Worst AFL journalist and how they ruin the sport for you?

Remove this Banner Ad

We're up to #46 and no Jon Ralph? Complete lightweight who has no strong opinions, asks no strong questions and gets the most basic of facts wrong time and again in print and on radio/TV. Hate the way Fox cross to him in "The News Room" (ie. a studio just down the hallway from the main one) and pretend he has his finger on the pulse of what's going on when he just tells us what we can see on the screen already and then makes a random guess at what the outcome might be and/or speculates on some gossip which he just made up. Apparently he's "The Buzz" on SEN. o_O

I literally didn't realise he was an actual journalist, seems more like a glorified boundary rider.

The trouble is that they pretend to be better than you and then well I am better than them because I am not supercilious or pontificating about my next move, nor am I going to attempt to grass or is that grope them.

Caro does likeability, Robbo does, me like everyone, Gerard does I am straight, and well I can't be bothered with the others.

But they always like to read and hear their name and so it isn't fulfilling to all of them but I ain't going to conclude the story.

It is just brainsnapping but well some Hawthorn journos just take themselves so seriously that it is hilarious. If it was a skin flick it would be tie me up, tie me down to rattle some peoples cage. So I won't. o_O

As a North supporter, I'd like to say Caro but she's actually a pretty good journo. Just needs to not let her biases get in the way when she's presenting facts.

As an aspiring journalist, reading this thread gives me some good pointers on what NOT to do when and if I get there. :thumbsu:

If you're wanting to please fans like those on BigFooty, the best advice is to just do positive feature articles and make a career out of that.

Hell, Emma Quayle wrote one article that was a breaking news story (the Tippett story) and she got abused all around by Adelaide supporters, despite being 100 per cent correct.

Sport journalism really is an industry that you have to go in expecting to be hated and willing to tough it out if you're going to make it.

If you're proud of your work, then that's all you need to concern yourself with as you'll never please everyone, no matter how hard you may try.

If you're wanting to please fans like those on BigFooty, the best advice is to just do positive feature articles and make a career out of that.

Hell, Emma Quayle wrote one article that was a breaking news story (the Tippett story) and she got abused all around by Adelaide supporters, despite being 100 per cent correct.

Sport journalism really is an industry that you have to go in expecting to be hated and willing to tough it out if you're going to make it.

If you're proud of your work, then that's all you need to concern yourself with as you'll never please everyone, no matter how hard you may try.

Yeah, i'm resigned to the fact that I will probably be making more foes than friends (if I make it)

As a North supporter, I'd like to say Caro but she's actually a pretty good journo. Just needs to not let her biases get in the way when she's presenting facts.

I wish journalism still had the mantra of leaving your opinions at the door.

To think somewhat out of the box on this, I'll nominate two journalists for the impact they made on AFL journalism, rather than any current work.

Eddie McGuire is the first one. Now, I think he's actually a very good journalist, however, he was the first real journalist who made himself a brand, which has got us to where we are now with the likes of Mark Robinson (I actually like Robbo as well, funnily enough).

The second journalist is Craig Hutchinson. While he has toned down in recent years as his protege Barrett has taken over, he was the first journalist to make a brand out of ambulance chasing. This has paved the way for the likes of Barrett, Wilson and Smith to become household names and personalities based off nothing more than looking for a scoop and a scalp.

Best post in this thread. :thumbsu:

Which brings me to Robbo, last night...

Does this guy realise how ******* stupid he is? He answered his own question and made it out to be the dumbest question you could ask o_O

He's easily the worst for me, I hate lots of others don't get me wrong, but Robbo belongs in the pub, not head writer for Australia's number one newspaper. He makes it difficult to just grab the paper on that Sunday morning after a good win and read the match report without his stupid opinion smearing the paper. Thank god for writers like Emma Quayle, Greg Baum, even guys like Jay Clark and indeed players themselves Robert Murphy and Scott Pendlebury have written some great pieces lately. Funny how players are better journalists then some of these guys who go to university for years and have worked their way up the industry.

I like Robbo. I think the way he views the game is very conversational, like you're having a chat with him having a beer on the couch, and I like that style. Damian Barrett is not a true journalist for me. He's so desperate to be seen as a tough news breaker that he steals opinions of others, and isn't against simply making something up. He is a bottom of the barrel journalist. I like anyone who wants to share an opinion that is worth my time. I don't want to read something that everybody else thinks or has written before, I want to read an opinion that is unique. I am not so much into journalists who try to break big stories, most of the time, they don't eventuate. Those guys lack integrity, journalism shouldn't break the rules of the news world, when you only go with the story once it was been confirmed. Don't present speculation as fact, too many journalists do that. Especially Barrett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheehan, Clark, Basil, Rompingwins, Darcy, Wilson, Barrett, Hutchinson, Rucci, Matt ******* Thompson and especially that campaigner Ralphy can all * right off. Some of them are extremely talented journalists, but let there biases get in the way and then act like spoilt brats when they are called on their bullshit. It's crazy that these ********s are household names.

Add no value and a waste of air time / print real estate:
Rohan Connolly
Jon Ralph

Informed and insightful
Caro
Patrick Smith (70% time)
Tony Sheehan (like how he has been right when people have laughed him off)

Say what you will about Robbo, but he's the only journo I can think of that I'd like to have a beer with at a pub. Imagine Whateley? He'd be in a cab after 2 and a half pots, at least Robbo could hold his piss!
What has all that got to do with being a credible Journo?

One thing i would add and its very difficult but being even handed by this bring equally willing to be positive and not positive.

Lets take Caro, i image she would have more respect if from time to time she wrote something positive.

The biggest mistake a journo can make is to pretend that they are not bias and don't have a favorite team because we all have a favorite team.

It is important to still be able to criticise your favourite team.

And one other thing don't wrote something you know to be untrue and as the above comment says take pride in your work.

Say what you will about Robbo, but he's the only journo I can think of that I'd like to have a beer with at a pub. Imagine Whateley? He'd be in a cab after 2 and a half pots, at least Robbo could hold his piss!

I don't want to have a beer with any journo. Maybe a real journalist with intelligence and insight, but that rules out the entire football media immediately, and it certainly rules out Robbo.

I literally didn't realise he was an actual journalist, seems more like a glorified boundary rider.
Just another of the 'talking heads' that pose as Journo's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back