Worst afl player you've seen (and why)

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree but he wasn’t one of them

Well, if he even maintained the level he showed during 2011, he would have been a solid AFL footballer. Theoretically, he should have become even more valuable as time went on, given the direction footy went in, but somehow he just peaked at age 19, and then began regressing.

underrated post, the Mole a very good nom.

Brent Grgic the worst player I've ever seen at Geelong, but I acknowledge he played some good footy with the Demons prior to this move down the highway.
He never did have the makings of a varsity athlete.

Liam Jones without a doubt, can’t believe he’s still playing at AFL level albeit with Carlton.

Dees matt Jones?l Seb tape suns.
Nick gill. Connor nash.dees again Rohan bail and matt white.
Dogs Howard boy oh boy!

But Lucas cook take the cake the guy was a top pick lol Egan from the pies .lance spandmann wrong spelling

That's my top ten

76 games is a lot for that fairy. His first season was actually pretty good, but never developed anything beyond being an outside accumulator with average skills and pace. Still, not even close to the worst player I've seen at Melbourne since 2007 :$

Should have a games threshold for this thread, say worst player to play at least 50 games?
Cale Mortons football form fell off a cliff . When Demons gave him to WestCoast and paid his salary I regularly saw him play in the WAFL . Pathetic . Worst player I ever seen play in the WAFL .

Troy Cook. He was terrific at getting the ball, just didnt have a clue what to do with it when he got it. And when he did handball or short pass it, he would either miss his target or pick a completely innapropriate teammate. To a lesser extent, same goes for Shaun Mcmanus. One part of the reason we were so crap for all that time.

Hey, dont get me wrong here, both were terrific guys, extremely courageous. And ok, not worse afl player ever. However, worst players that played over 200 games? Look no further.

Roger Merrett (showing my age!). However I can only comment on his career at the Bears, as I dont recall him at Essendon. Anyway, he generally played at full or centre half forward for the Bears and he was shocking. Missed marks, missed goals and was diving for free kicks way before it was fashionable. Although I'll grant you that he had some pretty suspect teammates up there at Cararra (sp?). Hey I just wiki'd him now, he played over 300 games. So he's the crappest player to play over 300 matches! Oh and rated by many to be the greatest Brisbane Bear in their short history! Really?? They were really s**t, werent they. For a time back in the late 80's and early 90's, the Sydney and Brisbane home games were the only ones shown on TV so I saw alot of them!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rohan was one of the best on ground for Hawthorn and the Bulldogs

In fairness... Jetta was hands down BOG in the 2014 GF, Rohan a close 2nd.

Liam Jones without a doubt, can’t believe he’s still playing at AFL level albeit with Carlton.

He actually has turned it up a few notches over the last 18 months. I mean credit where credit is due, surprised he got given as long as he did to prove himself though.

James Parsons is pretty awful.
How he manages to get games while also spudding it up at VFL level is very bizarre.

Genuine spud

202 Goals

That's my point.

There are a lot of full-backs in VFL/AFL history, especially in the past, who would barely have kicked 2 goals in their career, let alone 202.

How can you be "FULL-BACK of the century" if you kick 202 goals? You are supposed to be stopping goals, not kicking them.

Roger Merrett (showing my age!). However I can only comment on his career at the Bears, as I dont recall him at Essendon. Anyway, he generally played at full or centre half forward for the Bears and he was shocking. Missed marks, missed goals and was diving for free kicks way before it was fashionable. Although I'll grant you that he had some pretty suspect teammates up there at Cararra (sp?). Hey I just wiki'd him now, he played over 300 games. So he's the crappest player to play over 300 matches! Oh and rated by many to be the greatest Brisbane Bear in their short history! Really?? They were really s**t, werent they. For a time back in the late 80's and early 90's, the Sydney and Brisbane home games were the only ones shown on TV so I saw alot of them!

Key component in essendons back to back premierships in the 80s.
Kicked goals into his mid 30s in an awful bears side.
Putrid nomination.

Key component in essendons back to back premierships in the 80s.
Kicked goals into his mid 30s in an awful bears side.
Putrid nomination.

Haha yeah ok, was a bit a crap nomination. As I said, never saw him at Essendon, only the Bears. And I did acknowledge he had some pretty rubbish teammates so I guess the delivery into the forward line wasnt up to much. Still, I swear he was diving for free kicks. I hated him for it.

My shortlist;

Shaun Mckernan... showed a combined total of 15 minutes of quality football in 50+ games at 2 clubs

Richard Tambling... enough said

Jared patrenko - again 1 quarter of good football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back