Analysis Worst AFL contracts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably easier to list the handful of guys who had their value pumped up by free agency or big poaching offers that ended up earning it than all the blokes who scored themselves a five year deal on an extra 300k and then sank back into mediocrity.

Funnily, Dusty is the guy I was sure would flame out. Signing a huge deal on the back of his clear best season at the time, but he's gone from strength to strength.
3 years into his 7 year contract and the guy arguably has delivered 3 flags the $8 mil over 7 years is well worth it and has 4 years remaining
only 29 and has proven to be extremely durable playing nearly 250 games and averaging 22 games a year.
He could potentially ply until 35/36 years of age and 350-380 games.

But his contract combined with Lynch's contract has pushed players out as you would expect but thankfully no top tier players

3 years into his 7 year contract and the guy arguably has delivered 3 flags the $8 mil over 7 years is well worth it and has 4 years remaining
only 29 and has proven to be extremely durable playing nearly 250 games and averaging 22 games a year.
He could potentially ply until 35/36 years of age and 350-380 games.

But his contract combined with Lynch's contract has pushed players out as you would expect but thankfully no top tier players
How many guys at richmond would be on the big money outside of dusty and lynch?
Nank isnt getting that much and you dont really have any other BIG named defenders or mids that would command the huge bucks.
I would have thought you had 2-3 maybe big $$ signings and the rest on better than average money but nothing spectacular.
Players resigning because under dusty's wing they will probably get 1-3 more premierships before retirement.

How many guys at richmond would be on the big money outside of dusty and lynch?
Nank isnt getting that much and you dont really have any other BIG named defenders or mids that would command the huge bucks.
I would have thought you had 2-3 maybe big $$ signings and the rest on better than average money but nothing spectacular.
Players resigning because under dusty's wing they will probably get 1-3 more premierships before retirement.

Rance was on a few bob

Why is Dustin Martin even being discussed in this thread?

Pretty hard to argue he isn't earning his keep. Could probably go the other way and say he is on unders really, depending on who you want compare it to. Love or hate him and/or the Tiges, but nothing wrong with his deal and output.

Rory Sloane.

The fact a club favourite needed to be offered such a rediculously long contract otherwise he'd potentially have moved was terrible on the Club and in particular him.

The Crows signed a bunch of bad ones around that time, which obviously made it look worse when they chose not to offer lesser for younger players later on.

They were desperate to hold onto as many of the GF 22 that they could. Sloane is on elite mid $ and he was certainly not delivering that when extended and won't in any year of the contract.

Sloane is the one guy I'd be happy to pay overs for, been a warrior for us and couldnt represent the club any better off field. With retention issues he was an important signing. Still has good football left in him, but not really required in the midfield.

I think we gave Jenkins 600k over 5 years, possibly more. Brisbane offered 750k. Liability against the big dog clubs and plays like a small.

Anything over one cent for the Gibbs deal was overs.

Mitch McGovern has to be the worst deal of all time, followed by Dale Thomas.

Hannebery is up there although he might come good after good signs in the finals.

I wouldn't call it the "worst" contract, but a 3 year contract for Travis Colyer, who has played maybe 1 good game since he got here and has offered nothing but s**t kicks and getting caught too often, isn't very good

Spot on.

This is what happens when you have players that are business partners of, or at least have been business partners of one of the board members.
Im a Sloane fan, but ever since he held the club to ransom, I lost it for him.

He shouldn't have done that. He's the face of the club.

2-3 years. Max. His age, his body, 6 or whatever it was was a joke.

Sloane is the one guy I'd be happy to pay overs for, been a warrior for us and couldnt represent the club any better off field. With retention issues he was an important signing. Still has good football left in him, but not really required in the midfield.

I think we gave Jenkins 600k over 5 years, possibly more. Brisbane offered 750k. Liability against the big dog clubs and plays like a small.

Anything over one cent for the Gibbs deal was overs.

Mitch McGovern has to be the worst deal of all time, followed by Dale Thomas.

Hannebery is up there although he might come good after good signs in the finals.

Sloane is a s**t leader on too much for too long. Wake up. The wrong people took control, Sloane as captain is one of their decisions. He's never front and centre after a loss. He lauded contested minds on behalf of admin at the very same time that the group was falling apart. He's a s**t leader and we need to move on from him.

Sloane is a sh*t leader on too much for too long. Wake up. The wrong people took control, Sloane as captain is one of their decisions. He's never front and centre after a loss. He lauded contested minds on behalf of admin at the very same time that the group was falling apart. He's a sh*t leader and we need to move on from him.

Might be a good fit at richmond

Sloane is a sh*t leader on too much for too long. Wake up. The wrong people took control, Sloane as captain is one of their decisions. He's never front and centre after a loss. He lauded contested minds on behalf of admin at the very same time that the group was falling apart. He's a sh*t leader and we need to move on from him.

sloane is all positivity in the media, and will back the club and boys regardless of circumstances. Who knows if he actually though collective minds were good, clearly he knew some were left distraught. It was reported he was one of the guys asking questions of management during 2018. Talla is the only one I’d have captain over him before Doedee takes over.

Senior Adelaide players have a high level of entitlement that wouldn't work too well at a performance geared enterprise.

Probably make an exception for a player of that quality. Richmond have the picks and I think cap space.

I'd target sloane or fyfe. As important as they are surely adelaide and freo need to become more serious about the rebuilds? There are a lot of teams with good young players, going to need a point of difference eventually.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle aren't serious about their rebuild unless they trade Fyfe?

Early contender for worst take of the year right there.

Getting a cameron type deal might be the difference in 5 years from now (say, carlton). When half the comp is eyeing off a flag.

Or they might win one with fyfe. (probably not). We will see.

I was going to include cripps but he may just walk.

Dylan Shiel

Dylan Shiel

Was his for 5 years?

If so, I tend to agree with you.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also a bit more acceptable when Richmond have got a lot right.

Bit different when the Crows stink, with some bad contracts of their own handed out, and consistently losing players. Then Ricciuto is bagging other clubs and players for contracts. Ricciuto doesn't really have much to back his opinion. I wouldn't want Glenn Archer publicly rubbishing Higgins or Brown either.
The Crows "losing" players is a bit of a myth.

Gunston was a shock, and they would have kept Lever at a reasonable number.

Most players that have left wanted to stay and would have stayed if the Crows had paid up for them. Keath, Greenwood, Cameron. Hell, even McGovern re-signed and then got shitty about money.

Jake Lever.... massive contract for a guy that has not delivered much since shifting to Melbourne

Mitch McGovern owns this thread though

Dayne Beams right up there too
Jared Polec also
Yeah, we forget the enormous amount that Lever was offered, and he hasn't been able to actually become a key defender.

Lever was very good this year IMO. Didn't get the kudos he deserved for a fine individual season.
Perhaps - but you shouldn't be paying a third tall defender what he's earning.

There are a lot that are delivering what Lever is (in an easy position, too) and are earning a much lower wage.

Rory Sloane.

The fact a club favourite needed to be offered such a rediculously long contract otherwise he'd potentially have moved was terrible on the Club and in particular him.

The Crows signed a bunch of bad ones around that time, which obviously made it look worse when they chose not to offer lesser for younger players later on.
He's an absolute legend of the club, and a champion. He was offered industry standard for a top five player at a club. It may be a year or two too long, but the dollar value was about right.

Lol. You probably shouldn't gobble up every scrap that Mark Ricciuto throws out there - much of it is very bitter. Lever is on no where near $800k. He's also done a knee in the middle of it and it was 4 years.
It wasn't Ricciuto that said that - it was widely reported.

Here's literally the first thing that comes up in a Google search.

McGovern is crap, can't argue with that.

Can you tell me how pick 28, 30, future 5th rd and McAdam for McGovern and a future 3rd = a top 10 pick + McAdam?

Especially when in the same draft Adelaide traded 28, 30 and 40 and only got them pick 13?

Try doing a little research before posting.
Settle. We all know the trade was.

Forget all the small pieces - Carlton got McGovern, Adelaide got 13 and McAdam, Sydney got points.

Sure it wasn't a top ten, but his point remains.

# # #

Adelaide has been able to accommodate forward Mitch McGovern's wish to join Carlton with a trade officially finalised on Wednesday morning.

As part of a three-way deal, the Crows receive pick No. 13, a future fifth-round selection from Carlton and highly-rated Sturt forward Shane McAdam, who the Blues were able to claim as one of their mature-aged pre-draft access picks.

Carlton gains McGovern and a future third-round selection from Adelaide, while Sydney receives selections No. 26 and 28 from the Blues as well as No. 40 from the Crows.

Hahaha. Everyone knows the points table is a load of crap. No one would ever trade pick 10 for 26 and 28.
No, but someone DID trade 13 for it.

No one is going to trade and not get a small bump in points, but it gives you a rough value.

He's an absolute legend of the club, and a champion. He was offered industry standard for a top five player at a club. It may be a year or two too long, but the dollar value was about right.

Champion blokes don’t hold the club over a barrel threatening to walk if they don’t get what they want. Legend of the club or not. Great player, actually diminishes his standing in my book because of it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back