Worst AFL/VFL Snipes

Remove this Banner Ad

Jonas was as bad as Milburn on Silvagni.

This isn't because of what I would do, but he is lucky it wasn't in Perth.

Dipper on any number of players including Stoneham, Walsh and Reeves.

Worsfold on Osborne.

It's not surprising that many individuals are repeated offenders.

Tom Jonas on Gaff:
[/QUOTE]
This was dangerous as it gets. An elbow to the back of the head running at speed. Could have killed the bloke.
Jonas what an idiot. Deserves to get his comeuppance at some stage in his career for his multiple dirty hits on unsuspecting players.

I don't consider shirtfronts as sniping.

Sniping is going after blokes with their head over the ball, throwing elbows, hits behind play etc.
Underrated post...are shirtfronts not still legal?

For a hit to be labelled a snipe or a dog act, surely it has to be illegal at the time it occurs. Some of the hits in this thread are legal still today, and others were legal at the time but have since been outlawed.

All of these seem legal even by today's standards. Doesn't seem to get anyone high, but I'm not full-bottle on the rules in this regard.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Underrated post...are shirtfronts not still legal?

For a hit to be labelled a snipe or a dog act, surely it has to be illegal at the time it occurs. Some of the hits in this thread are legal still today, and others were legal at the time but have since been outlawed.

I'm not full-bottle on the rules in this regard.

Shirtfronts are still legal, but the penalties for slipping high are severe - see Steven May. Even when Nick Maxwell ironed out McGinnity and broke his jaw (2009 I think, tough guy Maxy going after the midget draftee) it was a shirtfront and the shoulder made contact to jaw so there was a lot of discussion over whether it was a suspendable offence. He'd get weeks today no question. Even today Hurn laid a great shirtfront on Travis Boak in the first minute. Boak was clearly winded and went off to have his ribs checked out (thankfully OK and he came back on) but he could've easily been out for weeks. Had Hurn slipped high and got him in the head he'd be reported.

I love Beau Waters and can remember about half a dozen good bumps from him over the years but the only one that was sniping was a hit on Robert Copeland at Subi in 2006. Got 3 weeks for it I think and it looked horrible live, on replay and when being picked apart by the tribunal.

how big was matthews in that bump.......what a solid mass

Not sure. I'm sure there would be people more knowledgeable on his dimensions but if I had to guess he would have been close to 90 kilos in a sub 180cm frame.

Never seen footage of it, but Barry Young (Richmond version) on Alastair Clarkson (North edition) 1990. Exquisitely timed, almost subtle elbow while running perpendicular which laid Clarko out like a corpse. Got five weeks.

Not sure. I'm sure there would be people more knowledgeable on his dimensions but if I had to guess he would have been close to 90 kilos in a sub 180cm frame.

I can't think of anyone with that body size in the modern era

maybe voss but still taller and lighter. jarman....but a different shape. aaron hamill still taller but perhaps a similar BMI

Watching some of those clips bring back memories of how much I loved the 80's and how much I miss the big shirt fronts and hits. Yates hit on Dermie at the opening bounce of the 89 GF is still one of my all time favourites

Remove this Banner Ad

Back