like one of the batsmen to bowl some part time spin or even medium pace (ala ganguly). Our tail ******* sucks, we have 3/4(including Siraj) no.11 batsmen. It's shocking and places a lot of pressure on our batsmen to score runs.

I'm unsure if Thakur is in the squad but he might be a smokey for the 4th seamer option as he can also bat a little.

I do feel a bit sorry for India in that they really did earn the right to host the final if we're being serious. But on the other hand given their domestic T20 league is a big reason we can't have a series for the final, fu** them.
Yeah, I think one of the changes of this competition should be a home final to the team that finishes top.

To prevent them just laying out a road and turning the match into an international version of the Sheffield Shield final, I would say a drawn match results in a shared title.

EDIT: Reading the comments about playing three-match series is interesting. Forgetting the packed cricket calendar for a moment, but I can see a few issues here. A one-off test for the WTC you can get neutrals and ex-pats on board with and make a good atmosphere, but I'm not sure that's going to be so easy with a 3-test series. So if you're playing in the top placed teams home country, if they win the first test, would they then just prep out roads for the last two resulting in dull draws? It certainly feels like it could go down that path and really undermine the series.

I liked the tournament and the concept, but there's still a fair few things to think about in terms of the tournament structure and the final. Ultimately it's a tough one because there's so many ways to slice it that you'll always have plenty against whatever format they opt for.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think one of the changes of this competition should be a home final to the team that finishes top.

To prevent them just laying out a road and turning the match into an international version of the Sheffield Shield final, I would say a drawn match results in a shared title.

EDIT: Reading the comments about playing three-match series is interesting. Forgetting the packed cricket calendar for a moment, but I can see a few issues here. A one-off test for the WTC you can get neutrals and ex-pats on board with and make a good atmosphere, but I'm not sure that's going to be so easy with a 3-test series. So if you're playing in the top placed teams home country, if they win the first test, would they then just prep out roads for the last two resulting in dull draws? It certainly feels like it could go down that path and really undermine the series.
I'd think they'd still be ICC prepared pitches like it was here and at all ICC event finals.

I am using the nudge/wink smilie mate. Having a loan of you. Green will find his mojo soon. I see a lot of Jamieson in the West Aussie.. both quickish, accurate and are tall timber so get steepling bounce from a good length. In fact I'd prefer to see Green bowl similar to the Kiwi. Keep the batsman guessing which delivery is coming next.

True, but Green needs to work on moving the ball. He seemed pretty gun barrel straight against the Indians

Jamiesons point of difference is he gets bounce, but he's also got a cracker of a big booming inswinger

True, but Green needs to work on moving the ball. He seemed pretty gun barrel straight against the Indians
Everyone was gun barrel on our decks. Put Green on that Hampshire Bowl track and I am betting he'd move it and make the batsmen just as uncomfortable as did Jamieson. We have to remember that Green was coming back from a two year back injury against India. He was below underdone.

Last edited:
I want the CA to pull its finger out and schedule our Baggy Greens to play a ¾ match series on Kiwi home soil sooner rather than later. For too long Aussie cricket has ignored our Black Cap cousins. Since the turn of the Millenium our two teams have met a piddling 9 times. There were no series between us from 2004-08 and only five since. We shud be playing reciprocal series at least every two years..
In these Covid times it seems the obvious move. No quarantine required between NZ and Aus at present and NZ pretty strong should make for some good games.

Jamiesons point of difference is he gets bounce, but he's also got a cracker of a big booming inswinger
Green also gets steepling bounce but the in swinger that Jamieson has mastered is a gun weapon for him. Green looks to be more a seamer.. is he able to master swing too. Only time will tell. Remember Green is only 22 Jamieson is 27 so far more first class experience. We have to not expect too much from the massively talented West Aussie too soon.

Last edited:
I want the CA to pull its finger out and schedule our Baggy Greens to play a ¾ match series on Kiwi home soil sooner rather than later. For too long Aussie cricket has ignored our Black Cap cousins. Since the turn of the Millenium our two teams have met a piddling 9 times. There were no series between us from 2004-08 and only five since. We shud be playing reciprocal series at least every two years..

Umm not really all CA fault NZ cricket board has put t20 and ODI ahead of test's between the countries in the past....due to the ODI World cups and t20 world cups

I do agree it would be nice to play more test cricket against NZ (Australia has a fantastic test record against the kiwis) but we have to also consider other test nations as well......Like when was the last time we played the Windies in test cricket ?? in Australia

I would love more test cricket against all countries it just seems like its always India and england ....I understand they are the money makers but I would be nice to see the Aussies play against other test nations

They won't be touring New Zealand until at least early 2024 since we are not playing each other in the next WTC cycle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back