Analysis Worst AFL contracts.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Surprised Motlop is going under the radar, with his $600K per year at Port. Absolute perennial 'contract year player.' Will have a blinder this year, and then get another 3 year contract...where he does absolutely nothing. Rinse and repeat.

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Surprised Motlop is going under the radar, with his $600K per year at Port. Absolute perennial 'contract year player.' Will have a blinder this year, and then get another 3 year contract...where he does absolutely nothing. Rinse and repeat.

Don't think Port will give a sh*t if they win a flag this year really.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Harley Bennell per games played for the $$$ he received would have to be up there

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
surely josh kelly takes the cake.

writing in a clause where the player can choose to walk or extend their contract for a long time and on a huge pretedermined sum of money, is just absolutely absurd.

if you're going to give him a huge length and paycheck, lock him in so he cant just leave. If hes not locked in, dont give him the paycheck.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

Don't think you haven't watched us much then considering we have had one of the deepest lists in the comp for the past 2 years and he's still getting games which should be some sort of clue as to how he's been going compared to someone like Jack Stevens. And honestly even if he leaves us without a flag his Showdown goal is enough to make it all worth it.

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
Don't think you haven't watched us much then considering we have had one of the deepest lists in the comp for the past 2 years and he's still getting games which should be some sort of clue as to how he's been going compared to someone like Jack Stevens. And honestly even if he leaves us without a flag his Showdown goal is enough to make it all worth it.

'Don't think I haven't watched you much'...so I have watched you...lol? I watch every game mate. It's now how many games he plays, it's how he plays in them.

Btw it's Jack SteveN, and the guy suffered from mental health issues, split with his partner, got stabbed, was on our list for all of 10 months and then mutually parted (really classy to bring that up). Motlop has been on your list 3 years going on 4, and has one moment you can speak of in that entire time - whilst you pay him 500-600K per year. The guy plays for contracts, and then disappears - he did it with us, and he'll do it with you guys. Don't know why it offends you so much. Steven at least had an excuse, Motlop is just lazy.

P.S. you might want to relax about your list, as you've played North and Essendon in the opening two rounds, which will likely be Bottom 3. You've done nothing yet, and a lot of you are acting like you've already got 1 hand on the flag - it's a long season.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
and has one moment you can speak of in that entire time
I can think of another, final last year....

images.jpeg

Don't know why it offends you so much.
Should ask you the same, or is it that you are still bitter he played well in the Final?

P.S. you might want to relax about your list, as you've played North and Essendon in the opening two rounds,
Well, atleast we didn't lose to the Crows. The Wooden Spooners.

Or get a dodgy Umpiring decision to save us in R2.

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
I can think of another, final last year....

View attachment 1091805

Should ask you the same, or is it that you are still bitter he played well in the Final?

Well, atleast we didn't lose to the Crows. The Wooden Spooners.

Or get a dodgy Umpiring decision to save us in R2.

Fancy creating all this furore, over Steven Motlop. This has got to be seriously one of the dumbest back and forths I've got into on BF, in a while - if not ever.

When you look at it totality, and the trade haul we got for Tim Kelly, we ended up with 2 years of Tim Kelly, 3 years of Ablett, Jeremy Cameron, Cooper Stephens and a likely mid 20's future pick, for Motlop, lol. I'm pretty comfortable with our decision.

Look at you with the clever 'zingers.' I honestly couldn't care how he goes. He's a lazy downhill skier, which has nothing to do with Port as a whole. You keep trying to have a jab to defend Motlop, but I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve.

We still made the Grand Final, regardless btw...sooo...not sure of the relevance.

Anyway, whatever, I seem to have touched a nerve due to both of you and your undying Motlop love. Gonna put you both on ignore now, because there's really no point in this 'convo.' You both seem to have taken this rather personally, when it was about Motlop as a player, not Port Adelaide as a club. Going after Steven was pathetic, so they got a jab back for that. Now you're taking pot shots at Geelong as a club, because I made a pretty factual statement about one of your/one of our ex-players - who is notorious for his lackluster effort in non-contract years, over the latter half of his career.

What a pointless argument, as I only posted a throwaway comment, and you both went right for the throat. Sad.

Don't bother responding, as I've wasted far more time than I would like on Steven 'I only play well in a contract year' Motlop

Catch

Last edited:

Two Planks

Norm Smith Medallist
May 14, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Bradley Hill is a good player with an elite pay cheque.

Leon Cameron is the worst contract in the AFL.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Fancy creating all this furore, over Steven Motlop. This has got to be seriously one of the dumbest back and forths I've got into on BF, in a while - if not ever
Yes, fancy getting worked up about a player, you lost, that we are happy about.

Glad we agree.

I'm not reading your post. Motlop isn't even close to the worst in the league.

Chris Yarran contract for Richmond might not be the worst compared to some of the others mentioned but got to be the most frustrating one recently for the tigers

I agree you've got a pretty deep list and Motlops contract doesn't belong in this thread though it does overpay him a bit. But the comparison to Jack Steven is a little silly. Saints paid some of his contract, gave up a nothing pick. Not a great end to his career but the cats gave him a contract that accounted for said risk.

Aidan Corr has a 5 year deal.

Back