Worst afl player you've seen (and why)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ayce Cordy is the only player i've ever watched where I genuinely had no clue what he does. The worst of the 'plays because tall' bunch and there are a lot of those that come to mind.

Extra points for a ridiculous first name ... and bonus points for the even more ridiculous spelling

Nah, IMO he won't play 100 games. Unless he has some trick hidden than we can't see.

I love watching him take set shots. It's hilarious when he darts out on that angle then kicks it directly to the left of the goals. It looks like he's deliberately aiming for the left hand point post and he usually goes pretty close.

Should be delisted for having the name Gryan.

Ayce Cordy is the only player i've ever watched where I genuinely had no clue what he does. The worst of the 'plays because tall' bunch and there are a lot of those that come to mind.

Clumsiest player IMO, did genuinely try to play but wasnt up to it.

I have set the minimum games at 427 so it's clearly Brent Harvey

I've been fortunate to see a whole bunch roll through the door at Richmond in our 80s, 90s and 00s.

My list of rejects off the top of my head:

Ray Hall - Remember him running down Ronnie Burns on the wing at the G one day. That's about all I can remember him doing that wasn't falling over his own shoelaces.
James Cook - Always thought he was a rubbish front running footballer who went missing when he was required to stand up. Had a purple patch when the dogs challenged in 97 from memory. I also affectionately remember him running around the mark to dob a goal from the boundary line...... well after the siren had gone for it not to count.
All of the Houlihans - We were bequeathed with Adam from Geelong and he was one of those blokes that could kick but was too scared to do anything else. I seem to recall the Carlton one playing for about 5 years longer than he should have due to the salary cap scandal and having similar question marks over his willingness to contest the footy. Collingwood got the really crap one who I reckon only played about 5 games.
Simon Minton-Connell - This is probably unfair because he played in some horrendous teams, but my memories of him consist of being at Princess Park and him only really having one trick which was to lead up and take a chest mark.
Stuart Wigney - I'm convinced Carey played one crap game on him so he could suck the Richmond coaching staff into thinking he was a decent centre half back, because after that one good game Wayne tended to use and abuse poor Stuart.
Billy Nichols - Cut by Hawthorn, captained Carlton's reserves, played for Richmond through a shocking time and from memory was a slow, plodding thug. He was clearly great at being a thug because he went full time post AFL career and is now serving some time in the big house for shooting two blokes in Corio.

I've been fortunate to see a whole bunch roll through the door at Richmond in our 80s, 90s and 00s.

My list of rejects off the top of my head:

Ray Hall - Remember him running down Ronnie Burns on the wing at the G one day. That's about all I can remember him doing that wasn't falling over his own shoelaces.
James Cook - Always thought he was a rubbish front running footballer who went missing when he was required to stand up. Had a purple patch when the dogs challenged in 97 from memory. I also affectionately remember him running around the mark to dob a goal from the boundary line...... well after the siren had gone for it not to count.
All of the Houlihans - We were bequeathed with Adam from Geelong and he was one of those blokes that could kick but was too scared to do anything else. I seem to recall the Carlton one playing for about 5 years longer than he should have due to the salary cap scandal and having similar question marks over his willingness to contest the footy. Collingwood got the really crap one who I reckon only played about 5 games.
Simon Minton-Connell - This is probably unfair because he played in some horrendous teams, but my memories of him consist of being at Princess Park and him only really having one trick which was to lead up and take a chest mark.
Stuart Wigney - I'm convinced Carey played one crap game on him so he could suck the Richmond coaching staff into thinking he was a decent centre half back, because after that one good game Wayne tended to use and abuse poor Stuart.
Billy Nichols - Cut by Hawthorn, captained Carlton's reserves, played for Richmond through a shocking time and from memory was a slow, plodding thug. He was clearly great at being a thug because he went full time post AFL career and is now serving some time in the big house for shooting two blokes in Corio.
Ryan Houlihan was a solid player, definitely not in the conversation for worst AFL player.

His Wikipedia entry makes for funny reading though. Ryan Houlihan - Wikipedia

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh actually I’ve got a good one - Claye Beams

For a player that was supposedly valued for his kicking, all I ever saw from him were kicks over our guys’ heads and turnovers. Relatively poor athleticism too with a slow top speed and the turning circle of a cruise liner. Undoubtedly the worst player I had to endure during those years of bottom feeding

Hard to go past Folau. But I reckon Jason Daniels gives him a run for his money. In the 1997 GF, Adelaide deliberately chose to not to cover Daniels when St Kilda were kicking in from an Adelaide behind. This is because they knew if he was the target of the kick-in, he was a certainty to turn it over with his disposal.

Jaxson Barham.. his ol' man.. Ricky.. was like a GTR with a sick spoiler man.. Jaxson.. a lemon.. man.

Last edited:
Jaxson Barham.. his ol' man.. Ricky.. was like a GTR with a sick spolier man.. Jaxson.. a complete lemon.. man.
I remember him trying to run Andrew Lovett down on ANZAC Day in the come back and getting burned

Remove this Banner Ad

Back