Club History Worst 22 of the 2000's

Remove this Banner Ad

Dory_77

Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
With the chat about Bailey/Neeld era hacks of late, and as a means to nip in the bud any hubris that's developed over the last season or so, I was thinking of putting together a team of our worst players of this millennium. Kinda similar to what Headless ran last year where we pick from players who debuted for us from 2000 on to make the anti-team of the century.

Outside of debuting/being drafted post-2000 (I imagine at least one of the team will have 0 games to their name) players could be nominated/chosen however you choose to define shitness, and we've been shit a lot of different ways since 2000. That said, I'm open to hearing ideas for criteria or rules.

If people are interested I'll try and put some voting process together this weekend. This could be voted on by the board for each line (perhaps like the old Demon bracket style voting), e.g. by backs, mids forwards, so we can all reminisce about how awful we were.

Neeld obviously is the coach of this band of scoundrels and ne'er-do-wells.

Lampers

Club Legend
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Fantastic idea.

I think it should go beyond onfield ineptitude as the criteria.

For example, Harley Bennell and Mitch Clark both had some obvious skills, but they brought a different style of shitness to the table.

And the nominator needs to define why the player should have this honour.

One last thing.

If Tom freaking Gillies isn’t captain, then we are having a laugh. Tom played the backline like he was an opposition sleeper cell bent on generating goals against Melbourne. An immense physical specimen, yet so I physical as a defender. He proved Geelong could indeed recruit poor players during their golden era, and validated the Melbourne system could make a player even worse.

schmuttt

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham United
Make it they had to have at least played one senior game.

00Stinger

100 - 7
May 8, 2007
@ HOME
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
FB- Terlich, Sellar J Bennell
HB-Valenti, MacNamara, Gillies
C- Morton, Bode, Barry
HF- Kennedy-Harris, Fitzpatrick, Newton
FF- Moorcroft, T Smith, Maric
FOL- Meeson, Couch, Funcke
INT- Weetra, Blease, S Motlop, Hunter

A11dAtP0w3R

Strong Premiership DNA
Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers. Zach Wilson.
C- Morton, Bode, Barry

Strauss was worse than Blease, FAR worse

00Stinger

100 - 7
May 8, 2007
@ HOME
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Strauss was worse than Blease, FAR worse
Left him out because of his snapped leg. Can't blame a bloke for being shit after nearly losing their leg on the footy field

Blease was soft as shit and a cocky arrogant campaigner. His regular 7 possession games on a wing were a thing of pure yuckness

A11dAtP0w3R

Strong Premiership DNA
Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Left him out because of his snapped leg. Can't blame a bloke for being shit after nearly losing their leg on the footy field

Blease was soft as shit and a cocky arrogant campaigner. His regular 7 possession games on a wing were a thing of pure yuckness

Strauss was garbage before breaking his leg, never did anything of note, such a nothing player, Blease also snapped his leg once, and kicked 5 goals in a AFL game.

00Stinger

100 - 7
May 8, 2007
@ HOME
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Strauss was garbage before breaking his leg, never did anything of note, such a nothing player, Blease also snapped his leg once, and kicked 5 goals in a AFL game.
Yeah good points

But Blease was a red head cocky prick who actually thought he was a star despite being shit. Strauss seemed likable but just shit

So Bleases w***er attitude gives him the nod imo. Plus he actually had the chance to go to a good team in Geelong to prove he wasn't fully shit. But turns out he was

A11dAtP0w3R

Strong Premiership DNA
Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Yeah good points

But Blease was a red head cocky prick who actually thought he was a star despite being shit. Strauss seemed likable but just shit

So Bleases w***er attitude gives him the nod imo. Plus he actually had the chance to go to a good team in Geelong to prove he wasn't fully shit. But turns out he was

Yea they were both shit, I just thought Blease was less shit. At least he showed something once.

A11dAtP0w3R

Strong Premiership DNA
Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chris Dawes has to be centre half forward for me. What an overpay from both a draft capital and contract perspective, complete waste of time.

And if you dont have the Toump in there something is wrong with you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
C- Morton, Bode, Barry

‘Great’ 22. However I have more angst towards high draft picks who do absolutely nothing than battlers and misfits.

Therefore Lucas Cook and Jimmy Toumpas are just about first picked. Luke Tapscott sneaks in on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Scythe94

100-7 🏆
Aug 12, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
C- Morton, Bode, Barry
Excuse the duck me, where is Dan Nicholson? Outside of Gillies, he's just about the worst footballer I've ever seen. Couldn't kick more than 35 metres, and every kick was a helicopter. Like seriously, every kick.

Dory_77

Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Make it they had to have at least played one senior game.
I do think this is a decent rule, but maybe have one exception for someone who was so spudly they couldn't even crack the team (most likely for Lucas Cook, who unlike Molan or other draft busts doesn't have horrific injuries to fall back on for never getting picked).

Bluelegs

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2012
Robbo's sleeve
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Greenbay Packers
Please post the best low lights to help your case.

Cale Morton should be in every team just for this:

Blease and Sellar for their extraordinary tacking efforts

00Stinger

100 - 7
May 8, 2007
@ HOME
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
‘Great’ 22. However I have more angst towards high draft picks who do absolutely nothing than battlers and misfits.

Therefore Lucas Cook and Jimmy Toumpas are just about first picked. Luke Tapscott sneaks in on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Forgot about the Toump

Lucas Cook missed the 22 as he never made a senior appearance

00Stinger

100 - 7
May 8, 2007
@ HOME
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Excuse the fu** me, where is Dan Nicholson? Outside of Gillies, he's just about the worst footballer I've ever seen. Couldn't kick more than 35 metres, and every kick was a helicopter. Like seriously, every kick.
It's pretty hard to fit 57 spuds in 22

They are quite a few dishonourable mentions

Bluelegs

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2012
Robbo's sleeve
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Greenbay Packers
Dan Nicholson too scared to pick up the ball, trying and failing to milk a high free before disposing the ball goal side straight to the Freo players.

LBJ6

Club Legend
May 6, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Heat
Alexis Georgiou to get a run in the backline

KickLongTackleHard

2021 🏆
May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I do think this is a decent rule, but maybe have one exception for someone who was so spudly they couldn't even crack the team (most likely for Lucas Cook, who unlike Molan or other draft busts doesn't have horrific injuries to fall back on for never getting picked).
Played a game or drafted first round?

KickLongTackleHard

2021 🏆
May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
C- Morton, Bode, Barry
JKH and Tim Smith are superstars in that team, deserve to be dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad