Analysis Worst AFL contracts.

Remove this Banner Ad

$800k a year for 5 years. Fine individual season but not in the top 10 of the best and fairest?

Sometimes opinions differ between fans and the official awards.

Having a look at the top 10 of Melbourne's B&F this year, as an outside viewer, I've got no idea how Lever didn't make it ahead of at least Brayshaw, Hibberd, and Weideman.

Not in the top 10 of the best and fairest and on $800k a year. He is about $300k a year over what he should be on. Terrible contract

Lol. You probably shouldn't gobble up every scrap that Mark Ricciuto throws out there - much of it is very bitter. Lever is on no where near $800k. He's also done a knee in the middle of it and it was 4 years.

Sometimes opinions differ between fans and the official awards.

Having a look at the top 10 of Melbourne's B&F this year, as an outside viewer, I've got no idea how Lever didn't make it ahead of at least Brayshaw, Hibberd, and Weideman.

I thought he was pretty good this year and I watched a lot of the season. Club B&F's can be weird though, different voting methods etc.

What has Ned Guy done at Collingwood?

Back ended every single middle tier player to pay their top 3-4 what they want?

Absolute TPP bomb waiting to happen.

Phillips, Trelaor, Cox, Stephenson all on back ended big money deals in 2021. So when they do have to clear room, their trade value diminishes with these contracts hanging around their necks.

Terrible list management.

Last edited:
Rory Sloane.

The fact a club favourite needed to be offered such a rediculously long contract otherwise he'd potentially have moved was terrible on the Club and in particular him.

The Crows signed a bunch of bad ones around that time, which obviously made it look worse when they chose not to offer lesser for younger players later on.
The classic trap of over rating your own list when you have a shot and going overboard signing everyone on. Thank God for the cats rigid pay structure that's about to get thrown out a window

God,

What has Ned Guy done at Collingwood?

Back ended every single middle tier player to pay their top 3-4 what they want?

Absolute TPP bomb waiting to happen.

Phillips, Trelaor, Cox, Stephenson all on back ended big money deals in 2021. So when they do have to clear room, their trade value diminishes with these contracts hanging around their necks.

Terrible list management.
Seems it has gone off already

Yeah that’s a stinker contract. Gave up a lot of draft capital too. It was essentially a top 10 pick and mcadam who looks like he’ll be better than McGovern aswell.
McGovern is crap, can't argue with that.

Can you tell me how pick 28, 30, future 5th rd and McAdam for McGovern and a future 3rd = a top 10 pick + McAdam?

Especially when in the same draft Adelaide traded 28, 30 and 40 and only got them pick 13?

Try doing a little research before posting.

Has to be the Beams contract doesn't it?

Mason Cox would be up there too if the reports of him triggering a 550k extension are correct.

McGovern a worthy nomination at the moment also, though he's not in the same conversation as the Beams contract.

Probably easier to list the handful of guys who had their value pumped up by free agency or big poaching offers that ended up earning it than all the blokes who scored themselves a five year deal on an extra 300k and then sank back into mediocrity.

Funnily, Dusty is the guy I was sure would flame out. Signing a huge deal on the back of his clear best season at the time, but he's gone from strength to strength.

McGovern is crap, can't argue with that.

Can you tell me how pick 28, 30, future 5th rd and McAdam for McGovern and a future 3rd = a top 10 pick + McAdam?

Especially when in the same draft Adelaide traded 28, 30 and 40 and only got them pick 13?

Try doing a little research before posting.
It was 26 and 28 at the time which sits between pick 9 and 10 on the points table.

As it stands Leon Cameron & Mitch McGovern,
Don't forget Gibbs. (To Crows).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By the way. What exactly is the problem with MM? I haven't kept up since he left the Crows.
He hurt himself early on and ended up putting on a bit of weight which resulted in him being dropped from the side to get himself back into shape which didn't earn him many fans.
IMO much of the frustration stems from him having the ability to be a good player but that he appears to lack the determination to have a real go of it which, coupled with him going head to head with Jack Silvagni for a spot in the side has made him a bit of a whipping boy for some of our supporters.

IMO much of the frustration stems from him having the ability to be a good player but that he appears to lack the determination to have a real go of it

Reminds me of Troy Menzel who I think is the best player I’ve seen to get delisted at that age and never picked up again.

Where do I start? We've probably got 3 or 4 that would be top 20 worst.

Beams would be the worst with McGovern being just behind

If the reports are to be believed, Tom McDonald on $700,000+ a year is mind bottling. Essentially one good season in front of goals.

600k for a player in the top 5 of their BnF should not even be in discussion for worst contract. They need experienced players and his contract is likely front-loaded

Agreed.

Few things we need to consider for GCS > they have been poorly performed, have stuff all supporters etc, and it's a long move for most of the players.

They have no choice but to pay more until they can make themselves desirable like Brisbane have.

Not only that but $600k for a bloke with two medal around his neck...that's great experience, insight into the best team in the league, mentoring for younger players etc. About right for Ellis and GCS.

Probably easier to list the handful of guys who had their value pumped up by free agency or big poaching offers that ended up earning it than all the blokes who scored themselves a five year deal on an extra 300k and then sank back into mediocrity.

Funnily, Dusty is the guy I was sure would flame out. Signing a huge deal on the back of his clear best season at the time, but he's gone from strength to strength.

His output during the year has dropped a little but it's hard to be unhappy with him when he kicks 4 ridiculous goals in your 3rd GF in 4 years.

Mr September (or October)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back