Worst AFL/VFL Snipes

Remove this Banner Ad

Byron Picket would never go when it was his turn... Thats the definition of a tough player to me. You can pick off vulnerable head over the ball opponents all you like but if you continuously squib hard contests where you are the vulnerable one you''ll be remembered as a sniper. Pickett was one of the best examples of this.
Really. Provide some examples for us who are interested. Are you sure you are not mixing him up with Worsfold?

I could not care less if he is the PM of Australia. It does not change the fact that he was a dirty little sniper. Don't be late for your therapy session because I feel that your issues are worsening by each post.

My therapy is watching a loser like David Granger getting around with a potty on his head I think it's hilarious, to see him wandering around the port aimlessly

You have an inferiority complex, geelong supporters think I hate them also, so not sure how many games the bays lost to Geelong!

As for that above incident Picket was clearly going after the player whilst the player was going after the ball, with his eyes firmly planted on the player. Very similar in the way Jonas atatcks the contest..

That is the definiotion of a coward that snipes whilst players are unware

As for you, you just hate my avatar of the Famous Port Legend getting around with a Potty on his head (class act that) , just another coward sniper!

nup, you're dead set obsessed with Port Adelaide, oh well

Not going back through the pages but surely Solomon on Ling is the top answer. That was terrible.

has anyone mentioned a pre-season match between Glenelg and Woodville in the SANFL when Scott Salisbury KO'd a young Richard Champion in front of the Football Park members. That will always stand out as one of the worst snipes in Aussie Rules history

Yep, this is the only on field hit I know of that resulted in criminal charges.
I come across this video as it played after another one of Jacko.
Game had a weird mood about it. See Gary Ablett reported for not much, kicks the ball away for some reason. Apparently there were other reports in game and commentators make comment umpires do not know which way to look, then whack, Lethal Leigh just whacks Bruns. Commentator somehow blames it all on Jacko for starting off the nonsense. He goes after Matthews too, but I wonder whom actually hit Mattews after he hit Bruns.
Was it Steve Hocking or Gary Hocking or even Ablett himself ?
He was taken from field by Hawthorn trainers by force but wobbly anyway. I suspect he was attempting to whack more so would not let him loose.
What a weird game in general on the little video I come across.

Lethal was a gun player but also complete and utter thug on the field. Built like a tank so if he hit you, you stayed hit.

Game had a weird mood about it. See Gary Ablett reported for not much, kicks the ball away for some reason. Apparently there were other reports in game and commentators make comment umpires do not know which way to look, then whack, Lethal Leigh just whacks Bruns. Commentator somehow blames it all on Jacko for starting off the nonsense. He goes after Matthews too, but I wonder whom actually hit Mattews after he hit Bruns.
He was taken from field by Hawthorn trainers by force but wobbly anyway. I suspect he was attempting to whack more so would not let him loose.

Lethal was a gun player but also complete and utter thug on the field. Built like a tank so if he hit you, you stayed hit.

Sam Newman on World Of Sport the next day was very clear - Steven Hocking.

If you look at the first clip, you had to feel sorry for Jacko. How Gary Ayres got off for his clip to jacko in the first place is amazing even now. Jacko defended himself and got booked, which prompted him and Chris Langford to have a ripping one-on-one bout at the Heatley Stand end.

Ablett's report was for time-wasting - a short-lived reportable offence instituted in 1985.

Toughest player ever had to be protected from an 18 or 19 year old Steve hocking

Last edited:
beau the sniper waters

Terry Daniher absolutely flushed Gavin Brown in the '90 GF. Then landed two on Starcevich after he marked at half forward.
'89 GF was full of them. Hocking on Platten, Dipper took out a few of Hocking's teeth and he got straight up, Yeates' knee on Dermott when he was on the ground.
Long on Simmonds was scary.

Been a while since there's been a good brawl in a Grand Final too, kind of miss them.

I was only 5 at the time, so have no recollection of the match or aftermath, but it fascinates me, simply due to it being something that involved my club at the time. I guess as a Bears fan, you took and take any scraps you can get!
Hardie was at Collingwood in 1992.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rod Grinter on Terry Wallace at the Whitten Oval.
Terry wasn't looking, Grunter broke his jaw in two places. Absolute scum act.

I believe Peter Worsfold made a few friends at Kardinia Park late in 1992. I haven't seen footage or read much in the media about it, but have seen a few Cats fans mention it from their days at their Cattery.

Can be seen here. Really nasty incident, if occurred today wouldn't be surprised if criminal charges came into the discussion.

Rod Grinter on Terry Wallace at the Whitten Oval.
Terry wasn't looking, Grunter broke his jaw in two places. Absolute scum act.

Still claims it was a mistimed spoil I believe.

Were you at the western oval when Paul dear swung the thickest leg in football history right through peter foster's? I was. It got a bit edgy on the terraces that day. :huh:

Still claims it was a mistimed spoil I believe.

Were you at the western oval when Paul dear swung the thickest leg in football history right through peter foster's? I was. It got a bit edgy on the terraces that day. :huh:
Paul Deer effectively ended Fossie's career, and our genuine finals hopes for the next few years.
The tripping rule was brought in as a result. Horrible day.

Paul Deer effectively ended Fossie's career, and our genuine finals hopes for the next few years.
The tripping rule was brought in as a result. Horrible day.
Got 4 weeks I believe, which was unprecedented at the time but the act was so cynical that the league had to bring it in.

I remember being seriously pissed off at Dear. Not just because it was a campaigner act but of all the players and places to do it. Foster was one the most loved dogs ever and there I was with my hawthorn scarf surrounded by extremely mad doggies fans.

Got 4 weeks I believe, which was unprecedented at the time but the act was so cynical that the league had to bring it in.

I remember being seriously pissed off at Dear. Not just because it was a campaigner act but of all the players and places to do it. Foster was one the most loved dogs ever and there I was with my hawthorn scarf surrounded by extremely mad doggies fans.
It was terrible - but I don't really remember Dear being a known sniper although I was only a kid in the 80s.

It was terrible - but I don't really remember Dear being a known sniper although I was only a kid in the 80s.

Was '93 I think? Yeah not a sniper, just had a real bad moment. It happens.

But I just remember thinking why Peter Foster at the Western Oval ffs? May as well go ahead and deck Daicos at Vic Park, Modra at Footy Park or Silvagni at PP.

A bit irrelavent but this is one of the greatest I've seen, the macho warwick capper taunting is a pisser

*suss the spectator wanting a piece of the action and Capper dishing out the flying elbow ... poetry in motion

upload_2016-7-22_11-24-19.png

Cynical or sinister?

A bit irrelavent but this is one of the greatest I've seen, the macho warwick capper taunting is a pisser

*suss the spectator wanting a piece of the action and Capper dishing out the flying elbow ... poetry in motion

View attachment 268367

The story goes is that the spectator was the brother of the bloke in #35.

Underrated post...are shirtfronts not still legal?

For a hit to be labelled a snipe or a dog act, surely it has to be illegal at the time it occurs. Some of the hits in this thread are legal still today, and others were legal at the time but have since been outlawed.

All of these seem legal even by today's standards. Doesn't seem to get anyone high, but I'm not full-bottle on the rules in this regard.

The Ablett special at the end.
Tries the elbow to the head

Remove this Banner Ad

Back