Coach Worsfold - On the brink?

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon great Matthew Lloyd wants the struggling AFL club to look at other coaching options, saying they are underachieving under John Worsfold.
The former star full-forward says John Worsfold is under major pressure and their whole coaching structure needs an overhaul.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/39ec1676e5a88b973aeda8a72e0f9cb1

Is Essendon insider Lloydy correct? Has Worsfold run his course?

Personally I think Worsfold has done a fantastic job. Anyone who could get a list like that into the finals must have some serious acumen and gameday nous.

But after hearing Worsfold talkiing to the media some absolute desperate nonsense about last year was his first 'real' year as coach - and the common refrain of "well look at how well it went for Richmond after they stuck fat with Hardwick" - makes me think he may be in serious trouble after all.

Look out if they lose to Carlton this week.

Last edited:

So we a guaranteed more coaching blood this week then? Either Bolton or Woosha get the flick?

Baying we are, absolutely baying. Sack them all!

I'd sack Chris Scott ahead of any other coach right now. He's had a dream team list and failed to deliver.

I'd sack Chris Scott ahead of any other coach right now. He's had a dream team list and failed to deliver.
Sack them all!

Maybe people, especially Essendon supporting Media people, need to stop over rating Essendon every year.
I like their list. May not be quite premiership quality but I think finals is a realistic expectation.

Agree giving him the boot now is pointless though.

I have sympathy for his sure to be derided comment that last year was his first real year as coach. For obvious reasons 2016 was a write off (and he did well considering) and because of circumstance was obliged to continue on with the returning suspended players in 2017 because of circumstance and did very well to make finals.

But the last 18 months have been very disappointing, something the late run of wins last year covered up.

If I was on the Dons board, what would've given me doubts was that Swans performance. They'd had a horror first two games than recovered and against a struggling Swans outfit that was a must-win. But they started the match like it was a JLT match and the rest is history.

If they miss finals again, don't think Worsfold can complain much if he's moved on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spent too long sitting with D Barrett. Starting to sound like him.
True. I liked Lloyd in his early years as a media pundit but he's getting a habit of making provocative big headline statements a bit often now.

I guess that's what happens when you're in the Footy Classified environment for too long.

Was Lloyd involved in Knights getting the knife and Hird being installed at Essendon?
Yep. every chance Lloyd got, he went after Knights in the media.

Still held a grudge against Knights wanting Lloyd to not play FF and to give some kids a go in his last season. Lloyd then retired, went straight into the media and went about getting him sacked and bringing his mate Hird into coach.

How did that turn out for ya Lloydy???

One guy has been in charge of their recruitment for 20 years and since 2001 they have been between mediocre and absolutely woeful.
You are sadly mistaken, good sir.

I have it on good authority Adrian Dadoro wins trade week almost every year.

Lloyd has a point re their support staff. Some have been there forever.

If after Hird they’d gone down a hard rebuilding path I think he’d have more rope but they’ve retained mature aged fringe players like Mckernan, Stewart and Brown and gone all out on recruiting big name mature recruits.

That sends a signal you see yourself as a finals side so recent results look particularly poor.

Yeah, sack him while he's on top of the ladder, for past indiscretions! That'll learn him!

Nevermind a replacement, either!

Was Lloyd involved in Knights getting the knife and Hird being installed at Essendon?
He's an influential powerbroker down windy hill way. They don't call him the Velvet Sledgehammer for nothing. He got rid of Knights, and now he has Worsfold in his sights too. The Count has bloods on his hands.

Rumours floating about the place they have the all clear to give Brad Scott a very easy path through the 'process' to get the head job at Essendon.

Watch this space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back