World Vision scam

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone else watching Foreign Correspondent on ABC TV now?

Ethiopia - The Endless Famine
Reporter: Andrew Geoghegan

In Ethiopia an estimated eight million people need food aid to survive as yet another famine sweeps the country.

In order to put a human face on this tragedy Africa Correspondent Andrew Geoghegan travels to Ethiopia to meet 14-year-old Tsayhnesh Degalo. He's sponsored her for most of the past decade.

Fortunately Geoghegan finds that Tsayhnesh Degalo and her family are surviving better than many. Even so he's surprised to discover virtually none of the money he donates goes directly to the family.

http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/

This is becoming news again? I thought everyone knew by now that World Vision are scam artists. If you want to sponser a child there are plenty of better organisations out there.

This is becoming news again? I thought everyone knew by now that World Vision are scam artists. If you want to sponser a child there are plenty of better organisations out there.

I have sponsored a child in Malawi for years now through World Vision.

I have been aware the whole time that the money is spent within the community that the child lives in and is in many ways a sponsorship of a local programme that will benefit everybody in it, including the child and his family.

His writing has improved and his pictures are always lovely.

I am not about to stop the sponsorship.

I watched Foreign Correspondent. I have never had much trust for World Vision. What I found troubling was the fact that they were building those towers with wood.

They give birth to too many children in African nations. No wonder they're all starving.

Has anyone seen the new stand things they have at shopping centers now - big screens with faces of the kids, brand new desks etc, I don't know what was wrong with the old system of a kids face on a card, but hey, seems like all that sponsorship money is going to good use :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you said that there are too many now, and like any other pest, they should be culled.

The world is certainly overpopulated. I would certainly support culling some of our population. Australian society could be dramatically improved by getting rid of the bottom 5 percent. As for African nations, we should just remove aid. Let them sort themselves out and there will be a natural cull.

Africa gives nothing to the world - except for AIDS

Something the article doesn't mention is that our forebears went into Africa and ripped the bejesus out of it - colonised it, enslaved the inhabitants, took away all the natural resources etc.

Now we've ****ed off, but we still rip off the oil and the precious metals and give AK47s in return. We preach democracy but deal with dictators. We don't just give aid - we 'loan' money through the world bank and then demand that Africa imports our products - often stuff like sugar and cocoa which has been grown and processed there and repackaged in he West. We've even started buying up African state water and electricity companies to try and squeeze out more profit - google 'ACTIS' for more information.

I agree that giving aid isn't a solution. But Myers 'let them die' attitude isn't acceptable to a lot of decent folk. And as for his assertion that Ireland's famine was different because 30% of the population was cut - surely that's the point of aid? If Myers had a time machine and a whole load of food wouldn't he go back in time and help those starving in the great hunger? I know I would.

Aid is a choice anyway, Myers doesn't have to give if he doesn't want to. I rarely give to charities myself, partly because I live on £120 a week & partly because these days I'm never sure where the money is going. But it grieves me to see people dying of hunger while I watch fatties stagger out of McDonalds with their veins full of lard. Maybe they could do an exchange scheme with an Ethiopian for a month.

Most of these organisations use the majority of their donations in admin fees.

I knew someone who was managing Freedom From Hunger on a state level and he'd spend cash on all sorts of s**t for himself and then "rack it up as a business expense". Awesome.

Vantage point makes all the difference.

We are an organization called LIGHT FOR THE CHILDREN (Namibia, Africa) and right in the midst of what some have called 'the bottom part of society' that may be 'culled' or 'curbed' or left to their own devices without donor aid to 'sort themselves out' or die out all by themselves. Just for interest sake, we did not come from elsewhere, we are from here and we are living here, by the grace of God. We are holistically involved with more than 700 children; the work is being done by 20 volunteer staff members who sometimes do not have food on their own tables, and only two are salaried. Our admin costs are maybe 10% of our expenditure.

You, hypocritical writers, may just as well be the bottom part, who knows...? Such a pity that the Christian Gospel with its grace and mercy is being leached out of today's world. And this mercy is not the source of overpopulation, think again before coming to such a superficial conclusion.
Look into one of our children's eyes and afterwards in the mirror. I'm not exploiting your feelings, but really, ask yourself: who's being redundant?

Thanks for everyone who tries to look a bit wider and deeper.
www.omaheke.givengain.org

Vantage point makes all the difference.

We are an organization called LIGHT FOR THE CHILDREN (Namibia, Africa) and right in the midst of what some have called 'the bottom part of society' that may be 'culled' or 'curbed' or left to their own devices without donor aid to 'sort themselves out' or die out all by themselves. Just for interest sake, we did not come from elsewhere, we are from here and we are living here, by the grace of God. We are holistically involved with more than 700 children; the work is being done by 20 volunteer staff members who sometimes do not have food on their own tables, and only two are salaried. Our admin costs are maybe 10% of our expenditure.

You, hypocritical writers, may just as well be the bottom part, who knows...? Such a pity that the Christian Gospel with its grace and mercy is being leached out of today's world. And this mercy is not the source of overpopulation, think again before coming to such a superficial conclusion.
Look into one of our children's eyes and afterwards in the mirror. I'm not exploiting your feelings, but really, ask yourself: who's being redundant?

Thanks for everyone who tries to look a bit wider and deeper.

Do you advocate people using contraception?

I don't trust the whole Sponsorship thing when I heard abotu that guy who sponsored a little girl from basically birth, then went over to meet her once she turned 18, and then took her back to Australian and married her. That was just wierd and kinda gross.

Most of these organisations use the majority of their donations in admin fees.

I knew someone who was managing Freedom From Hunger on a state level and he'd spend cash on all sorts of s**t for himself and then "rack it up as a business expense". Awesome.
"Most" use the "majority"? I don't think that is the case.

However the good ones report their admin expenses as a percentage of donations received.

Contraception is only a part of the solution. Strangely but true, people may choose to have more children when they feel endangered and hopeless, or if they themselves had been born and raised in such circumstances. Of course we advocate contraceptives, but the root causes have to be addressed. And this is hard work! We know that caring, loving and educating children and their families in a holistic way, reduces the instances of unplanned births and teenage pregnancies.

We think that sponsorships for individual children should be part of a verifiable program. We are rather in favour of supporting or contributing to a whole program than sponsoring an individual child.

Admin expenses: without staff, facilities and running costs it would be impossible to run a proper program. Though - human nature being what it is
- misuses occur, lets beware of falling for media sensationalism and in such a way bedevil many good intentions. Lives are at stake.

Isn't it too late for "curbing"?

And does your your curbing include contraception and abortion?

Why not cull yourself? I mean if you truly beleive then you should be the first to surrender your life in the best interests of the species at large.

The world is certainly overpopulated. I would certainly support culling some of our population. Australian society could be dramatically improved by getting rid of the bottom 5 percent. As for African nations, we should just remove aid. Let them sort themselves out and there will be a natural cull.

Eugenics board.

Why not cull yourself? I mean if you truly beleive then you should be the first to surrender your life in the best interests of the species at large.

:thumbsu: Well played sir.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back