Analysis Worrying Trend For Goalkicking Accuracy

Remove this Banner Ad

maybe the opposition are willing to give us inside 50's for the reasons mentioned by everyone here. If the opposition know they out number our forwards due to our game plan, it is a free hit to slingshot the ball back.
There's clearly a plan to push us wide - we're bad at set shots so marginal shots on an angle will likely end up as a behind and a possession for them, noting they normally have a better ruck division than ours so clearing the ball out of our F50 is much easier even if they need to employ the get out kick to the rucks on a flank.

Forgetting (for a moment) that we're the worst, I watch at least some of most other games and EVERY other team has several shocking misses every week. Misses that simply shouldn't happen. "I could have kicked that!" I yell.

Is goal-kicking accuracy declining for any particular reason/s and what can be done about it?
Brad Scott has the solution (and I am surprised by ever typing that sentence).

He told the sports science people to GTFO and lets his players take as many set shots after training as they want.
Ben Brown kicks 20 goals in a row before leaving the track. If he misses on 19, he starts again at zero. Sometimes that takes a while but guess what? His kicking for goal is solid and perhaps improving.

It's simply repetition, practice and routine. Something we clearly don't have, if you watched Smith spin the ball in his hands and shuffle in last weekend to kick the ball 30m on a 45 degree angle away from the goals while swing the ball between his hands so the ball drop was merely a guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back